PDA

View Full Version : Car not rolling in neutral

digitaldragon03
05-21-2006, 06:16 PM
So the other night, morning since it was 3am, i was going to take my 540iA out. I didnt want to wake my parents because im pretty sure they wouldnt appreciate me being out that late. I didnt want to start the car in the driveway for fear of waking them up so i decided to push the car down the street some and then crank it. I put the car in Neutral and pushed it perhaps 3 feet before the car just stopped and it then just leaned forwards and back as if it were still in Park, but the lever was still in Neutral. Is this some sort of car theft safety feature? I love my car the more i find out about it.

632 Regal
05-21-2006, 06:55 PM
parking brake?

Felixdacat
05-21-2006, 08:18 PM
Its called the ....PSAF.....Parent safety alert feature....They can install it like LoJack. House sensors distance of car and puts on parking brake.

joshua43214
05-21-2006, 08:38 PM
Car should roll freely in neutral, you probably have a dragging brake.

BillionPa
05-21-2006, 10:26 PM
slotted rotors?

digitaldragon03
05-21-2006, 11:15 PM
Made sure parking brake was down, my parents would be the last in the world to know about PSFA, normal rotors, and i dont know what a dragging brake is.

DaveVoorhis
05-22-2006, 02:19 AM
... i decided to push the car down the street some and then crank it. I put the car in Neutral and pushed it perhaps 3 feet before the car just stopped and it then just leaned forwards and back as if it were still in Park, but the lever was still in Neutral.

Back in my home town, a local vagrant would sometimes consume a tad too much tipple, come to find vertical attitudes challenging, and have a bit of a lie-down in someone's driveway. Maybe this happens in your home town too?

A dragging brake is one or more wheels that are unable to turn freely due to brake problems, such as sticking caliper pistons, hydraulic problems, etc.

Felixdacat
05-22-2006, 03:14 PM
On a serious note..Does his car have the same style of rear drum/disc brake as my 89 535i does? I know that when I replaced my rear rotors, they had alot of dust in them, which caused my brakes to bind up a little.

joshua43214
05-22-2006, 05:58 PM
On a serious note..Does his car have the same style of rear drum/disc brake as my 89 535i does? I know that when I replaced my rear rotors, they had alot of dust in them, which caused my brakes to bind up a little.

Yes, they all use drum E-brakes inside the rear rotors.

Gearhead
05-22-2006, 09:36 PM
Yeah, definately check for vagrants.