PDA

View Full Version : 230k too high milage?

Slimer
05-23-2006, 09:55 AM
Hello everyone, I'm new to the boards and needed some advice on a car I spotted in the paper. It's a 1991 M5, I went
and test drove the thing and I was surprised at the acceleration. I had an idea that the thing would be fast, but
putting my foot down in third on the freeway was a real eye-opener. The guy wants 12k for the thing, but that isn't my concern.
It's the 230k on the odometer that has me a bit worried. If I buy it, it will be a daily driver, and I'm not sure if milage that
high is something I should be getting into.. How long do those M5 motors go for, and if it needs major attention later on who can work on it?
I have never seen a car like this for sale and would love to own it, but I want to be realistic about it. Any advice would be appreciated :)

BTW, it doesn't burn any oil, make any ticking sounds at idle and it pulls like a F-15 fighter on takeoff... amazing for that high milage!

Slimer
05-23-2006, 09:57 AM
Ack, forgive the double post please....

s_ribbens
05-23-2006, 10:03 AM
Sounds a little high in price to me but more experienced members will have to add their input here. As for the milage, it's high but it is a good motor that can last quite a while if it's been taken care of. You have to decide what you want from a car. If you don't mind taking on some maint/replacement (which you will have more than a 60k mile car), then go for it if the price is acceptable. Otherwise, keep looking for a lower milage car.

Robin-535im
05-23-2006, 10:04 AM
For an ordinary M30 I'd say the mileage is okay, but seeing as how the S38 engine is a pricey rebuild, I'd say 12k is too high. For that price you can get one with half the mileage, and although mileage is not an absolute indicator of health it's a good first order estimate. I saw one on roadfly classifieds for 13k with 102k miles, which is probably about right.

I've also heard that the trannies can go on the e34 m5 if not properly maintained, so service records would be critical before buying it with that high of mileage. Offer the guy $8k if you love the car and it passes pre-inspection, otherwise I would keep looking.

HTH

Robin

Slimer
05-23-2006, 10:20 AM
Thanks for the quick responses guys. The car seems perfect, funny how finicky I am about higher milage vehicles, yet I didnt seem to care as much with this one. Guess I'm just trying to justify buying it by posting here first, that way the little voice in my head wont pester me as much when it's sitting in my driveway lol.

Funny too that this is the first BMW I've ever been in...

I'll see if the guy will lower the price a bit, might have it in the next few days if things go well. Thanks again for the advice ;)

For an ordinary M30 I'd say the mileage is okay, but seeing as how the S38 engine is a pricey rebuild, I'd say 12k is too high. For that price you can get one with half the mileage, and although mileage is not an absolute indicator of health it's a good first order estimate. I saw one on roadfly classifieds for 13k with 102k miles, which is probably about right.

I've also heard that the trannies can go on the e34 m5 if not properly maintained, so service records would be critical before buying it with that high of mileage. Offer the guy $8k if you love the car and it passes pre-inspection, otherwise I would keep looking.

HTH

Robin

s_ribbens
05-23-2006, 10:33 AM

Is this your first European car purchase? If so, then I completely understand the hesitation with the milage. Not that 230k is insignificant, but compared to it's American counterparts it is nothing. My ex's dad was your typical "American car only" type guy. Although he secretly lusted after an E46 M3, he was very much of the mind-set that a brand new $20k American car was by far a better deal than a $20k used BMW with 50k miles. When I helped his daughter buy her first car he was a bit skeptical since she chose a Mini Cooper. It's hard not to like them, but it's not American. He's since changed his tune after seeing how well made BMW cars are as well as the service they give you versus his Jeep dealership. ("You mean they actually wash and vaccume your car for free and call the next day to check on you???" Lol.)

I just picked up a '89 535 with 232k on the clock and didn't think twice about it. I already have 1k+ on the car over the last month and it's been running as good as I could have expected.

See what you can do on price. Some people are simply unrealistic on pricing but they'll have to face the facts eventually.

BillionPa
05-23-2006, 11:31 AM
take a look at the engine bay and look under the car for leaks.

also try to notice any shaking of the car at about... 50mph

Rustam
05-23-2006, 11:37 AM
Thanks for the quick responses guys. The car seems perfect, funny how finicky I am about higher milage vehicles, yet I didnt seem to care as much with this one. Guess I'm just trying to justify buying it by posting here first, that way the little voice in my head wont pester me as much when it's sitting in my driveway lol.

I'll see if the guy will lower the price a bit, might have it in the next few days if things go well. Thanks again for the advice ;)

That car will drain your bank account. Ask why he sells. The engines are more complex than regular m30 - 24 valves twin camshaft. It may be VERY overbearing thing for a DIY'er. And those camshafts are expensive.

Slimer
05-23-2006, 02:03 PM
I just got back from his house and took a -real- look at the critter... gonna pass on it I think. The first drive was just a quick run around the block. Now after it has been sitting for a day and Ive had time to look around it I see what was once a nice car that has been abused to all hell.

All of the exterior trim is peeling away or warping in some fashion, all 4 wheels have been curbed and have noticable damage along the rims, and the interior is so-so condition. Also, I didnt notice it as much the first time, but when I opened the door today I was hit by a wall of stench that I think resulted from a smoker. As I sit here typing this I can smell the M5's interior stench still clinging to my jacket... all of this for 12k :p

And the really funny part to all of this? From 15-20 feet away it looks immaculate (did I mention that it is black?). Gonna pass on it, thanks for the input everyone. Going to check for some ones in better condition and will let you all know what developes.

ericcamaro
05-23-2006, 04:52 PM
offer him 7k thats all it sounds like its worth.

Rustam
05-23-2006, 06:01 PM
I just got back from his house and took a -real- look at the critter... gonna pass on it I think. The first drive was just a quick run around the block. Now after it has been sitting for a day and Ive had time to look around it I see what was once a nice car that has been abused to all hell.

All of the exterior trim is peeling away or warping in some fashion, all 4 wheels have been curbed and have noticable damage along the rims, and the interior is so-so condition. Also, I didnt notice it as much the first time, but when I opened the door today I was hit by a wall of stench that I think resulted from a smoker. As I sit here typing this I can smell the M5's interior stench still clinging to my jacket... all of this for 12k :p

And the really funny part to all of this? From 15-20 feet away it looks immaculate (did I mention that it is black?). Gonna pass on it, thanks for the input everyone. Going to check for some ones in better condition and will let you all know what developes.

Very good for you! look around and be careful. I did not take advice through a comment that I saw once: "bmws are nice and hard to resist but there maybe a load of trouble under the skin"...