PDA

View Full Version : Torque Values

puck1
05-24-2006, 06:56 PM
I was wondering if anyone knows what the torque values are for replacing outer steering links ( tie rod assy. ) and the center track rod/tie rod for a 1991 BMW 525. My daily driver has pushed passed the 361,000 km. mark and is finally in need of a little TLC. I received the parts from Racing King at a very reasonable price but I still can't see myself taking it to the BMW Stealer for labor. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Dave M
05-24-2006, 07:37 PM
If you have a Bentleys manual, which all would recommend for any DIY'er, it should be in there. If not, right click and save the following bmw_torque_values (http://www.mwrench.com/Whitepapers/torqspec.pdf)for future projects as well. Its a very handy reference.

Good luck with your tie rod(s). Make sure you have a good quality puller on hand. If you're in Canada, go 'borrow' the puller set from Canadian Tire. There is an excellent one in there that popped mine off quickly. Would probaly work wonders on a thrust arm as well :)

Dave M

puck1
05-29-2006, 09:37 AM
If you have a Bentleys manual, which all would recommend for any DIY'er, it should be in there. If not, right click and save the following bmw_torque_values (http://www.mwrench.com/Whitepapers/torqspec.pdf)for future projects as well. Its a very handy reference.

Good luck with your tie rod(s). Make sure you have a good quality puller on hand. If you're in Canada, go 'borrow' the puller set from Canadian Tire. There is an excellent one in there that popped mine off quickly. Would probaly work wonders on a thrust arm as well :)

Dave M

Thanks Dave; I should have got a manual long ago. I have been relying on sites llike bmwe34.net for so long, but it's definately time to purchase a manual.
Pete D.

632 Regal
05-29-2006, 08:02 PM
when you have it up on ramps, make sure the steering wheel is straight (dont straighten the wheels on the ramps). When you are ready to re-instal, adjust them so they go right in without pushing or pulling the tires and your alignmant will be spookily the same as before :D