PDA

View Full Version : OT: if just 1% of these people have any sway over GM, they're toast...

ryan roopnarine
05-22-2006, 07:41 AM
just to start with, this webboard has NO affiliation with GM, not trying to slander GM. it is just that i don't have a hard time believing that there isn't SOMEONE over at GM that doesn't think this way. this is a 4-6 page schlock fest about how "if people were offered 2.2l v8 engines (even with gas prices the way they are) as options in economy cars, people would buy them, 'cause murricans looove v8 engines....

i clicked on the page for totally unrelated reasons, but stayed to read the things because I, like many other people, can't avoid looking at traffic accidents.

SO SORRY. I FORGOT TO INCLUDE THE LINK

http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/archive/index.php?t-26740.html

632 Regal
05-22-2006, 08:32 AM
LOL...I have a V8...

Gearhead
05-22-2006, 08:43 AM
I have 4....

'69 Firebird 400; '73 Firebird 350; '95 540i; 2001 F-150 Crew Cab. I guess i'm personally responsible for the current gas prices. Sorry guys.

Ross
05-22-2006, 09:03 AM
Yes, we love our V-8s. Problem is they're all languishing in some giant piece of **** with underinflated tires drive by some comatose bimbo on a cell phone who's in everyone's way!

joshua43214
05-22-2006, 09:38 AM
HAHA, I used to be a GM fan too, then I got help. Don't hold your breath, by the time GM decides there is a market for a mini V8, there won't be any market share left except for the GM junies.

uflnuceng
05-22-2006, 09:54 AM
GM has some amazing technology in their V8's, both of yesteryear and today. Unforunately the unions are killing them, and they are letting it happen to them. All american companies are not looking at the big picture, they don't see where the American market is going (or they don't care to see), which is why you see a million and a half hyundai driving around where I live. Aside from SUVs, American car build qualities are pretty much **** and unoriginal. It is my upmost belief that the American automakers could own the industry and make inexpensive cars that could rival BMWs, VWs, Mercedes, and the top Jap cars.

/rant

Edit: Oh... and V8 thing probably wouldn't work because no matter how you cut it, the cost of a V8 is more expensive than a V6 or I4. Maybe if GM pulled a BMW move and made a V8 out of two Ecotecs... that would be hot and maybe not that expensive.

Dave M
05-22-2006, 10:00 AM
Pretty funny. Some of my favorite quotes:

I always liked saying, "yea, I've got a V8". Why do you think the hemi's so popular?

LAMRONH
The US (other than in the 80's) has never lost it's love affair with V8's. I think with all the technology we have now the large V8 sedan can make a comeback. I'd buy one in a few years, especially if it is RWD and has some giddy up.
Judging from sales, Americans have yet to lose their love for RWD V8-powered vehicles that weigh 3800-4800 lbs.
One of the head cases at Road & Track made a case a few years back for a 4-door sedan based on the F 150 (I think). He was going to use the same doors front and rear, w/rear suicides, and just lower things and re-panel it so it looks like a car. You end up with a very rugged, reliable, powerful, RWD V8 cheap-to-build big sedan.

LAMRONH

IT SEEMS MOST OF YOU THINK I AM SILLY AT BEST, AND SIMPLY STUPID AT WORST - DESPITE MY HAVING SCORED GENIUOUS LEVEL IQ RESULTS.

There are lots of smart people in the world.

Dave M

632 Regal
05-22-2006, 11:07 AM
not a lot they can do about the unions, even if they close down and reopeen across the street once they have (I believe its 12 employees) They can vote for union again and again ruin the company. Unions had their place back in the 40s and 50s but now its organized crime in the way it tells the companies what and how to do business.

GM has some amazing technology in their V8's, both of yesteryear and today. Unforunately the unions are killing them, and they are letting it happen to them. All american companies are not looking at the big picture, they don't see where the American market is going (or they don't care to see), which is why you see a million and a half hyundai driving around where I live. Aside from SUVs, American car build qualities are pretty much **** and unoriginal. It is my upmost belief that the American automakers could own the industry and make inexpensive cars that could rival BMWs, VWs, Mercedes, and the top Jap cars.

/rant

Edit: Oh... and V8 thing probably wouldn't work because no matter how you cut it, the cost of a V8 is more expensive than a V6 or I4. Maybe if GM pulled a BMW move and made a V8 out of two Ecotecs... that would be hot and maybe not that expensive.

uflnuceng
05-22-2006, 11:45 AM
not a lot they can do about the unions, even if they close down and reopeen across the street once they have (I believe its 12 employees) They can vote for union again and again ruin the company. Unions had their place back in the 40s and 50s but now its organized crime in the way it tells the companies what and how to do business.

Pretty much... just makes me go "What... the... F*CK?!?" when I heard that GM adds $1500 to each vehicle's invoice price to cover the cost of their retiree healthcare benefits. They can't get rid of the unions, but they can go to court and fight to cancel their old union contracts. must... stop... rant... must... stay... on topic...

Unions suck and are the worst thing for business.

A 2.2L V8 pegging 9000 rpm would be freaking sweet, even if it only made 150hp. I would totally get one.

Union workers, from personal management experience, can only be budgeted to work at a 45-50% production rate of a non-union hourly or salaried worker.

Love the guy who says people love the HEMI because its a V8. No... people love HEMI's because of its amazing advertising campaign. HEMI's themselves suck the big one and the cars and trucks Dodge puts out on the road today are not real HEMI's.

Ugh... gotta leave before I make another comment about how worthless any union is... they suck (damnit!)