PDA

View Full Version : angel eyes

weazman187
05-25-2006, 01:48 AM
i am looking for a some angel eye head lights for my e34. i have found these, but i dont know which to choose or what brand i should look for.

http://www.umnitza.com/index.php?cPath=26_95

and these

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/89-95-BMW-E34-525I-535I-TWIN-HALO-PROJECTOR-HEADLIGHTS_W0QQitemZ8067127999QQcategoryZ33710QQrd Z1QQcmdZViewItem

ive found more, one of them came with a clear side indicators and was as cheap as the ones with out.

if any body can help it i would apreciate it

i am also looking for some smoked tail lights or i was wondering if i could just get them tinted myself?

thanks alot.

Nick.Hay
05-25-2006, 05:17 AM
I love the blue in the Ebay ones...

That would be my pick. However, I'm still weighing up options too, and am keen to find out what people say in regard to the ebay ones...

Here are some available thrui ebay australia... Do they look to be the same manufacturer?? Can someone identify these as depos or somethin??

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/BMW-E34-E32-5-7-Series-Angel-Eyes-Head-Lights_W0QQitemZ4642447447QQcategoryZ102322QQssPag eNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
;)

BillionPa
05-25-2006, 04:15 PM
they are the Depo units (same with umnitza), which means that the pic was color adjusted, because the depos halo is the same color as the stock fog lights.

tgrandahl
05-25-2006, 04:29 PM
I just got a pair of the depo ones from ebay, as in they came yesterday. I must say they are better built than i expected for the price and they only thing that i was dissopinted with is that no adapters were provided from the factory to the H1. I was happy to see that they use four bulbs on each eye to evenly distribute the light before it is diffused in the glass, although i am curious of the bulb life. It comes with a harness for the angel eyes although im going to have to butcher it anyways, i can take some pictures for you of them if you would like although im afraid im still missing a bumper grille and hood so it might not give you the best idea of how they will look.

BillionPa
05-25-2006, 07:25 PM
When i am done with my suspension and brakes and various other random crap, I will be designing a relay box with interior control for the angel eyes, that will let them do all kinds of neat stuff.

dont mess with the angel eyes harness, you can just get some adapters at radio shack for like, $1 that connect them to wires.

Nick.Hay
06-01-2006, 06:11 AM
So are the depo one pretty much the pick... Or should we steer clear of them??

Not that I'll be buying any in the next 1000000 years!! :(

Oneday... When all the other stuff is done too!!

Triton540i
06-01-2006, 08:47 AM
WAIT!!! I'm in the middle of a terrible Angel Eye purchase I made online and I'm going to tell you ALL about it!

I went and checked through eBay and found that there are several people selling them through the internet and I want to tell you what to be looking for when you decide to make your purchase.

This is the auction that I won through Ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&item=8065766672&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT

When you look VERY carefully at the actual groupings, the high and low beams, you'll notice that there are grey tabs used for mounting the groups to the actual bracket. The grey tabs are reinforced and less likely going to crack versus the other ones you had pictured in the eBay auction in your post. Go to Umnitza and look very carefully at the tabs and you'll notice the difference.

Alright, now you're probably wondering WHY it matters? The eBay item of mine (that I won) was actually shipped directly from Taiwan and not from the United States. When I opened the boxes, both sets of lights had damage. I'm going to add a link to another posting I did to show you the damage that occured in shipping: http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/203766

To cut to the chase, the one's that Umnitza are supposedly made or called the "DEPO" version, the cheap imitations that were listed in the eBay listing you had are known as the "FK" version. Be careful with your money as I'm dearly paying for my mistake from buying my Angel Eyes through Ebay. My original cost was $300 including shipping, now that jumped to $391.00 including the shipping back to Taiwan to get the supposed "DEPO" version as promised in the orininal eBay auction. If I were to do it all over again, I would go through somebody like Umnitza, pay for the extra costs and be specific with your demand to have the "DEPO" version with the grey reinforced tabs.

I know this is jumbled, but think you get the picture. Be careful in what you buy when it comes to Angel Eyes! I hope when you do get them, it works out GREAT on your 5er!

-Eric

Qube
06-01-2006, 10:08 AM
Yeah, of eight sets of lights I've ordered (not just for e34), tabs were broken on arrival on four of them.

BillionPa
06-01-2006, 10:46 PM
i can tell they arent depos by the high beam bulb.

the depo ones have a reflector above them... the depo high beams suck, but if you get HID low beams you will never have to worry about that heh.

Nick.Hay
06-01-2006, 11:23 PM
Nice one Eric!!

Thats the sort of info I'm after...

1991 525i Novs
06-02-2006, 07:45 AM
i can tell they arent depos by the high beam bulb.

the depo ones have a reflector above them... the depo high beams suck, but if you get HID low beams you will never have to worry about that heh.

which one should ones are u talking about and what is the difference

Gearhead
06-02-2006, 08:30 AM
Anyone know which are the ones BavAuto sells for $399? Page 39 of their latest catalogue. (Couldn't find them on their site.)

