PDA

View Full Version : Massive brake fluid leak, HELP!

CrimsonBrian
05-28-2006, 04:31 PM
Hey everyone,
I just drove my car today for the first time in a little while (two weeks or so) and it was making a funny noise when I would turn the wheel. I thought it needed a little power steering fluid so I decided to add it when I got back from my short errand. I parked it at home and left it for about an hour to cool off and when I came back all my brake fluid had leaked out (red fluid). I checked the resevior and it was totally dry. I searched the boards and saw people talking about these grommets but everyone else complained of a slow leak, not a total loss. My braking seemed fine while I was driving, so I dont think its the cylinders (but what do I know?) I am getting married in six days and need to have my car available so that I can shuttle cantankerous relatives around. Am I screwed?

Brian

winfred
05-28-2006, 04:55 PM
34 31 1 160 133 part # for the grommets, the brake fluid is honey in color, red would be power steering which uses automatic tranny fluid

CrimsonBrian
05-28-2006, 04:59 PM
34 31 1 160 133 part # for the grommets, the brake fluid is honey in color, red would be power steering which uses automatic tranny fluid

OK, so I guess it is a power steering fluid leak. Did my problem just get better or worse?

winfred
05-28-2006, 06:01 PM
worse, you went from $8 worth of parts to potentially couple hundred, you need to find the leak which if it isn't gushing you may need to degrease it to find what is leaking, probably one of the rubber hoses, theres one high pressure line and a few return low pressure lines, if you are in a good sized city theres probably a place or two that services heavy equipment that can rebuild rubber hydraulic lines with fresh rubber for a fraction of the cost of a new bmw part, they don't always like doing car work so tell them it's for a forklift or boat or something, usually takes a half hour and $20-40

OK, so I guess it is a power steering fluid leak. Did my problem just get better or worse?

CrimsonBrian
05-28-2006, 06:13 PM
Ack, OK, now I have a huge confession to make. The last time this thing was a little low, I put in what I thought was power steering fluid but what turns out was actually brake fluid. I can't have put more than about 2 oz in but now I realize my colossal mistake. Insert idiot joke here... I'll take this to my indy on Tues (after filling the resevior with power steering fluid). Could I have done some horrific damage to my baby here?

Kalevera
05-28-2006, 06:22 PM
Dot 4 and lesser brake fluids are hygroscopic and highly corrosive. Worst case scenario is that the car needs a new power steering system (I've posted a thread on this in the past -- related to a '92 525), best case is that the system can be flushed with ATF and the leaking component(s) replaced. Be sure to use the correct spec fluid -- generic power steering fluid isn't ATF.

One thing you can do right now is use a spray bottle (filled with soapy water, or just water if it makes you feel more comfortable) to wash down any signs of the leak on the underside of the car, neutralizing whatever brake fluid has splashed out of the circuit.

Good luck!

best, whit

BillionPa
05-28-2006, 06:32 PM
also, if your car used CHF11s power steering fluid and you put regular power steering fluid in it, really bad things could also happen, but the brake fluid would kill the hoses.

CrimsonBrian
05-28-2006, 06:47 PM
OK, great, I'm going to go give the underbody a wash right now and will just keep my fingers crossed that I didn't just totally screw myself. Thanks and I'll let you all know what happens.

Brian

joshua43214
05-28-2006, 07:11 PM
Don't feel to bad, the hoses on those fail all the time at high miles, so they would need replaced anyway at some point. Do make sure you find out what type of fluid to use, there should be a sticker on the resavoir, or your owners manual will say. It definatley is not PS fluid, its either ATF or CHF11S.

Just pull the hose off the bottom of the resavoir and drain it into a pan, then refill it. This will get you by until you have a chance to deal with it. Most likely it will not just quit with no warning. I would get it fixed as soon as possible either way.