PDA

View Full Version : Installing euro bumper trim: little help?

Jay 535i
05-26-2006, 12:47 PM
My euro bumper trim just came in the mail. Before I have a crack at installing it, does anyone have any tips on the easiest way to get the old ones off?

What do I do with the wiring and bulbs for the side marker lights, which are getting blanked off? Just stuff 'em into the bumper?

TIA.

ericcamaro
05-26-2006, 12:50 PM
Alrighty its not very easy to get the old stuff off. The back ones you need to slide back and outward, pull as hard as you can and then pull a little harder. You can tell on the new ones which way they need to come off, but its still gonna be real hard. I took out my old bulbs and wrapped the sockets with electrical tape and just left em in there. no big deal but your hands will hurt tomarrow. mine did.

Macv
05-26-2006, 12:57 PM
I had to replace one today, and I'll second the painful hands.

Cant say how hard it was to get off as it was torn part way off by somebody that doesn't agree with my car. Can however say it was tricky (for me at least) to get the new one on.

angrypancake
05-26-2006, 01:46 PM
removal on the back- start with the flat piece in the middle of the bumper. a thin flat head screw driver and pry one end up, then just give it a good yank. the two corner pieces come off pretty easily. same for the front.

installation isn't too difficult, it takes a few seconds to get the corners to slide all the way in. patience and love. all in all it should take you 10 minutes.

as per the wiring from the lights, you can pop the lights off and cut the wires as far down as you can then tape/cap them off and push them into the little recess where they originate from.

Jay 535i
05-26-2006, 01:55 PM
removal on the back- start with the flat piece in the middle of the bumper. a thin flat head screw driver and pry one end up, then just give it a good yank. the two corner pieces come off pretty easily. same for the front.

installation isn't too difficult, it takes a few seconds to get the corners to slide all the way in. patience and love. all in all it should take you 10 minutes.

as per the wiring from the lights, you can pop the lights off and cut the wires as far down as you can then tape/cap them off and push them into the little recess where they originate from.

Thanks, I'll try that.

Where's my money, BTW?

angrypancake
05-26-2006, 01:58 PM
http://img91.imageshack.us/img91/1436/hid0222og.jpg

right behind the wheel is where the only "hard" part is, theres a kind of tab that has to slide in just right. you'll see. and you can see where the center piece ends for you to pry up on it.

jay you shouldve gotten an email from paypal about 3? days ago?

Jay 535i
05-26-2006, 02:11 PM
Yikes, that's a sad pic. Hope you get things sorted, Nat. Is it only cosmetic or is your rear suspension damaged?

I don't have an email from paypal, but if you're not a "verified" paypal user maybe the payment is pending. I'll wait a few more days before I send the leg-breakers ;)