PDA

View Full Version : 525i Toruing conversion to Autogas - pics

shogun
05-20-2006, 06:36 AM
http://www.525g.de/

genphreak
05-20-2006, 07:51 AM
http://www.525g.de/This is a nice conversion. Check out the tank in the spare tyre well. Neat as anything- they have it integrated very well indeed. The engine bay work may not be finished i the look sense of the word, (a lot of slack wiring around and no coverings to make it look smart) but I really like the layout. The Dash LED gauge looks out of palce though, and the console LCD is not integrted in keeping with the dash, but it has a lot of potential. Wish I could work out who made these setups... I'm considering changing my whole car to LPG, pulling the tank and never going back... (well perhaps).. hehe, but would want to do the bracketry and layout myself, just get a shop to hook it up and certify the conversion as is needed by law.

Morgenster
05-20-2006, 08:13 AM
This is a nice conversion. Check out the tank in the spare tyre well. Neat as anything- they have it integrated very well indeed. The engine bay work may not be finished i the look sense of the word, (a lot of slack wiring around and no coverings to make it look smart) but I really like the layout. The Dash LED gauge looks out of palce though, and the console LCD is not integrted in keeping with the dash, but it has a lot of potential. Wish I could work out who made these setups... I'm considering changing my whole car to LPG, pulling the tank and never going back... (well perhaps).. hehe, but would want to do the bracketry and layout myself, just get a shop to hook it up and certify the conversion as is needed by law.

Mine has LPG: Be sure your engine is fully tuned and your valves close neatly cuz backfires are a pain in the @$$ and can sometimes blow your intake manifold to pieces.
That's with the cheaper oldfashioned aspiration systems that is.
The new LPI sequential injection systems are a lot neater, safer and give you close to zero performance loss.
You'll never really be able to throw out your petroltank unless you go with a dedicated LPI injection system advanced enough to allow for cold starts.
Aspiration systems require some warming up before activation, otherwise they freeze and lock up.

genphreak
05-20-2006, 08:25 AM
Mine has LPG: Be sure your engine is fully tuned and your valves close neatly cuz backfires are a pain in the @$$ and can sometimes blow your intake manifold to pieces.
That's with the cheaper oldfashioned aspiration systems that is.
The new LPI sequential injection systems are a lot neater, safer and give you close to zero performance loss.
You'll never really be able to throw out your petroltank unless you go with a dedicated LPI injection system advanced enough to allow for cold starts.
Aspiration systems require some warming up before activation, otherwise they freeze and lock up.Thanks Morgenster. welcome aboard btw. Which motor do you have? Which car? Your profile says zip. Sounds like sequential is the way to go then, but I have yet to do the background work yet. Lots of peeps do this in Oz, but sequential is rare still. :( I hope that minus the petrol tank I will be able to shift some weight forward and still get the tyre in somehow. But heh, maybe I could just fit an e39/X3 space saver in there instead... who knows. It's got me thinking tho...

Morgenster
05-20-2006, 09:18 AM
Thanks Morgenster. welcome aboard btw. Which motor do you have? Which car? Your profile says zip. Sounds like sequential is the way to go then, but I have yet to do the background work yet. Lots of peeps do this in Oz, but sequential is rare still. :( I hope that minus the petrol tank I will be able to shift some weight forward and still get the tyre in somehow. But heh, maybe I could just fit an e39/X3 space saver in there instead... who knows. It's got me thinking tho...

Oops, updated now.
My 520i has an M50 engine with LPG aspiration system and the tank is mounted in the spare wheel well.
It's a fairly simple system and not super efficient, but it works fine and saves me a lot of cash (about 150 euro monthly).

I tried looking it up, but since LPG is mostly Dutch and Belgian it's not so easy to find a thorough site in English. The Brits are catching on though:

http://www.centralgaragecarcroft.co.uk/lpg.htm

That should give you a place to start :D.
Thanks for the welcome!

shogun
05-20-2006, 09:58 AM
How about an E32 750 V12 with LPG for you? ;-)
http://www.go-lpg.co.uk/BMWV12.html