PDA

View Full Version : Door locks wont stay locked

Bimmer93
05-27-2006, 04:28 PM
93 525I with automatic door locks. I just started going through this problem when I use my key to lock all doors then they unlock shortly afterwards hope someone has some insight on this plus I checked all doors and reclosed them including trunk but ho help. THANK YOU

Adnan
05-27-2006, 04:54 PM
Hi,

If the trunk lock doesn't lock, the rest will pop open. The most common reason is that the wires to the lock break in the region of the hinge. Look at the left hinge bar; the wires are held in place by a plastic cover and then they emerge in a region that flexes. That's where they typically fail.

Look closely as it is difficult to tell. Grab each wire and tug to make sure it's okay.

Regards,
Adnan

Montreal525
05-27-2006, 04:56 PM
I had the same problem and it was the trunk lock. I played around with it, locking and unlocking it, kind of reseting it, shot a bit of WD-40 into it and all was well...

Jeff

nosdbmr
06-04-2006, 06:39 PM
Same issues check your door strike, it is what the door catches on when closed. If it is your drivers door it will say door open on the dash when your driving but the other doors will not respond like this.

genphreak
06-04-2006, 08:26 PM
Same issues check your door strike, it is what the door catches on when closed. If it is your drivers door it will say door open on the dash when your driving but the other doors will not respond like this.This idea is a first for me, but have never had a striker problem. Are you implying to check that the driver's door catch is not actually fully engaging?

All my doors close dead on and sound/looks to be locked just fine, and are fully engaging on the door-strikes. I've had the problem with immediate unlocking for some time, noticing it is worse in hot weather. Fixed the boot lid wiring in the past but have not yet gone through the trunk lock to do much testing, ie make sure a wire is not internally damaged or the internals are not in need of a cleanup.

Short of this I thought from previous research that it would be microswitches in the drivers door lock, but it happens when unlocking the passenger side as well, so I guess it is most likely the bootlid.

Am going to get onto the bootlid lock first now though... Cheers, :) Nick

joshua43214
06-05-2006, 05:00 AM
If any of the 3 locks that can command all 5 locks to close do not travel all the way, the central locking will interpret it as a command to unlock.

try locking each door and the trunk, if the popup problem does not happen when one of them is locked, then that door is where the problem lies. If you watch the door buttons, often you can see one of them try to lock and spot it that way. Adding a tiny bit of extra pressure to the button to help it will show if it is the problem.

Insufficient travel can be caused by a sticky lock mechanism, or a weak actuator.

All this assumes of course that the trunk lid harness is ok.

Bimmer93
06-05-2006, 04:33 PM
This idea is a first for me, but have never had a striker problem. Are you implying to check that the driver's door catch is not actually fully engaging?

All my doors close dead on and sound/looks to be locked just fine, and are fully engaging on the door-strikes. I've had the problem with immediate unlocking for some time, noticing it is worse in hot weather. Fixed the boot lid wiring in the past but have not yet gone through the trunk lock to do much testing, ie make sure a wire is not internally damaged or the internals are not in need of a cleanup.

Short of this I thought from previous research that it would be microswitches in the drivers door lock, but it happens when unlocking the passenger side as well, so I guess it is most likely the bootlid.

Am going to get onto the bootlid lock first now though... Cheers, :) Nick Well the problem was the striker in the rear driver side door. real wierd so just an FYI!!

palindromica
06-05-2006, 04:52 PM
I've been having a similar problem with my trunk lock. If my trunk is unlocked, one attempt to lock the doors from either the driver or passsenger side results in their immediate unlocking, yet a second attempt (with the time between the two attempts not a factor), the doors remain locked. Is this the same problem? And if so, how exactly are you proposing the problem be fixed?

sKilled
06-05-2006, 07:52 PM
I've been having a similar problem with my trunk lock. If my trunk is unlocked, one attempt to lock the doors from either the driver or passsenger side results in their immediate unlocking, yet a second attempt (with the time between the two attempts not a factor), the doors remain locked. Is this the same problem? And if so, how exactly are you proposing the problem be fixed?

Yeah it is the same thing - I had that. Check the cable tree in the boot (trunk) to see if all the cables are ok. I had a few broken cables, even caused a short that blew one of the boot lights and the licence plate light. Also check the boot lock to see if it is still connected as I had one of the little rods for the central locking motor pop out of the lock. If that doesn't help - check under the rear seat to see if you may have blown a fuse. If all else fails, search the forum as this topic comes up quite often and there is a myriad of possibilities/fixes.

nosdbmr
06-06-2006, 04:39 AM
This idea is a first for me, but have never had a striker problem. Are you implying to check that the driver's door catch is not actually fully engaging?

Am going to get onto the bootlid lock first now though... Cheers, :) Nick

What I indicated was to check the door strike I was not saying that your door was not closing. If you look at your door strike(s) there is a little switch built into these things that the catch pushes on when the door is closed this then breaks the circuit so it knows your door is closed.

nosdbmr
06-06-2006, 04:42 AM
Well the problem was the striker in the rear driver side door. real wierd so just an FYI!!

Glad this worked for you I had the same issue before. So an easy way to fix this if you are waiting for the part is to unplug it from the back of the strike this will make it think the door is closed which will then allow you to lock the doors without them popping back up. On another note make sure you do not strip the hex bolts when removing this thing ans also don't let the wire drop down in.