PDA

View Full Version : Any danger in overfilling the P/S???

Dan in NZ
03-27-2004, 09:58 PM
I have a slow leak from the steering box, and slipped a bit when I topped it up yesterday. It's just about 1cm (1/2inch) above the high mark on the dipstick? Just wondering if I should leave it in or suck a bit out so it's the right level.

It's funny, now that it's overfilled, the steering actually feels better, I don't get the brief moments of no-boost when parking.

tim s
03-27-2004, 11:07 PM
I have a slow leak from the steering box, and slipped a bit when I topped it up yesterday. It's just about 1cm (1/2inch) above the high mark on the dipstick? Just wondering if I should leave it in or suck a bit out so it's the right level.

It's funny, now that it's overfilled, the steering actually feels better, I don't get the brief moments of no-boost when parking.

winfred
03-28-2004, 12:10 AM
the only bimmers to worry about over filling the ps is ones with hydro boost instead of vaccum for the brakes, that can cause the brakes to lock up during extended use like sitting in traffic with your foot on the brake, for those cars, with the engine off mash the brake 20 or more times to purge the stored pressure, then fill the tank till fluid is about 1" from the top or about even with the bottom of the screen (as in you can bearly see it)