PDA

View Full Version : Throttle stuck, again

LAXman2205
05-26-2006, 06:30 AM
So I'm pulling out of my neighborhood street this morning heading off to school. I pull out in 1st gear and shift at about 3,000 rpms......immediately the rpms take off to redline as I press in the clutch to shift to 2nd, it redlines for about 1-2 seconds before I turn the key and just shut the car off. I pull off the road and I have an idea just what the problem is (had similiar problem before but never that high of rpms). The cruise control cable has pulled out of the rubber grommet and the coating of the cable was held up on the outside of the grommet....so I pushed it back in as best I could, fired it up and didnt shift over 2,500rpms. It was fine. This is the 3rd time this has happened and the throttle has been stuck, have any of yall ever had this problem more than once??? Or is this just "my" omen? ......I have to order a new throttle cable and cruise control cable b/c they are both pulled out of the grommets. The last time I had to replace the cruise control cable was about 4 months ago. Seems too early to replace it again, what's the deal???

winfred
05-26-2006, 06:44 AM
you can run a safety wire to hold the cable in the bracket if the grommet is still there but just not securely holding the cable or buy new grommets

joshua43214
05-26-2006, 07:48 AM
I have done a few creative fix's, but none that didn't scare me. I like new gromets the best or cables the best. neither is a huge ordeal to replace and gives lots of warm fuzzies.

LAXman2205
05-26-2006, 01:15 PM
I have done a few creative fix's, but none that didn't scare me. I like new gromets the best or cables the best. neither is a huge ordeal to replace and gives lots of warm fuzzies.

I dont know.......this accelerator cable is looking mighty difficult to replace....it goes behind the brake booster and tucks down into somewhere dark haha. Ok, the first pic is of the cruise control cable and the arrows show where it is supposed to connect and clamp into the gold colored clamp. You can see the white tubing that is getting stuck on the clamp. The second pic is of the accelerator cable and once again the arrows show the points of connection to the clamp. On the accelerator cable the problem is the actual metal surrounding the cable and it gets stuck on the gold clamp for the cable coating. Any suggestions on a temporary fix, ive already tried to tape it really well.

Alexlind123
05-26-2006, 02:48 PM
I used electrical tape to fix mine. Mine was broken in such a way that the sheath was separated and the cable would "catch". Even if my does break again (it has been over 8 months, and the tape shows no signs of "going south") the throttle will only stick at only a fraction of full throttle, so it is not dangerous.

I seem to remember reading about a recall of some sort for this, you may want to do some searching.

Maximabello
05-26-2006, 03:47 PM
Maybe you need this:

http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=11141&highlight=throttle+clip