PDA

View Full Version : Honda's hydrogen fuel cell car, said to be

Bill R.
05-20-2006, 04:20 PM
4 years or so away... Looks pretty good to me.
I like the part about generating half of your homes electricity with it (http://world.honda.com/news/2006/4060108FCX/01.html)

TheEndIsNear
05-20-2006, 05:04 PM
Hmmmm...

Tiger
05-20-2006, 07:27 PM
That's pretty cool! Death to OPEC! hehehe

ThoreauHD
05-20-2006, 08:20 PM
It looks like a cell phone.

Macv
05-20-2006, 08:24 PM
I want the headlight color

F4Phantom
05-21-2006, 01:36 AM
This is worth a read. It gives very good reasons why a lot of the technologies are not capable of replacing petrol including fuel cells. My opinion is that electric could work but there is no real effort to make it happen. You know at one point the biggest car company in the US was the "electric car company of America" (from memory). was not the biggest for long tho.

Rustam
05-21-2006, 03:02 AM
This is worth a read. It gives very good reasons why a lot of the technologies are not capable of replacing petrol including fuel cells. My opinion is that electric could work but there is no real effort to make it happen. You know at one point the biggest car company in the US was the "electric car company of America" (from memory). was not the biggest for long tho.

I would be happy with fully electric car. My enthusiasm with sombustion engines that I had earlier in life is not as great. If an electric car would be capable of taking me 90mph top speed I would be content... This is not about gas mileage - I just find idea of electric cars appealing...

F4Phantom
05-21-2006, 04:14 AM
I would be happy with fully electric car. My enthusiasm with sombustion engines that I had earlier in life is not as great. If an electric car would be capable of taking me 90mph top speed I would be content... This is not about gas mileage - I just find idea of electric cars appealing...

The thing I like about electric is the amount of acceleration. In aust the legal limit for electric power on stuff like bikes and scooters is 200w. I got one of those pocket bikes and put an 11kw electric motor in it. It is a hell of a lot faster than my wrx and at one point I had 1:1 gearing + wheel diameter the motor was in overdrive. It accelerated like a machine to 120kph. I eventually geared it back to 80 kph top speed and raced it at a few official pocket bike events. We won every race and got kicked out after 3 races. Anyway the point is, electric is very fast acceleration if not so good at top speeds. So if you want to go over 100 - 150kph its not great. This is because max torque is at zero RPM. I am currently looking for a donor car to convert to a fast electric with a 50km range for the local area. I can jump in, rev the hell out of it off the line stone cold and keep the ICE's for work and airport runs etc...another e30 is currently under consideration. Tzero sell their motors and speed controllers for 25k US I heard. One guy in sydney put the kit in a 911, its now faster than its ever been! thats what i really want.

sKilled
05-21-2006, 04:32 AM
I'd be down with it - only thing id that the Honda looks the same from front and back, so one doesn't know if it's coming or going.
Another worry is long term costs/durability. Would you see these making it as long as (for example) the E34's?
I don't think most of us have the tools or the know how to repair anything beyond minor details on it.

onewhippedpuppy
05-21-2006, 05:58 AM
Interesting concept, makes more sense to me than ethanol as an alternative fuel. I would just about bet that Honda will sell them at a loss at first, can you imagine how much that system would have to cost to cover the R&D? Not to mention, at first everyone will need an at-home fueling station, because there's no infrastructure in place. If other manufacturers follow suit, eventually maybe we'll see hydrogen fueling stations, but not now. From an enthusiast point of view electric can offer awesome performance, because as F4 said, you get max torque instantly. Low Cg is a plus as well. Cool stuff.