PDA

View Full Version : I had some fun today... Yes, that's a supercar.

CharlesAFerg
05-28-2006, 11:45 PM
Hey, it's my E34 back there!

Let me tell you, that sucker is fast.:D

http://myspace-523.vo.llnwd.net/00777/32/54/777654523_l.jpg

Nick.Hay
05-29-2006, 04:48 AM
I'll have one super-fast Italian leather lounge suite please...

onewhippedpuppy
05-29-2006, 04:58 AM
I'd like a video of the drag race please.;)

Jay 535i
05-29-2006, 07:50 AM
I love that Maser. Gimme it over an M5 any day.

What were your impressions of the paddle shift 'box? That's the only part of the QP I find unappealing.

Rustam
05-29-2006, 09:26 AM
Hey, it's my E34 back there!

Let me tell you, that sucker is fast.:D

http://myspace-523.vo.llnwd.net/00777/32/54/777654523_l.jpg

This is no more a supercar than a 540...

kyleN20
05-29-2006, 09:55 AM
over a M5, you must be crazy. furthermore, thats no supercar, the MC12 is a supercar.

Jehu
05-29-2006, 10:08 AM
This is no more a supercar than a 540...

Heeyyyy...........

Jay 535i
05-29-2006, 10:15 AM
over a M5, you must be crazy.

Nope.

Rustam
05-29-2006, 10:19 AM
Nope.

1-In what way do you find this better than M5?
2-Over which m5 would you take this car?

Jay 535i
05-29-2006, 10:26 AM
1-In what way do you find this better than M5?
2-Over which m5 would you take this car?

I'll answer your second question first:

Any M5, including the new one.

Now your first question:

Empirically, it is not better than the M5. But it comes very close. Add to that the extra character, exclusivity, beauty and ambiance that comes with a Maserati and you have what is an overall more attractive package, despite perhaps being slower around the Nurburgring.

It will be perhaps 1% of the time that you notice the M5's added performance over the QP. The other 99% of the time you'll appreciate that the Maser is much prettier and is in another league in terms of luxury and character. It's Italian! Isn't that enough?

That the M5 is an engineering tour de force is indisputable. But it has no soul, no personality, and it looks just like the other 200 new BMWs you see every day. It is amazing, no doubt, and I wouldn't cry if you gave me one. But if you set aside the performance figures for a moment there can be no doubt that the Maser is in another league.

This is my humble opinion. Admittedly, it is a very subjective thing. As good as the M5 is, I don't see how it could come close to providing as satisfying an ownership experience as the QP.

Rustam
05-29-2006, 10:28 AM
I'll answer your second question first:

Any M5, including the new one.

Now your first question:

Empirically, it is not better than the M5. But it comes very close. Add to that the extra character, exclusivity, beauty and ambiance that comes with a Maserati and you have what is an overall more attractive package, despite perhaps being slower around the Nurburgring.

It will be perhaps 1% of the time that you notice the M5's added performance over the QP. The other 99% of the time you'll appreciate that the Maser is much prettier and is in another league in terms of luxury and character. It's Italian! Isn't that enough.

This is my humble opinion. Admittedly, it is a very subjective thing. As good as the M5 is, I don't see how it could come close to providing as satisfying an ownership experience as the QP.

Have you ever driven QP?

Jay 535i
05-29-2006, 10:31 AM
Have you ever driven QP?

No. Nor have I driven an M5. So in that respect you could say I'm unbiased.

My opinion is based mostly on what I read and see in magazines.

I'll gladly defer to anyone who has driven both cars. I realize that, having experienced neither, my ability to make an informed judgement is limited. I do the best I can with the information I have. A test drive could conceiveably change my mind.

In general, though, I think people overstate the importance of performance and understate the importance of other, less tangible factors. Factors like:

- if you were stuck in a traffic jam, in which car would you rather sit?
- which car would you rather wash on a Sunday?
- which car makes you feel better when driving at legal speeds?
- which car sends a message most in keeping with your personality?
- which car is the finer work of art?

For me, the answer to all of the above is: the Maserati.

Rustam
05-29-2006, 10:34 AM
No. Nor have I driven an M5. So in that respect you could say I'm unbiased.

My opinion is based mostly on what I read and see in magazines.

I'll gladly defer to anyone who has driven both cars. I realize that, having experienced neither, my ability to make an informed judgement is limited. I do the best with the information I have. A test drive could conceiveably change my mind.

Understood...

CharlesAFerg
05-29-2006, 10:55 AM
I've driven an E39 ///M5 before, but these were significantly different. Although Oh, and the Maserati was in it's regular mode, not in the "sport" mode. The shifts were looooong and smooth, it was a really wierd feeling, but really comfortable.

Rustam
05-29-2006, 11:09 AM
I've driven an E39 ///M5 before, but these were significantly different. Although Oh, and the Maserati was in it's regular mode, not in the "sport" mode. The shifts were looooong and smooth, it was a really wierd feeling, but really comfortable.

How are the cars different?
Can you elaborate a little bit?

CharlesAFerg
05-29-2006, 11:11 AM
How are the cars different?
Can you elaborate a little bit?

Well I can't really compare because like I said, I wasn't in sport mode in the Mas.

The ///M5 is probably much faster, and has better handling. The Mas was a Supercharged 400HP 8cylinder, and it's probably heavier.

Jay 535i
05-29-2006, 11:22 AM
Well I can't really compare because like I said, I wasn't in sport mode in the Mas.

The ///M5 is probably much faster, and has better handling. The Mas was a Supercharged 400HP 8cylinder, and it's probably heavier.

Not supercharged, no. It's a normally aspirated V8 -- a development of the V8 that was available in the Ferrari 355/360.

rob101
05-29-2006, 02:01 PM
Not supercharged, no. It's a normally aspirated V8 -- a development of the V8 that was available in the Ferrari 355/360.
thats probably why its on the road and not in a workshop getting fixed! Yeah much rather have an M5 over a maserati especially the old ones but your mechanic would much rather you have a maserati as you'd make him rich.