PDA

View Full Version : Lowest E34

TwoWheelJay
05-26-2006, 07:04 PM
Searched but it seems that the lowest kit for the e34 is only about 1 and 3/4 inches. Are there any kits that offer a REALLY low ride. I saw that the ground control "may go up to 4" but has anyone gone that far? I like LOW, but i dont want to destroy my cars balljoints and such (just had joints and control arms done)

sKilled
05-26-2006, 07:08 PM
There are other concerns however - your car may require a cambe readjustment, the ride will be crap becuase it's a heavy car, you might have trouble with the tires rubbing, and most importantly, it would look like crap.

Spasso
05-26-2006, 07:45 PM
Going with air suspension is the only way you are going to be able to go as low as you want and still be able to negotiate transitions, driveways and manhole covers.

It will only be good for posing, it will ride like crap and handle worse. Alignment and camber would be nonexistant.

Basically you'd be trashing your tires and fenderwells not to mention the suspension bushings by making them travel past their design limits.

This is "tasteful"

sKilled
05-27-2006, 12:28 AM
Tasteful, yes, whilst remaining functional.
In your position, it would be best to consider all options (their upsides and downsides, short and long term costs).
By the way, you never mentined why you wish to slam it to the ground, as a show car or will you still be driving it daily?

ThoreauHD
05-27-2006, 01:16 AM
Wish they had that Bose suspension for the aftermarket. That's the kinda ride I'm looking for.

Incantation
05-27-2006, 02:20 AM
there's some german website that offers a coilover kit.. slams the car nicely..

unfortunately i can't remember the url but i will try to find it

Nick.Hay
05-27-2006, 02:28 AM
Mine is 30mm lower, and I'd be hesitant to go any lower than that and expect to use it as a functional car. Mine hits bumpstops on frequent occasions, and although I;d love to go another inch down.... Not a chance!!

I would'nt go lower than 30mm...

Lee in Ottawa
05-27-2006, 01:34 PM
mine one of the lowest that i know of not on bags. Its on ground controls, could go lower if i wanted.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b10/Leebmwe34/IMG_0760.jpg

wjbell
05-27-2006, 01:43 PM
Edit: this is a reply to Spasso

That is one sweet looking touring.

What are the details: what spring kit, rim size? I'm assuming those are 17" OEM style 5's? Are they hubsentric to the e34 or do you have rings? What about the ride quality?

The reason I'm asking is I'd like to change rims and drop mine a little. I want somthing that drops it anywhere within an inch or two while keeping as much ride quality as possible. Anyone have any spring kit suggestions? If possible I'd like to keep the stock struts also.

Paul in NZ
05-27-2006, 03:26 PM
be like one of the young guys in our club...he dropped his and new he has a hole in the oil pan.He was trying to be careful and doesnt tecall any hits....thats why mine will sty std mtech height,I would like a little drop in the front but as a daily driver......
http://www.bimmer.info/bmw/kiwi535/manfeildjun05.jpg

onewhippedpuppy
05-27-2006, 06:32 PM
Paul, do you have the 9mm front upper spring pads? I replaced the 9mm with the M5 3mm pads in the front of my 540/6, gave it an extra 1/2 or so in front. Just enough to make the wheel gaps look pretty even front to back, no difference in ride.

ericcamaro
05-28-2006, 10:45 AM
noones got a bagged e34?? thats hard to beilieve.

TwoWheelJay
05-29-2006, 05:24 AM
Lee in Ottowa, i really like the stance of your car! Where did you get your suspension from, because that is more like the ride im looking for. As far as the others who asked, i dont really watn to slam my car per se, just give it a noticibly lower stance. Some of the regular lowering kits bring the car to what it should have been from the factory, and it looks good, i just want something that says "lowered" a little bit more.

TwoWheelJay
05-29-2006, 05:24 AM
oh, btw mines a black 525 w/ 18" wheels, 225 series tires so im not super worried about rubbing,

Spasso
05-29-2006, 09:18 AM
Edit: this is a reply to Spasso

That is one sweet looking touring.

What are the details: what spring kit, rim size? I'm assuming those are 17" OEM style 5's? Are they hubsentric to the e34 or do you have rings? What about the ride quality?

The reason I'm asking is I'd like to change rims and drop mine a little. I want somthing that drops it anywhere within an inch or two while keeping as much ride quality as possible. Anyone have any spring kit suggestions? If possible I'd like to keep the stock struts also.

I can't tell the set-up of the Touring in the pictures. It isn't mine.
I was just using pictures of it to illustrate the point that ideally, tucking just the upper 1/2" of a tire under the fender lip is all you need to get a good stance.

I'm guessing those are repro-type wheels and I think most repro's require hubcentric rings so they can be used on E39's without machining and the addition of the rings being a simple cure for the rest..

The repro's on my silver sedan are machined for E39 so I had to use rings on those.

Further illustration of minimal work for nice results are pictures of my silver sedan with Eibach springs installed, 8x17 reproduction (immitation) wheels all the way around so I can rotate the tires for wear. I was told the springs would only drop the car 1.4" in the front and 1" in the rear. After driving for a month they "settled" to a little more than what they show in the pictures. The tops of the tires are exactly even with the fender lip on the front now, the rears are up under the lip by about 3/8". The springs add a little chop to the ride but mostly feel stock on smoother roads.

I think springs with 1.75" drop in the front and 1.25" in the rear would be perfect for one of these, especially on the Touring. Eibach has these available for the same price. Anything lower would unbalance the look of the car.

Spasso
05-29-2006, 09:32 AM
I forgot to mention that with the new springs it feels much better when thrown into corners hard. The handling has improved nicely.