PDA

View Full Version : Windshield Replacemant E34 - NJ

Jimmy535i
03-28-2004, 06:47 PM
Well I ended up cracking the windshield on my 1990 535i today
while changing wiper blades. Wow now do I feel like a moron.

Any idea where I can get a new one installed
without getting any broker than I already am.

I am in Northern NJ. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Tiger
03-28-2004, 06:49 PM
People says Safelite... and they come to your door.

Unregistered
03-28-2004, 06:53 PM
I have one, it's been on for 6 months and is still scratch free. See if you can do a broken glass claim through your insurance companies, most places have a 100.00 deductible for that stuff.

Make *sure* they order the clips. If the guy is skilled he can remove the trim w/o trashing the stuff, otherwise call BMA and order some before he replaces it. The clips might be a dealer item, when I got my windshield done they had to go to the stealer to get a set. (clips aren't too $$, the "trim" is about $75.00/side)

Jimmy535i
03-28-2004, 07:42 PM
Thanks for the lead. I will call them.

Jimmy535i
03-28-2004, 07:46 PM
Thanks also. I will call Eves at BMa and order the clips.
It looks like the trim along the passenger side is crackeda little also.

I don't have comprehensive insurance so I can't put it through them.

Unregistered
03-28-2004, 08:13 PM
Tell them you picked up a rock on the interstate. This is a safety item - check with your agent to see if you have a glass replacement deductible.

Unregistered
03-28-2004, 08:46 PM
Don't feel stupid. I did exactly the same thing on my '94 525. Picked up the arms, removed the blades, and walked away from the car, and *THWACK* down came the arm cracking the windshield.

I got a few very good recommendations from Absolutely Auto Glass. They are in Glen Rock, I think. They gave me a price of $185 for the job, done in my driveway.

I haven't done it yet, since the crack was on the passenger side, but inspection is coming up, so I better get this done.

Jimmy535i
03-29-2004, 09:25 AM
That is exactly what happened to me. "Thwack"
I got a price of $185 for glass also. They said I need to
replace all moldings.

Unregistered
04-01-2004, 08:47 PM
That is exactly what happened to me. "Thwack"
I got a price of $185 for glass also. They said I need to
replace all moldings.

Who gave you that quote, and what kind of glass is that for?

I think they told me the same thing about the moldings...

Jimmy535i
06-02-2004, 01:44 PM
Had my windshield replaced by Chris at Absolute Auto Glass in
Hawthorne NJ. They are located at 43 Goffle Road.
Chris completed the installation in about an hour at his shop.
Good price. Including tax $222.60. FYI, you need approximately 17 plastic clips which they had on hand. Used existing molding. Very professional job,
No hassles, Nice folks to deal with. Even waited for me after work to do it.
Highly recommend. 973-423-9110

Tiger
06-02-2004, 02:41 PM
Mine is MB.. no clips... I just had it done... saw the whole process. The cheapest place I could fine... by $65 difference for my car... either $257 or $322... My friend's shop can only get me $267...

But I got lifetime warranty from Safelite included in the price. This guy has been doing this for 20 years. At least I got lucky with this guy... everything was super smooth.

Warren N.CA
06-02-2004, 03:50 PM
ME, and my shop says it's happened there , too. Lok at it this way- Your windshield was probably worn out, anyway. Getting a new one is a true "high."

I paid over $600 for a new OEM installed by my indy's subcontractor. If I had it to do over, would get a PPG windshield installed by a REPUTABLE glass house (not of the mobile ilk)..

My E30 OEM quote from my indy was $375, and I got a PPG from a good local installer for $210. Seems just as good as the OEM.

Russell
06-03-2004, 05:30 AM
Long story short. They replaced the windshield (after several weeks of involving higher management) with a BMW windshield by a reputable shop the local dealer uses. Cost was about $600.

Many sources said do not use Safelight and a driveway install especially in winter. Safelight glass is reputed to be thin, brittle and optically distorted.

As the windshield is "glued" in position, cold weather affects cure time even with accelerators in the glue. My car was repaired in winter and they let the car warm up to room temperature, fixed the windshield and let the glue set up for 4 hours indoors before moving the car.

Also, the non BMW wipers (Bosch or Anco) did not work well. They actually broke. I ended up ordering new wipers and extra inserts from BMA.

Just my experience.

Tiger
06-03-2004, 10:28 AM
It is true that any windshield should not be installed below 60 degree outside. I searched internet for any info on Safelite inferior quality and can't find any conclusive info at all.

Bosch Wiper bad too? Hello? BMW wipers are also Bosch.

ryan roopnarine
06-03-2004, 10:35 AM
....bosch is the only wiper that I can get to fit on the driver side of my car without having to fabricate or twiddle with something...anco fits the passenger side, but it doesn't contact 100% of the screen (its too stiff, and it runs tangentially within 2 inches of the right end of the blade. the bosch are good and cheap and (available everywhere) too...advance has them for about $10 per side, including arm.

It is true that any windshield should not be installed below 60 degree outside. I searched internet for any info on Safelite inferior quality and can't find any conclusive info at all.

bahnstormer
06-03-2004, 02:28 PM
best wiper ever = piaa super silicone wipers $20 for one, but its well worth it.
as far as windshield goes safetyblah quoted me around 160 but this is of course not oem glass. def will be thinner and perhaps lighter, but perhaps not as quiet. its a very
tricky area.

oh and pay more attention when u work on your car ehheh =] saves u money in the long run! =]

TimGinCentralNJ
06-03-2004, 02:38 PM
...I bought a set after reading all the hubbub about them, and the damn things wouldn't lay flat on my windshield; when in use, they weren't flexible enough to maintain contact with the glass, causing large areas of streaking. When not in use, the passenger side right-most edge sat 2" above the surface of the glass. Actually thought about getting a longer right-side wiper blade and using it to hook pedestrians on the sidewalk! :)

Went back to OEM after that. YMMV.

Tim G.
'91 535iM

best wiper ever = piaa super silicone wipers $20 for one, but its well worth it.
as far as windshield goes safetyblah quoted me around 160 but this is of course not oem glass. def will be thinner and perhaps lighter, but perhaps not as quiet. its a very
tricky area.

oh and pay more attention when u work on your car ehheh =] saves u money in the long run! =]

Russell
06-03-2004, 04:39 PM
My wiper blade broke where the blade connects to the arm. Also, I think they were Ansco, not Bosch.

Tiger
06-03-2004, 06:08 PM
I got Bosch Excel on both side of my wiper arm... no problem.