PDA

View Full Version : Oil Level Plug

t_marat
05-27-2006, 08:54 AM
Some time ago I overfilled the engine with oil. I always kept wondering how the hell I managed to do that?

Today I checked the oil level in the morning and hell, it was lower than minimum! Last time I checked it about 10 days ago and it was at max! Couldn't believe my eyes! Remembering my past experience with overfilling and just to be sure, cleaned the dipstick again, put in and took out. The same. Stood there shaking my head with the dipstick in my hand. Cleaned the dipstick again, put it in and took it out, noticed that oil level notched a little higher!!! Immediately thought maybe oil was not able to flow down due to air not being able to escape anywhere? Kept the dipstick out and waited a little. Checked again, level was close to the middle! waited for a while again, level went to the max.

So is something wrong with the engine or what? or is it supposed to be like that? Clearly oil is not flowing down due to the air trapped in the engine.

joshua43214
05-27-2006, 09:22 PM
Check the oil at normal operating temperature after it has sat for 10 minutes. It takes a while for all the oil to flow down from the head. I dunno why, but I have also noticed with many cars, after you wipe the stick, you have to put the stick back in and let it sit for a heart beat before removing it, or it shows low level.

632 Regal
05-28-2006, 01:21 AM
the oil returns could be clogged with crap causing that problem, mine dont vary much from the time I shut it off til 10 minutes after.