PDA

View Full Version : Supercharged 535(M30)

535ise
03-28-2004, 07:20 PM
I'm doing some research into supercharging my 535 and was wondering if any one else has already done it and if they could share there experiances/knowledge ?

I havn't found any where that do a complete bolt on kit so at the moment i'm looking at ordering the componant's and fabricating all the brackets and tubing thats required.

I've found a place in the UK that sells Rotrex superchargers and i have compiled the following shopping list.

£ 1660 Rotrex sp30/105 super charger(from http://www.gmcmotorsport.co.uk/)
£ 60 Oil cooler for the super charger
£ 70 MAP sensor
£ 60 Various samco hoses(elbow's etc)
£ 20 Metal pipe(for connecting in between intercooler and TB)
£ 450 (EST)Custom inter cooler(Any one know of a good place to go for this in the UK ?)
£ 25 idler roller for drive belt
£ 75 tensioning roller for drive belt
£ 50 LARGE cone air filter
£ 180 Uprated injectors
£ 200 Remap ECU

£ 3348 Inc vat

As you can see its not cheap but hope fully the gain's will be worth the out lay.

Trouble is i've never owned a supercharged/turbo charged car so my knowledge on force inducion is a bit patchy as you can see by the following question's.

How much gains could i expect from say 6 lbs of boost ?(The super charger is supposed to be able to produce a max of 1.25 bar of boost)

How much boost can my engine take if i fit an intercooler with standard compression ratio(9.0:1 ? ) ?

Bmp have a thicker than standard head gasket that's aproximatly 0.25 mm thicker.Whould this lower the compression much ?

This is what i've done to my car so far.It's up to around 250 bhp (estimated @ the fly wheel)

Ported/flowed head with matched inlet manifold
Shrick cam
Fully re-mapperble stand alone ECU with no AFM
Scorpion exhaust(Mainly for the noise rather than an power gains)
No kat

Thank's for your time,

Andrew

Unregistered
03-28-2004, 10:52 PM
type 90024 as a zip code and 100 mile radious and u can see, maybe he will help u, maybe also if u want to buy. It has like 280horsepower

ryan roopnarine
03-28-2004, 10:57 PM
robbo uk had a supercharged 535i until it became impractical,,,,might wanna pm him, or ask him in the open.

I'm doing some research into supercharging my 535 and was wondering if any one else has already done it and if they could share there experiances/knowledge ?

I havn't found any where that do a complete bolt on kit so at the moment i'm looking at ordering the componant's and fabricating all the brackets and tubing thats required.

I've found a place in the UK that sells Rotrex superchargers and i have compiled the following shopping list.

£ 70 MAP sensor
£ 450 (EST)Custom inter cooler(Any one know of a good place to go for this in the UK ?)
£ 180 Uprated injectors
£ 200 Remap ECU

£ 3348 Inc vat

As you can see its not cheap but hope fully the gain's will be worth the out lay.

Trouble is i've never owned a supercharged/turbo charged car so my knowledge on force inducion is a bit patchy as you can see by the following question's.

How much gains could i expect from say 6 lbs of boost ?(The super charger is supposed to be able to produce a max of 1.25 bar of boost)

How much boost can my engine take if i fit an intercooler with standard compression ratio(9.0:1 ? ) ?

Bmp have a thicker than standard head gasket that's aproximatly 0.25 mm thicker.Whould this lower the compression much ?

This is what i've done to my car so far.It's up to around 250 bhp (estimated @ the fly wheel)

Shrick cam
No kat

Thank's for your time,

Andrew

MBXB
03-28-2004, 11:09 PM
Has anyone tried NO2 instead of turbo or supercharging? Just curious.

BigD
03-28-2004, 11:18 PM
I know eh. Come on winfred, with all your talk about having all the M30 paperweights you want, why don't you NOS some beater 535? If you blow it up, big fing deal!

Unregistered
03-28-2004, 11:20 PM
I know it is in Australia, but a full bolt on kit with projected power increases etc is available through the following link:

http://www.capa.com.au/kits_bmw.htm

Cheers from Oz

David Bushby
95 Motorsport 540i/6
Limited Edition #19 of 70

MO525
03-28-2004, 11:42 PM

We've all hear this before: "Follow the manufacturers instructions/recommendations.....".
Do what they say and your engine will lead a LONG life breathing giggle-gas.

It's when people start cutting corners and re-engineering things that BAD things happen to GOOD engines. :(

Robbo
03-29-2004, 05:35 AM
Ah yes, I had one of those.

The main thing to consider is, how old is your car, how many miles has it done and "do ya feel lucky punk"? ;)

The thing is I managed to (in the space of 18 months) blow the head gasket, f*uk the guibo, and trash a gearbox, plus other sundry bits and pieces (I can't remember it all) which came to about £4500 in repairs + Jetex exhaust and HKS ram kit etc. This was on a 1990 535Se with 130000 miles when I got it.

I paid £2500 for it so it stood me £7k. I got no interest at all when I tried to sell it and finally part exed it, getting £1500 against a Rover (Best deal I could find!). So I've lost £5500. :(

So, how about it, do ya feel lucky? ;)

£ 70 MAP sensor
£ 180 Uprated injectors
£ 200 Remap ECU

£ 3348 Inc vat

Shrick cam
No kat

Thank's for your time,

Andrew

535ise
03-29-2004, 07:17 AM
Ah yes, I had one of those.

