PDA

View Full Version : Low speed/rpm vibration - Driveshaft ?

Derek A.
05-24-2006, 03:03 PM
I am noticing that in first or second gear from 1000rpm up - I get a slight vibration. Almost sounds like a rumble strip.

I am also getting a seat of the pants vibration at 45-60 mph - intermittently.

Anyone come across a similar situation and find it was the driveshaft? I threw a couple of trans mounts at it. Indy thinks its the shaft. While I was underneath I wiggled it - didn't get much movement out of it.

Thoughts ?

Derek A.

joshua43214
05-24-2006, 03:31 PM
Check the carrier bearing and the flex disk. If you had an experienced tech drive it and say drive shaft, I woud go after the drives haft. They make a rather distinctive vibration and an experienced person will spot it instantly.

ryan roopnarine
05-24-2006, 03:47 PM
the "rumble strip" comment sounds exactly like guibo and/or support. you can feel in in your backside when it vibrates. you might be able to sniff out the center bearing by putting your right hand on the driveshaft tunnel when the sound/vibration is being produced...IANA(mechanic)

Derek A.
05-24-2006, 04:41 PM
At 194k - I might just order up a rebuilt shaft, instead of monkeying around. They already come with the center bearing installed. I gotta imagine that 5 speed bangs those joints up pretty good.

s_ribbens
05-24-2006, 05:30 PM
Is there really any reason to warrent buying a new drive shaft? I wouldn't think so. The flex disc isn't that hard to change yourself (should be do-able in under an hour).

Derek A.
05-24-2006, 07:10 PM
The guibo is in good shape. The problem is going to lie in the center bearing or the universal joints. Given the BS involved in dropping the driveshaft and replacing the center bearing. At 200K miles those universals I am sure are warn - and its what the tech said was making the noise.