PDA

View Full Version : red line tranny fluid

bahnstormer
05-26-2006, 09:21 AM
what do you suggest i use?

Automatic Transmission Fluid» Max ATF® is recommended for all applications where Ford MERCON»® / GM DEXRON® III transmissions fluids are specified. Provides outstanding rust and corrosion protection.

Manual Transmission Fluid» Synchromax® is recommended for manual transmissions that specify automatic transmission fluid, multi-viscosity motor oil or straight grade motor oil.

Synthetic Gear Oil» Max-Gear® is formulated to improve the efficiency of rear end assemblies and manual transmissions. Virtually eliminates both gear and bearing wear. API GL-4 / GL-5 Certified.

i'm not sure whats in there right now, but i think it is bmw's lifetime fluid....

zmuff
05-26-2006, 10:26 AM
When I bought my car way back when, there was red ATF in the tranny. Don't know which brand or anything. I switched over to Redline MTL. I never really noticed a difference in feel or sound afterwards, I just like the fact that it is synthetic and Redline has pretty good products.

Scott H
05-26-2006, 10:40 AM
Tranny calls for ATF. Redline suggests using their D4 ATF in our 260/6. Been switching between that and Mobil 1 ATF for 5 years.....no problems.

http://www.redlineoil.com/prdVarImg/76.jpg

Automatic Transmission Fluid» Max ATF® is recommended for all applications where Ford MERCON»® / GM DEXRON® III transmissions fluids are specified. Provides outstanding rust and corrosion protection.

Manual Transmission Fluid» Synchromax® is recommended for manual transmissions that specify automatic transmission fluid, multi-viscosity motor oil or straight grade motor oil.

Synthetic Gear Oil» Max-Gear® is formulated to improve the efficiency of rear end assemblies and manual transmissions. Virtually eliminates both gear and bearing wear. API GL-4 / GL-5 Certified.

i'm not sure whats in there right now, but i think it is bmw's lifetime fluid....

31Hertz
05-26-2006, 11:12 AM
[QUOTE=Scott H]Tranny calls for ATF. Redline suggests using their D4 ATF in our 260/6. Been switching between that and Mobil 1 ATF for 5 years.....no problems.

I have been researching this recently too. I recently switched to Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF. The first few times I drove the car, it was great. But it has stabilized now to not quite as great; but better than it was before... I also am experiencing some slight rattle in second gear around 1.5K to 2K revs. The fluid I drained out did not "look bad" and was still a fairly bright red. I don't know what brand it might have been. I read up on the Redline site and compared the numbers between Mobil 1 ATF and D4. The numbers are very similar. So I wonder if maybe I need to go to something heavier. The MTL appears to be of a much higher viscosity than the D4, but there is a High-Temp ATF offered by Redline which appears to be somewhere between MTL and the D4. In the numbers, it is closer to the MTL but not quite as viscous. Has anyone used this "High-Temp ATF" in a 6-speed before?

Anthony (M5 in Calgary)
05-26-2006, 11:17 AM
Tranny calls for ATF. Redline suggests using their D4 ATF in our 260/6. Been switching between that and Mobil 1 ATF for 5 years.....no problems.

http://www.redlineoil.com/prdVarImg/76.jpg

Ditto on the D4 from Red Line, especially if the sticker on the trans says ATF.

bfd
05-26-2006, 11:31 AM

It should be noted that Synchromax® manual transmission fluid and Max-Gear® synthetic gear oil are names for Royal Purple products, not Redline.

Nevertheless, I've used Redline and am now using RP and both companies stuff are good and should definitely be used!

Scott H
05-26-2006, 11:31 AM
I do not know what the sticker says on your tranny or what the typical 6 speed requires.

Are you sure the rattle you are hearing isn't resonance from a deteriorating flywheel at 155k miles? Your ears may not have been paying attention to it before and since you have changed fluids, you are focusing on that area....hence a "new" noise that may have been there for a while.

I have been researching this recently too. I recently switched to Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF. The first few times I drove the car, it was great. But it has stabilized now to not quite as great; but better than it was before... I also am experiencing some slight rattle in second gear around 1.5K to 2K revs. The fluid I drained out did not "look bad" and was still a fairly bright red. I don't know what brand it might have been. I read up on the Redline site and compared the numbers between Mobil 1 ATF and D4. The numbers are very similar. So I wonder if maybe I need to go to something heavier. The MTL appears to be of a much higher viscosity than the D4, but there is a High-Temp ATF offered by Redline which appears to be somewhere between MTL and the D4. In the numbers, it is closer to the MTL but not quite as viscous. Has anyone used this "High-Temp ATF" in a 6-speed before?

31Hertz
05-26-2006, 12:10 PM
I do not know what the sticker says on your tranny or what the typical 6 speed requires.

Are you sure the rattle you are hearing isn't resonance from a deteriorating flywheel at 155k miles? Your ears may not have been paying attention to it before and since you have changed fluids, you are focusing on that area....hence a "new" noise that may have been there for a while.

The flywheel and clutch were replaced around 49K miles ago... I would not think that it was bad at this point, but I never saw the PO drive the car. I don't know what his driving habits might have been. It calls for ATF... I have heard the flywheel rattle when starting off in low RPM and this is a higher-pitched rattle, but not quite in the range of a ping...

DueyT
05-26-2006, 04:21 PM
I've been running Redline MTL in my 540/6 for two years and find it to work well. I think it had plain ATF in it before, but it shifts slightly smoother at low temperature. There is still a bit of notchiness going into 2nd, but I think that's from PO shifting hard into 2nd. I have thought about running D4 ATF to get a little bit better low temp shiftability during the winter...anyone tried MTL then changed to D4 ATF?

