PDA

View Full Version : Driver's door deadlocked, lock stuck - actuator wont open it... Any ideas?

ArtemLepilov
05-24-2006, 11:29 AM
I hate my driver's door :(

-Artem

Espen
05-24-2006, 11:35 AM
Tried to open it with the key from the outside?
Are the passenger door lock normal? Checked all fuses under the backseat? Tried to disconnect the GM module for a while, then put it back in?

ArtemLepilov
05-24-2006, 11:37 AM
yeap, everything is normal, i can even feel the actuator move in the door... All other doors open and all... The driver's door is the one you cant open with a key (in US)

-Artem

-Thanks for ideas though :) appreciate them... This is a tricky one :(

BillionPa
05-24-2006, 11:46 AM
pull off the interior panels if you can to get to the locking mechanism, then use a screwdriver or something.

but first there is apparently (http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/trouble/Locked.htm) a way to "reset" the locks.

ArtemLepilov
05-24-2006, 11:54 AM
I dont think I can pull the panels off. They are jammed in between the actual door and the frame of the car. Tried doing the reset but it just syncs the actuators and since the actuator itself doesnt unlock the door, it is virtually useless.

-Thanks y'all :) Artem

BillionPa
05-24-2006, 11:56 AM
hmm, find the wiring to the doors actuator and try to manually apply voltage?

ArtemLepilov
05-24-2006, 11:57 AM
Thats a good idea... I will look for a diagram somewhere...
Maybe I can apply and reapply voltage to the actuator to force the lock out...

Is there anything possible to open the door in a case like that?

-Artem

Ross
05-24-2006, 01:28 PM
On a locked car with a dead battery I was able to get in just by holding preesure against the lock. I can't explain why this worked but it did. Perhaps disconnect the battery and try. Good luck!

joshua43214
05-24-2006, 03:22 PM
Your owners manual has a proceedure for over riding the lock with the key.

Don't double lock the doors, it serves almost no purpose.

ArtemLepilov
05-24-2006, 04:15 PM
There is a way to override it on a passenger side door, but the same doesnt work for the driver's side door :(

-Artem

andmd
09-11-2006, 03:21 PM
I had the same problem (deadlocked driver's door that wouldn't open). I asked a BMW mechanic friend what to do. He said roll down the window, take out the GM and turn the key while pulling on the door handle. If you time it right, it might work eventually, he said. It worked for me in 5 seconds, and that was after three days of trying everything else I could think of to get the door open.

Side note: I took out the door lock actuator, pried it open and found a metal piece inside had broken. A little JB Weld was all it took, and it's working fine so far.

Also: In the actuator there's a little switch that's supposed to open/close as the actuator bar moves in and out. It wasn't moving. After I tested it and bent it around until it would switch, I reinstalled it. That fixed the problem I had with having to lock and unlock the doors twice just to get the locks to stay where I wanted them. I don't know if that's a reliable fix for that somewhat common problem, but it worked for me.