PDA

View Full Version : heater flap loose?

wingman
05-23-2006, 06:00 PM
Searched this one with not able to find a similar problem. It sounds as if the flap that regulates air to the central dash vents has come away from its motor and opens and closes by itself indescriminently. I've tried a number of things like braking, accelerating etc to make it happen but it seems to work all by itself. The sound sounds exactly like closing a manually controlled vent (hard to describe). I am pretty certain that i'm on the right track as I had no dash heat this morning then turned the fan up, heard the noise and hey presto there was the heat. Has anyone had this problem and if so how did you fix it?

joshua43214
05-24-2006, 05:27 AM
Unfortunately, you are probably going to have to dig arround in there ad see what is moving and not moving. some of the flap motors are visible with the hush panel and the glove box removed. Someone posted a map of the heater flaps and the drive motors a while back, hopefuly its someting simple

The motors have a bad habit of breaking free of their mounts, hopefuly you are not experiencing this nightmare. If you are, there a number of fix's that don't require replacing the entire upper heater case.

wingman
05-24-2006, 05:28 PM
Thanks Joshua. I was hoping someone had experienced the exact same problem so I could go to a specific area rather than pull it all out. I've worked on BMW heaters before and they're a nightmare.