PDA

View Full Version : Engine bay photo's and labels

F4Phantom
05-25-2006, 03:50 AM
Can someone identify the labeled engine parts? M30 Engine.

There are 4 photos and arrows labeled 'A' 'B' 'C' 'D'
I had the coolant level display and after reading all the posts on this site and others I decided to clean up the sensor or replace it. The thing is the bently manual is very sketchy and the sensor is not under the radiator. I think on my engine it is next to the coolant fill cap. I have labeled it 'D'. While I was doing my investigating I also noticed part 'A' and sensors 'B' . Part 'C' my guess is the OBC temp sensor, can anyone tell me what these 4 parts are and where the coolant sensor is on the M30

2985? Thanks guys.

zmuff
05-25-2006, 04:10 AM
A. Double temerature switch

B. DME sensor (next to radiator hose)

B. Coolant temp sensor (next to valve cover)

C. Outside air temperature

D. Coolant level switch

Rustam
05-25-2006, 04:16 AM
A- auxiliary coolant temperature switch
B- two sensors - one for coolant temperature gauge, other (blue plug) same for ECU
C-?
D- coolant level sensor

F4Phantom
05-25-2006, 04:21 AM
yesss, i was right on 2 of those. I didnt realise the 2x B's were different. What is DME? Plug A double temp switch, does this mean there is another temp switch or does double refer to how it works or something. Thanks heaps for that mate, thats a big help because after removing all the plastic cowling and getting plug A coolant in my eyes I was wondering how people say on this forum that changing a coolant level sensor is a 5 min job!

Rustam
05-25-2006, 04:33 AM
yesss, i was right on 2 of those. I didnt realise the 2x B's were different. What is DME? Plug A double temp switch, does this mean there is another temp switch or does double refer to how it works or something. Thanks heaps for that mate, thats a big help because after removing all the plastic cowling and getting plug A coolant in my eyes I was wondering how people say on this forum that changing a coolant level sensor is a 5 min job!

those are two separate temperature switches...
DME - I think "digital motor electronics"

plug A is not coolant level sensor!

joshua43214
05-25-2006, 06:20 AM
[QUOTE=F4Phantom] Plug A double temp switch, does this mean there is another temp switch or does double refer to how it works or something. QUOTE]

Its high and low speed fan switch.

F4Phantom
05-25-2006, 06:50 AM
joshua43214 "Its high and low speed fan switch."

yeah that makes some sense. the annoying thing with this sensor is that you need to twist it the opposite way to have enough wind to not have the wires wound up too much. Really bad for the connections and puts a lot of fatigue in the area.