PDA

View Full Version : Newest Tranny Problem

clhorton
05-26-2006, 11:40 AM
OK well I was able to finally get my new 4hp22 back in my car today. Well it was running fine, but had a bad leak somewhere. I found out that it was a small vent on top of the transmission near the rear that must have come off during shipping. I replaced that and there appears to be no more leak. Now when I put the car in gear it is very hesitant to go in gear. Sometimes it will go in gear and sometimes it wont. I will then get the "tranny program" on the dash. The car still acts the same I dont see any difference, it will even still go in reverse. The part of this that has me most worried is there is a loud sound coming from the transmission. I can only describe the sound as close to what you hear when a vehicle is low on power steering fluid. I have checked the fluid perfectly and there seems to be no problems there. Any ideas guys? Thanks!

clhorton
05-26-2006, 01:30 PM
Just wanted to add this. I took the car around the block and the trans program did not come on but the tranny was shifting very erratically. It was still very hesitant to change gears and the strange whining noise still continues.

joshua43214
05-26-2006, 08:46 PM
Can you give us some details? Where did the trans come from? did you have your old one rebuilt or buy a new reman? Did it come prefilled? I assume you checked the fluid. Is it having the exact same problem, or is it different? What was the original complaint?

632 Regal
05-26-2006, 09:54 PM
some places use aftermarket "O" rings on the filters that leak and suck air, thats kinda what it sounds like to me.

clhorton
05-27-2006, 05:52 AM
Tranny is a new unit. Original prob was that it was leaking a great amount of fluid. I fixed that now it seems like it's having trouble shifting into all gears and when it finally makes up it's mind to go into gear it likes to give a trans program error

Tiger
05-27-2006, 06:09 AM
Sounds to me that it is a bad rebuild job... possibly the valve body never been rebuilt.

joshua43214
05-27-2006, 06:55 AM
I assume you mean a reman trans since a new unit would be well over $5k.

If you have a whole new set of problems with a new trans, the trans is almost for sure the fault. You can double check to make sure the wires are properly pluged in and that there is no fluids in the plugs shorting something out. Maybe drop the pan and verify it has the right filter and that is is installed correctly. I agree with Tiger, sounds a bit like a valve body issue. Maybe the person who put it together pinched one of the solenoid wires during assembly

Your not really providing much info, so I can't really say anything more. Who did the install, and who provided the trans? What code is set when the trans program light comes on?

Fluid leaks seems like an odd reason to spend $3k on a trans.

Bill R.
05-27-2006, 07:31 AM
7's with that trans have, There's a different oil pickup screen for the deep pan thats longer. If they have a short filter/screen on a deep pan then the filter will sit too high and it will suck air making the noise you're talking about. How did you check the oil level. Your exact procedure?

Just wanted to add this. I took the car around the block and the trans program did not come on but the tranny was shifting very erratically. It was still very hesitant to change gears and the strange whining noise still continues.

clhorton
05-27-2006, 09:35 AM
I removed the dipstick, cleaned it off, put the car in drive and went forward a few feet then tried to go back, i put it in park let it set for a second then checked the level

Kalevera
05-27-2006, 10:40 AM
Haaah. The speculation is getting ridiculous here.

The trans is a factory reman 4hp-22 with sub 10k miles on it and the remainder of the factory 2 year warranty. It was shipped with the original filter and fluid (as much as could be kept in the pan in the process of removing the dipstick/cooler lines and capping them off).

As I've privately discussed with Corey, I've been reluctant to advise a trip to the dealer given that there was, initially, an EGS fault. BMW's warranty covers the transmission and any internal problem; it does not cover installation or external issues (even a misaligned shift cable), which would lead to a costly visit for Corey. However, given its most recent behavior, and the fact that I don't know of any indepedent local to him with the diagnostic equipment, it's the only realistic solution.

Best, whit

Bill R.
05-27-2006, 11:06 AM
that it was a rebuilt that you shipped to him. So that removes the deep pan, shallow filter idea. How about since it was shipped motor freight no doubt that it got rough handling and possibly even damaged the filter and pickup? Pull the pan and take a look, easy enough to do. In my mind the sound that he's hearing is associated with the pickup sucking air or being low on fluid. Which would also account for erratic shifting.

Haaah. The speculation is getting ridiculous here.

The trans is a factory reman 4hp-22 with sub 10k miles on it and the remainder of the factory 2 year warranty. It was shipped with the original filter and fluid (as much as could be kept in the pan in the process of removing the dipstick/cooler lines and capping them off).

As I've privately discussed with Corey, I've been reluctant to advise a trip to the dealer given that there was, initially, an EGS fault. BMW's warranty covers the transmission and any internal problem; it does not cover installation or external issues (even a misaligned shift cable), which would lead to a costly visit for Corey. However, given its most recent behavior, and the fact that I don't know of any indepedent local to him with the diagnostic equipment, it's the only realistic solution.

Best, whit

clhorton
05-27-2006, 01:15 PM
OK well the problem just got deeper. I dropped the pan and I went ahead and changed the filter. I refilled it and checked the fluid. I added roughly 3 qts per the bentley manual on the procedure. Now the car will not start. It turns over just fine but it will not crank. I'm not really sure what could cause that I checked the connectors near the area I was working such as the oxygen sensor and I checked the main harness connector to the transmission. I'm searching the forum now if anyone has seen something like this just point me into the direction of the thread. Thanks!

duby55
05-27-2006, 03:29 PM
I'm feeling sorry for you right now. I thought I was the only person that had 1 problem turn into a nightmare of multiple issues. Good luck

clhorton
05-27-2006, 05:02 PM
Yeah I know I just want to get the thing going again. I am guessing it is a fuel delivery problem so I guess I'll start the diagnosis on that.:(