PDA

View Full Version : 5HP30 Lifetime ATF Fluid Update - 22K miles

Nikasilaholic
05-24-2006, 08:08 AM
I now have 133,000 miles on my 5HP30 and no issues. As some of you have researched my previous posts, the Pennzoil MVATF looks like a good candidate for the Shell LA2634 replacement. I've got 22,000 miles on the MVATF (111K-133K) and the transmission shifts the same as it did at 111K.

As I've posted before, I wonder if a lot of the hesitation on using alternative fluids is due to pride issues. Some people can't get over the fact that they overpaid for something and will rigorously defend their decision just to save face. I admit, I overpaid for a lot of things in life. There, I said it. Lets move on and learn from it.

If the chemical (ATF, motor oil, coolant, whatever) is compatible and endorsed by the manufacturer's, what's the issue? If someone tells you that you can only use Mobil 1 5W30 oil in your car otherwise your engine will fail, would you believe them? Some people that like to brag about paying large amounts of money for things probably would!

As we all know the specs between Mobil, Amsoil, Valvoline, Shell, Pennzoil and others are different (i.e. ash content), but most of you wouldn't hesitate putting in a quart of any synthetic 5W30 oil in your car if it needed it.

I'll be changing out my wife's E38 750iL 5HP30 fluid in the next couple of weeks. The trans calls for Esso fluid but, being the red-headed stepchild that I am, I'll probably spring for the Mercon V or Pennzoil MVATF fluid. The 750 has the original fluid and 167,000 miles. If that doesn't convince someone, I don't know what will.

Tiger
05-24-2006, 08:22 AM
Ahh... I remember this delimma... I was the first or the earliest adopter of Pennzoil Multi-Vehicle ATF... Quaker State is same thing. Two years later... but not as much mileage as you got... zero problem with my 5HP30.

Like I said, Shell owns Pennzoil and Quaker State. I think they remarketed the same fluid to make more profit out of their excellent product. This fluid is so superior to normal Dextron III... and I believe it has the same excellent property of original Dextron. The newer versions of Dextrons are not as good.

Nikasilaholic
05-24-2006, 10:36 AM
As I stated before, I had an occasional slip from 2nd to 3rd with the original fluid prior to the initial change at 107,000 miles. After my second fluid change (1st change with Redline D4ATF was a little too thin, i.e. high viscosity index), the trans shifts great! I think for the 750, I'm going to use an aftermarket filter with an OEM O-ring. I didn't see any differences in the filter construction and we all know now that the infamous tranny whine is caused by the thinner sealing O-ring supplied in the aftermarket filter kits (assuming your fluid level is correct). One last little trick, for those of you that strip some of the pan bolts (Murphy's Law is practiced here), use a 11mm box wrench pressed over the bolt head with a hydraulic jack to loosen it up.

charlie
05-30-2006, 08:17 AM
how much is the fluid vs. the LA2634?

I now have 133,000 miles on my 5HP30 and no issues. As some of you have researched my previous posts, the Pennzoil MVATF looks like a good candidate for the Shell LA2634 replacement. I've got 22,000 miles on the MVATF (111K-133K) and the transmission shifts the same as it did at 111K.

As I've posted before, I wonder if a lot of the hesitation on using alternative fluids is due to pride issues. Some people can't get over the fact that they overpaid for something and will rigorously defend their decision just to save face. I admit, I overpaid for a lot of things in life. There, I said it. Lets move on and learn from it.

If the chemical (ATF, motor oil, coolant, whatever) is compatible and endorsed by the manufacturer's, what's the issue? If someone tells you that you can only use Mobil 1 5W30 oil in your car otherwise your engine will fail, would you believe them? Some people that like to brag about paying large amounts of money for things probably would!

As we all know the specs between Mobil, Amsoil, Valvoline, Shell, Pennzoil and others are different (i.e. ash content), but most of you wouldn't hesitate putting in a quart of any synthetic 5W30 oil in your car if it needed it.

I'll be changing out my wife's E38 750iL 5HP30 fluid in the next couple of weeks. The trans calls for Esso fluid but, being the red-headed stepchild that I am, I'll probably spring for the Mercon V or Pennzoil MVATF fluid. The 750 has the original fluid and 167,000 miles. If that doesn't convince someone, I don't know what will.

MBXB
05-30-2006, 08:27 AM
Pennzoil MVATF was about $34.00 for a case of 12-1 qt.

MBXB
05-30-2006, 08:36 AM
Delivered to your closest ACE Hardware:

http://www.acehardwareoutlet.com/(5yme0bmtrow25h55a3tmycyv)/ProductDetails.aspx?SKU=8165185&Source=froogle

Tiger
05-30-2006, 12:11 PM
LA2634 is $18 a quart... Pennzoil MV-ATF is $3.49 at Pep Boys. You need at least 8 quarts for drain and refill... more if you change out your valve body.

charlie
05-30-2006, 12:36 PM
anyone have any 'confirmation' that this is ok from the resident expert Kirk Koeller?

LA2634 is $18 a quart... Pennzoil MV-ATF is $3.49 at Pep Boys. You need at least 8 quarts for drain and refill... more if you change out your valve body.

Tiger
05-30-2006, 01:30 PM
I asked Kirt... he won't confirm... ZF won't confirm either. I got it in my car for 2 years now... still perfect. If you used wrong fluid, it will kill your tranny in matter of days.