PDA

View Full Version : Pressure bleeder

jbourke
05-28-2006, 07:13 AM
While constructing my own version of a pressure bleeder I started wondering how to actually use it ... You guys will know:D
The pressure bottle has a one-way valve (Dutch viewers will recognize it immediately) through which the bottle is pressurized by a handpump with manometer. The hose connection has some solid tubing extending to the near bottom. The other end of the hose connects to a spare brakefluid reservoir cap (BTW almost all European Opel/GM caps will do, a lot cheaper and easier to find). What is bothering me is what will happen with the air that will be in the system at the start? Do you fill up the hose connection with brake fluid first (ie pressurize the bottle a bit) before you screw the cap on? Any suggestions as to properly use this thing are highly appreciated ... after all it's the breaks:p

632 Regal
05-28-2006, 08:38 AM
http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/maintenance/brakes/bleeding.htm

joshua43214
05-28-2006, 09:06 AM
There will not be much air in the hoses from the bleeder to the cap if you keep them short enough. If the resavoir is over 1/2 full, you probably won't add enough air to it to cause any to enter the sealed side of things. If you have long hoses, then purge some of the air before you screw the bleeder cap on tight.

If you are nervouse about it, purge the bleeder on the bench, and put a clamp on the end of the hose near the cap.

make sure you use lots of rags under the hoses, brake fluid eats paint and has a very bad habit of traveling back down hoses. Don't leave the rags on for long, since any fluid will soak thruugh makig things worse, and then treat the rags as though they had brake fluid on them even if they dont. I always run pressure bleeder hoses up over the front bumper, I don't even like fender covers touching the paint if I can help it on cars.