PDA

View Full Version : Radio reception on my aftermarket HU SUCKS!

Calico_NC
05-21-2006, 09:59 PM
I don’t know what’s going on with it. I previously had an aftermarket radio installed and the reception was fine. I now just recently upgraded to a Kenwood model, now the reception sucks. I cant get clear reception from any stations except for very close stations. Is it something to do with the antenna or something? I hooked up everything fine. Maybe the antenna isn't working properly. ANY TAKERS?

bjl4776
05-21-2006, 10:04 PM
Did you hook up the wire for the power antena? When i installed my aftermarket headunit I had the same problem. Then I found out that even though there isnt an antenna that goes up and down, there is an a amplifier. If the power to the amplifier isnt hooked up, you will have very shitty reception. Check that out.

Calico_NC
05-21-2006, 10:12 PM
where is this located at? On the HU or the wire harness from the factory wires?

TheEndIsNear
05-22-2006, 12:28 AM
My FM stations come in fine but I cant get any AM at all...

genphreak
05-22-2006, 04:19 AM
My FM stations come in fine but I cant get any AM at all...I would expect that the amplifier remote on wire on the radio (blue usually) is not conected to the car's amplifier remote on, (usually a little pink wire on a '88 535i- so check which it is on yours before wrecking anything).

Mine is this type, with the antenna integrated into the rear window. It works fine with every head unit I've put in it. On these cars I bet that is used to turn on the the antenna amplifier as well.

If the antenna amp is not activated I can't see you getting very good reception. :) Nick

TheEndIsNear
05-25-2006, 10:40 AM
I would expect that the amplifier remote on wire on the radio (blue usually) is not conected to the car's amplifier remote on, (usually a little pink wire on a '88 535i- so check which it is on yours before wrecking anything).

Mine is this type, with the antenna integrated into the rear window. It works fine with every head unit I've put in it. On these cars I bet that is used to turn on the the antenna amplifier as well.

If the antenna amp is not activated I can't see you getting very good reception. :) Nick
That was the problem, hooked up the power amp for the antenna and she took right off...

Gearhead
05-25-2006, 11:21 AM
Josh, was this an aftermarket unit or the factory? I'm having the same AM issue with the factory unit and it's killing me because I'm a talk radio junkie.

Thanks,

John

TheEndIsNear
05-25-2006, 06:49 PM
Mine is an aftermarket deck, but my friend the Car Toys installer, says that he has seen a few where an aftermarket deck was in at one time. Then someone put the stock unit back in and bam no AM because the signal amp wire is 'effed up. It seems that FM comes in ok without the amp but AM doesn't come in at all. You might want to grab an OHM meter/multi-tester and check to see if your getting power to the signal amp.

Gearhead
05-25-2006, 07:54 PM
Okay, forgive my ignorance. Uh..... are we talking #2 here?
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=HE63&mospid=47410&btnr=65_0047&hg=65&fg=30

TheEndIsNear
05-26-2006, 12:15 AM
That we are...