The main thing to consider is, how old is your car, how many miles has it done and "do ya feel lucky punk"? ;)

The thing is I managed to (in the space of 18 months) blow the head gasket, f*uk the guibo, and trash a gearbox, plus other sundry bits and pieces (I can't remember it all) which came to about £4500 in repairs + Jetex exhaust and HKS ram kit etc. This was on a 1990 535Se with 130000 miles when I got it.

I paid £2500 for it so it stood me £7k. I got no interest at all when I tried to sell it and finally part exed it, getting £1500 against a Rover (Best deal I could find!). So I've lost £5500. :(

So, how about it, do ya feel lucky? ;)

Thank's for all the feed back ! :)

Robbo,do you know how much boost it was running,how much bhp was it producing and was it inter cooled or charge cooled ?

I thought about the gear box not being upto the job and was wondering if the 5sp M5 gear box whould fit and be able to take more power than the standard 5sp ?

Thank's again,

Andrew

Robbo
03-29-2004, 10:00 AM
It was on 1/2 bar (7psi?) had no intercooling and dinoed @ 302bhp (crank) before I fitted the Jetex and HKS. Dunno if the M5 box will fit.

Did you see the news footage of the scram jet flight? My car looked just like that when the head gasket blew.............

Thank's for all the feed back ! :)

Robbo,do you know how much boost it was running,how much bhp was it producing and was it inter cooled or charge cooled ?

I thought about the gear box not being upto the job and was wondering if the 5sp M5 gear box whould fit and be able to take more power than the standard 5sp ?

Thank's again,

Andrew

Jeff N.
03-29-2004, 02:00 PM
I'd look at the kit that's being developed by www.turbochargingdynamics.com as an alternative to building your own. No, not a supercharger but seems like they are doing a lot of the sorting work that you would have to do if you assembled your own kit.

If you want to build your own, the real expert is Pat P in Florida. I think Bruno knows how to reach him. He's done some pretty radical builds (multiple interations) and likely can tell you exactly how stuff holds up (or doesn't).

Keep us updated on your progress!

Jeff

535ise
03-29-2004, 02:56 PM
I'd look at the kit that's being developed by www.turbochargingdynamics.com as an alternative to building your own. No, not a supercharger but seems like they are doing a lot of the sorting work that you would have to do if you assembled your own kit.

If you want to build your own, the real expert is Pat P in Florida. I think Bruno knows how to reach him. He's done some pretty radical builds (multiple interations) and likely can tell you exactly how stuff holds up (or doesn't).

Keep us updated on your progress!

Jeff

Thank's for the info Jeff ;)

There kit look's good and i sent Todd an Email but unfortunatly the turbo sit's in the wronge place for RHD car's :( Hence i'm strarting to look at super charger's.

Here's a copy of the reply i got back,as you'll see the power from there kit's is massive !

----- Original Message -----
To: andrew law
Sent: Tuesday, March 23, 2004 8:48 PM
Subject: Re: M30 i/c turbo kit

Hey Andrew,

Sadly I doubt our kit will work on a RHD car but I'll answer your questions anyway.

It's already has some modification's done to it,Ported/flowed head,schrick cam and a custom 3D mapperble ECU that uses a TB potentiometer(sp?) instead of an AFM.Oil catch tank for crank case fumes. It is running 250 bhp(apx @ crank).

As you can see there might be a few thing's that are differant or might need changing from your normal kit due to my modification's.

When in the rev range does the turbo start to produce it's power ?

Depends on the gear but figure 2000rpm

How much peak torque and power could i exepect to get ?

350rwhp / 425rwtq

Is there much power differance between inter cooled and non-inter cooled.

Only the intercooler and output

On my ECU it's got an air temp' dependant switched out put that can turn the i/c pump on and off,so it mght be handy ?

We use a continuous duty pump. Runs all the time.

I noticed from your picture that some of the piping is of a smaller diameter than the tb,is this some thing to do with keeping the gas flow speed's higher than they whould be with bigger pipes ? Is this to help the turbo spool up quicker and/or to reduce turbo lag ?

Yep, charge air velocity is very important.

Is it advisable to lower the compression on my car with a thicker head gasket from BMP motorsport ?

Nope!

Sorry for the list of question's but i don't know a lot about turbo charged car's and i wanted to list some details of my car so that i don't cause any problems if/when i get your turbo kit installed.

Thank's

Andrew

Thanks for your interest,
Todd

Craig
03-29-2004, 03:16 PM
Todd is a good guy, he hangs out on the turbo.mye28.com forums quite a bit. You might head over there and check things out. While it's mostly turbos and US cars, there is a lot of M30 forced induction knowledge on there.

535ise
03-29-2004, 03:21 PM
Cheer's Craig ;) I'll try that site later

Cacatfish
03-29-2004, 03:47 PM
I'll second that! Go with Todd (TCD)! No other way to go about it!

535ise
03-29-2004, 03:51 PM
I'll second that! Go with Todd (TCD)! No other way to go about it!

I whould mate but they don't fit right hand drive car's :(

Unregistered
03-29-2004, 04:01 PM
Try ESS performance.

535ise
03-29-2004, 04:03 PM
Try ESS performance.
Have you got a link dude ?

Are they US based ?

Bruno
03-29-2004, 04:40 PM
Pat is actually making an affordable kit. I started to work on a supercharger kit also, but I am not even going to ask if there is any interest.