PDA

View Full Version : Can a big hole cause these problems?

Rob
05-29-2006, 01:25 AM
Hi guys,

Just wondering, can a big fat, nasty hole in the first part of the exashust cause problems? I have a big hole in my silencer, the car sounds like a V12 at the moment. If I have my windows down and foot to the floor. It's loud, so loud that I can't hear my passenger talking to me. But it sounds cool. But I need to get it fixed as soon as.

However, having such a big hole in the pipe is causing problems as far as I know. Well fuel economy willbe up I know. Maybe burning some veluves. However I also think it's the cause of my cold start issues and stalling a lot of the time. The car will stall if I stop at a stop light and try pull off fast. Sometimes she will start then I need to give the revs up a little to keep her on. otherwise it will stall. If I stop at a light I keep her in N and foot on the brake and gas at the same time to keep revs up others wise she dies on me and is hard to start again.

She doesn't always die on me. it's only when she feels like it. Also I notice acceleration is quite slow. Might have something to do with it. Not sure.

Any input on this please? Can it be the hole causing this or is it something else?

Idle some some surges in the cold morning between 100 - 200 rpm. :(

Rob
05-29-2006, 01:27 AM
Forgot to say that if I stop at a light or stop street and take the foot off the gas and keep it on the brake she will idle perfect. It's only when pulling off I get this. While going above 20 she is just fine.

Paul in NZ
05-29-2006, 02:05 AM
Forgot to say that if I stop at a light or stop street and take the foot off the gas and keep it on the brake she will idle perfect

This suggests to me it is a vacumn problem,possibly directly related to the brake vacumn system

Rob
05-29-2006, 02:56 AM
Well what I meant is that I need to have bake on to stop car rolling farward. She will also idle fine is Park with brake off.

joshua43214
05-29-2006, 05:22 AM
In theory, a hole in the forward exhaust will have little effect on performance. In practice, I have noticed that depending on the location of the hole, it can have a noticable effect on economy and performance, but not a huge one.

A hole in the exhaust will never cause a no start.

which engine do you have? I think '90 is the crossover year from m20 to m50. Clean the throttle and ICV, if you have ASC, make sure the secondary throttle is operating properly.

Rob
05-29-2006, 05:33 AM
M20 Engine.

Okay so a hole can never cause no start at times and stalling?

Is there is any leaks, how do I go about finding them? and tips to clean the ICV and where's the throttle?

Many thanks!

joshua43214
05-29-2006, 05:48 AM
Use a rag and sensor safe throttle cleaner on the throttle, you can try an old tooth brush, but be careful it might melt a bit. Remove the ICV and hose it out with throttle cleaner, try to keep the electrical part higher so you dont get gunk in the motor part. Also, I forgot to mention, check it over carefuly for leaks between the AFM and the throttle body, if the boot is cracked or the clamp is loose, it will cause all sorts of problems.

I check for vaccum leaks with carb cleaner, just start the engine and spray it along anything that can allow unmetered air to enter, don't forget to spray it arround the injectors incase their seals are leaky. Not all carb cleaners will affect idle alot, pop a hose off somewhere and give it a shot to see how the engine reacts so you know what to look for. You can use propane from a torch too if your too lazy to find the carb cleaner. Blow the engine compartment out frequently with compressed air to remove any pools of carb cleaner, or work the engine bay in 1/4's and allow it to breath off.

Small vaccum leaks will not cause a no start, but can cause stalling and rough idle, If you still have troubles after you fix any leaks, look into the AFM. Do a stomp test, you might have a code. clear it after you fix any vacuum leaks, and see if it comes back.

Rob
05-29-2006, 07:11 AM
Stomp test gave a code 1215. Air sensor. I will try some cleaning stuff on it and on the ICV and the throttle control stuff. She does start. Just in the mornings it's hard to start, but she will start and run. With a rough idle. Then if she is got a hot engine, it will start first time.

Also the starter motor is sounding like the bettery if flat. But I get the car started all the time and it starts. So no idea what's with that. I know my lights are dim when I am cranking the car to start it....sigh....will try get it fixed soon.

Thank you, Josh.