PDA

View Full Version : Reverse light switch issue?

M-what
05-24-2006, 09:28 AM
My reverse lights is not working. But before I replace the switch (the bulbs are ok), i want to run it by the experts. With the lights off, and I put the car in reverse, the odometer display dims and few seconds later the message pops up on the display "license bulb failure".

So is this a switch or something else?
Thanks

BillionPa
05-24-2006, 10:30 AM
well... replace the bulb on the license plate and see what happens

could very well be damaged wiring somewhere in the trunk

joshua43214
05-24-2006, 04:05 PM
Check the trunk harness, sounds like a short.

M-what
05-24-2006, 07:26 PM
Check the trunk harness, sounds like a short.

I was hoping it was just a reverse switch since all the bulbs are ok. Guess I'll add it to the list of things to do... Thanks

bill g
05-25-2006, 01:36 AM
More specifically check the wiring harness where it is attached to the trunk lid hinge arm - the part of the harness which flexes every time you open and close the lid. Mine looked OK superficially but when I removed the tape wrap over the wiring I found several broken wires. Common problem with these cars.

Bill G

M-what
05-25-2006, 08:37 AM
More specifically check the wiring harness where it is attached to the trunk lid hinge arm - the part of the harness which flexes every time you open and close the lid. Mine looked OK superficially but when I removed the tape wrap over the wiring I found several broken wires. Common problem with these cars.

Bill G

Thanks for the tip. I will check tonight.

NJHokie
09-03-2006, 02:37 PM
I have the same issue with the reverse lights. I checked the wiring briefly but didn't notice anything obvious. I'll look inside the wrapping on the lid arm like you suggested. Did that solve your issue M-what?

Here's some observations I made while snooping around:
-license plate lights and right trunk light on trunk lid are really dim when they should be on fully. the left trunk lid light is not on at all. I checked the bulb, it works.
-brake lights do not go on when the car is completely off while depressing brake pedal. they should right?
-just got another dash error saying 'tail light' instead of 'lic plate light'
-when i unplug the connector to the right reverse light assy, the dim lights go out completely

maybe someone can help me out and deduce something from that mess or maybe someone has a wiring diagram? I need to order a bentley manual this week.