Cheers,
Duey

gale
05-26-2006, 05:00 PM
The factory ATF spec was created back when Dexron II was available, which was a dino fluid. Now that Dexron II is no longer available, our ATF choices are limited to full synthetic, or synthetic blend i.e. Dexron III or Mercon-4.

I have tried just about every type of fluid that is out there, trying to get smooth syncro action, and have finally settled on Redline MTL.

Various types that I have used:

- synthetic GL-4 gear oil -- great in spring/summer/fall, too stiff in winter

- synthetic ATF -- too slippery, syncro's didn't engage properly & had a signficant brass metal flake residue in the oil when I drained it

- Pennzoil "Syncromesh" -- very smooth but someone on the Roadfly e28 board e-mailed Pennzoil's tech department and they said it wasn't compatible for the Getrag 260 trannies

Swepco 201 dino gear oil, popular with Porsche 911's -- very smooth & quietest of all, but stiff in winter for the 1st few miles.

It's interesting to note that the e28 Bentleys even states that 10W30 or 10W40 motor oil can be used within given temperature ranges.

From what I have researched, I would avoid a full synthetic unless it is specifically formulated for syncro's. Syncro's are dependent on a certain amount of friction to operate properly, and most synthetics are too slippery unless they are formulated with the proper friction modifiers.

One must also be careful with GL-5 gear oil, whether dino or synthetic. Many of them are corrosive to "yellow metal" i.e. brass syncro's. Most GL-4 gear oils are compatible, but check the label to make sure.

Mine is due for a change and Amsoil has recently come out with a manual transmission fluid, so I'm going to try it next and will report back my findings.

bahnstormer
05-26-2006, 07:59 PM
thanks folks

i'll buy some of the redline mtl and try it out

main prob was i grinded 3rd real bad at teh track
and since then on the street it'd grind a litttle
if i wasnt commited to the shift...so i'm thinking
some flakes are in there and shoudl be flushed out

632 Regal
05-26-2006, 08:41 PM
i doubt changing the fluid will help 3rd gears syncro.

thanks folks

i'll buy some of the redline mtl and try it out

main prob was i grinded 3rd real bad at teh track
and since then on the street it'd grind a litttle
if i wasnt commited to the shift...so i'm thinking
some flakes are in there and shoudl be flushed out

Kalevera
05-26-2006, 08:44 PM
Martin, once it's grinding, fluid ain't gonna fix it.

For what it's worth, I use redline MT-90 presently. Synchromax is too thin -- too much noise for my liking. Same with ATF (which was quieter, in three separate trials, in my trans than synchromax).

From everything I've read on it, MT-90 is the same formulation as MTL, only a heavier weight. Shifting with it in the past two weeks (high 30s when cold in the morning - high 60s most afternoons) has me feeling that it is as smooth or smoother than synchromax. And no noise. Most G260s are noisy these days. I don't like noise.

best, whit

bahnstormer
05-26-2006, 08:58 PM
well the syncros are i'm sure in need of replacement i just don't want
any metal flakes in there damaging anything else =\

Derek A.
05-27-2006, 04:28 AM
MT-90 was designed for cars with a transaxle where the differential needed the heavier oil.

Blanton did my trans about 5 years ago. He specified Redline MTL which I have run since this winter. I switched over to Redline D4 ATF - but think I am going to go back to MTL for the hot summer months. I didn't really notice muchof a difference in shifting but do prefer the piece of mind of having a little heavier oil in the trans.

t_marat
05-27-2006, 07:26 AM
Not to hijack the thread.
There is no Redline at where I live. Only well known brands like Mobil1 or Esso. Currently Mobil1 ATF 220.
http://www.ibg.ge/lubricant.asp?lubID=9
After just filling it in, the tranny felt very smooth, but then it settled down. There was Esso ATF before that.
1st and 2nd gears are a little noisy. Which fluid can I use to get rid of that noise? Of the well known brands.
Mileage is 235 000km. About 150 000 miles.

Bill R.
05-27-2006, 07:35 AM
oil, you can see that it requires different oil for the e28's and others compared to the dual mass flywheel trans

The factory ATF spec was created back when Dexron II was available, which was a dino fluid. Now that Dexron II is no longer available, our ATF choices are limited to full synthetic, or synthetic blend i.e. Dexron III or Mercon-4.

I have tried just about every type of fluid that is out there, trying to get smooth syncro action, and have finally settled on Redline MTL.

Various types that I have used:

- synthetic GL-4 gear oil -- great in spring/summer/fall, too stiff in winter

- synthetic ATF -- too slippery, syncro's didn't engage properly & had a signficant brass metal flake residue in the oil when I drained it

- Pennzoil "Syncromesh" -- very smooth but someone on the Roadfly e28 board e-mailed Pennzoil's tech department and they said it wasn't compatible for the Getrag 260 trannies

Swepco 201 dino gear oil, popular with Porsche 911's -- very smooth & quietest of all, but stiff in winter for the 1st few miles.

It's interesting to note that the e28 Bentleys even states that 10W30 or 10W40 motor oil can be used within given temperature ranges.

From what I have researched, I would avoid a full synthetic unless it is specifically formulated for syncro's. Syncro's are dependent on a certain amount of friction to operate properly, and most synthetics are too slippery unless they are formulated with the proper friction modifiers.

One must also be careful with GL-5 gear oil, whether dino or synthetic. Many of them are corrosive to "yellow metal" i.e. brass syncro's. Most GL-4 gear oils are compatible, but check the label to make sure.

Mine is due for a change and Amsoil has recently come out with a manual transmission fluid, so I'm going to try it next and will report back my findings.