Gearhead
06-05-2006, 06:02 AM
Self serving *bump*

weazman187
06-05-2006, 08:49 PM
okay so i am making my purchase soon...should i go with the ebay with out the reflector on the highbeam?

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/BMW-E34-E32-5-7-Series-Angel-Eyes-Head-Lights_W0QQitemZ4642447447QQcategoryZ102322QQssPag eNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

or the one from umnitza

?

Qube
06-06-2006, 06:14 AM
From those two, I'd get whichever is cheaper. Beware though that I've heard two cases where they ordered the 'shielded, better quality' ones and got inferior shipped instead (eBay).

BillionPa
08-10-2006, 03:54 AM
well i finished my relay wiring for the halo rings, will take some pics and post a wiring diagram. it works perfectly, the only thing i need to do is get the control, switch in the dash.

switch is an ON(A) - OFF(center) - ON(B) type
A = halo rings come on with the parking lights
B = halo rings come on with the low beams

i got a 4 pin relay from radioshack and a 5pin (purple bmw tyco 54A) from the dealership, as it was easy to find. any 5 pin "standard" relay (87/87a) of the 15 to 30 amp variety will work.

i also wired a pair of 4700uF capacitors between the ground wires i was using to plug into the angel eye harness plug to be nicer to the bulbs over time. will take a pic of that too.

all in all, the running around to find parts, designing the schematics, building and installing took me.... 8 hours. a walkthrough would probably shorten that to 4 hours (minus the switch in the dash) for someone with the Depo units installed, and if i were to "build" wiring harnesses and supply the wiring required probably only about an hour would be needed.

this does require splicing into the side marker lights (euro trim time anyone?) and also the low beam + wire in order to provide signals to the relays

look for the rather elaborate post i will make later on this topic after i finish ****ing around with the switch, and maybe wire in a relay between the HID + wire and the unused parking light - wire to terminate the low beam msg on the dash.

Paul in NZ
08-10-2006, 05:13 AM
factory to the H1
H1 is a factory fit for non US cars.This has been written about many many times.I beleive Don McAdam??? bought some BMW parts to fit his euro H1 lights

Qube
08-10-2006, 08:02 AM
Heh. All that work so that you can have them on with your city lights?

So I assume that your city lights are on independantly from the parking lights? Otherwise you'd just wire it to the parking lights, right? If not, that's a lot of work....

NB: I tried halos and parking on 'only' with the prior non-depo set and it looked strange... to me anyway. I need the sidemarkers (on parking light mode) to kind of 'frame' the halos for the complete look.

well i finished my relay wiring for the halo rings, will take some pics and post a wiring diagram. it works perfectly, the only thing i need to do is get the control, switch in the dash.

switch is an ON(A) - OFF(center) - ON(B) type
A = halo rings come on with the parking lights
B = halo rings come on with the low beams

i got a 4 pin relay from radioshack and a 5pin (purple bmw tyco 54A) from the dealership, as it was easy to find. any 5 pin "standard" relay (87/87a) of the 15 to 30 amp variety will work.

i also wired a pair of 4700uF capacitors between the ground wires i was using to plug into the angel eye harness plug to be nicer to the bulbs over time. will take a pic of that too.

all in all, the running around to find parts, designing the schematics, building and installing took me.... 8 hours. a walkthrough would probably shorten that to 4 hours (minus the switch in the dash) for someone with the Depo units installed, and if i were to "build" wiring harnesses and supply the wiring required probably only about an hour would be needed.

this does require splicing into the side marker lights (euro trim time anyone?) and also the low beam + wire in order to provide signals to the relays

look for the rather elaborate post i will make later on this topic after i finish ****ing around with the switch, and maybe wire in a relay between the HID + wire and the unused parking light - wire to terminate the low beam msg on the dash.

BillionPa
08-10-2006, 10:45 AM
the circuit is completely separate from the cars lighting system.

except for the relay coil inputs of course.

i now have the option of hitting a button and turning them off, or having them come on with the low beams instead of the parking lights.

i could easily add a circuit to the wiring to put the sidemarker lights on with the halos only though, instead of the parking lights if i wanted, the wiring uses lots of connectors so i can remove it "Quickly"

Qube
08-10-2006, 11:02 AM
Sounds good! Of course, I can't think of a scenario to just have the eyes on and nothing else, but all the power to you :) Hmmm this makes me want to think about hooking up a full lights kill switch.

BillionPa
08-11-2006, 12:54 AM
what i mean is, switch in position 0 = angel eyes dont turn on at all.
position 1 = turn on when the low beams turn on (parking lights already on)
position 2 = turn on when parking lights turn on (which turn on when locking and unlocking car, and when it remote starts.