PDA

View Full Version : 195 525 dashboard noise

babypens
05-21-2006, 08:03 AM
1995 525i Auto has a loud rattle in dash. Rattle present from 75 mph to 110. Sounds like nylon/plastic gears stripping/slipping. Instrument cluster pulled and disconnected- not there (I'll never pull that again while driving). Noise seems to be coming from behind/below the defroster ducts behind left side of instrument cluster. Pitch doesn't change with speed. When I place my fingers back there, can't feel any vibration. Any ideas?

Montreal525
05-21-2006, 10:57 AM
Pobably the trim on the cowl panel, under the wipers. I have the same problem, I tied two small tie wraps to hold it down. Worked for a year now it's back. I'll take it out (it's 2 pieces) an put it back with more zip ties. It vibrates because at certain speeds the frequency and resonance makes it noisy. I found out it stops a t over 100 mph...:D

Jeff

Bill R.
05-21-2006, 12:37 PM
http://www.bimmernut.com/%7Ebillr/images/dashrattle1%20copy.jpg
1995 525i Auto has a loud rattle in dash. Rattle present from 75 mph to 110. Sounds like nylon/plastic gears stripping/slipping. Instrument cluster pulled and disconnected- not there (I'll never pull that again while driving). Noise seems to be coming from behind/below the defroster ducts behind left side of instrument cluster. Pitch doesn't change with speed. When I place my fingers back there, can't feel any vibration. Any ideas?

Rob Edwards
05-21-2006, 02:24 PM
Hilarious, I just developed the same rattle only at high speeds. It sounded like something in the center console of the dash, and I wasn't looking forward to tearing it apart again. Now I can wait until the eventual heater core replacement!.....

Thanks for the pic, Bill!

-Rob

liquidtiger720
05-21-2006, 03:46 PM
haha...I thought it was the windshield wiper itself....Good to know if it ever gets tooo noisy.