PDA

View Full Version : Substance on the bottom of tranny pan

JMI
05-25-2006, 06:30 PM
1989 535i Automatic
So about 2 months ago and again about 2 weeks ago got the dreaded "Trans Program" warning. Pulled off to the side of the road, shut down for a minute, restarted and every thing was good. Have had the car for about 4 months. Unsure when the tranny filter was last changed. Today I replaced the transmission filter and replaced about 4.5 quarts of ATF.
Upon dropping the pan found on the bottom of the pan, a thin coating, concentrated around the magnets, a substance that very much resembled anti-seize, gray and mushy, (it did not appear magnetic - this is the low point of the pan). Wiped it out with a rag.
Any idea what it could be? Could it have caused the "Trans Program" warning?

TIA

Jim

TheEndIsNear
05-25-2006, 06:58 PM
Sounds like metallic shavings. When soaked with oil and mushy it can seem like its non-magnetic. Had this problem in my SUV shortly before the transmission went CLUNK.

Rustam
05-25-2006, 06:59 PM
1989 535i Automatic
So about 2 months ago and again about 2 weeks ago got the dreaded "Trans Program" warning. Pulled off to the side of the road, shut down for a minute, restarted and every thing was good. Have had the car for about 4 months. Unsure when the tranny filter was last changed. Today I replaced the transmission filter and replaced about 4.5 quarts of ATF.
Upon dropping the pan found on the bottom of the pan, a thin coating, concentrated around the magnets, a substance that very much resembled anti-seize, gray and mushy, (it did not appear magnetic - this is the low point of the pan). Wiped it out with a rag.
Any idea what it could be? Could it have caused the "Trans Program" warning?

TIA

Jim

Perhaps it was fine metallic dust? I remember seeing it when I worked on my transmission...

Rustam
05-25-2006, 07:00 PM
Sounds like metallic shavings. When soaked with oil and mushy it can seem like its non-magnetic. Had this problem in my SUV shortly before the transmission went CLUNK.

Same here - be aware JMI!

Blitzkrieg Bob
05-25-2006, 07:34 PM
almost graphite like, then your probably okay for a while.

If it is more like glitter/sparkles or metal flake paint....then watchout, you're gonna be in the market for a trans in the near future.

Oh how was the fluid??? dark red? black? smell burnt?

JMI
05-25-2006, 08:04 PM
almost graphite like, then your probably okay for a while.

If it is more like glitter/sparkles or metal flake paint....then watchout, you're gonna be in the market for a trans in the near future.

Oh how was the fluid??? dark red? black? smell burnt?

It was more graphite like. Fluid looked OK. Will take a wait and see attitude.

Thanks

gale
05-25-2006, 09:26 PM
As long as it's just a thin film as opposed to a thick sludge, then you're probably ok. A filter & fluid change will be good. The deposts are most likely clutch friction material and is normal as long as there's a minimum amount and there aren't any chunks. I can't say that it's connected to the "trans program" fault. There are so many things can cause that & it's best to take it to the dealer or an indie with a Modic to have the trans code(s) read & then take it from there. It's rare that a mechanical failure brings on the fault, more often it's an electrical brain fart. Cleaning the console switches and the Cannon connector on the back of the trans can sometimes make it go away. The speed sensor internal to the trans is also a common culprit, but have the codes read before tearing into it.

JMI
05-25-2006, 09:47 PM
As long as it's just a thin film as opposed to a thick sludge, then you're probably ok...

Thanks, sounds good :D .

JMI
07-02-2006, 01:35 PM
I made several threads/posts about my "Trans Program" with limp mode problem. Tried several "fixes" but bottom line is I changed out the Pulse Generator ($40 from stealer) in the transmission (remove pan and it is right there, very easiy job) and no more "Trans Program"!!!