PDA

View Full Version : e39 dimming mirror - how hard to add on?

wmann
05-19-2006, 08:08 PM
I bought a self dimming e39 mirror for my wifes e39 525it (2001). I made sure to buy one that had the alarm light below the mirror like the manual dimmer that she has now.

The car was in for service at the dealer today and she asked them to swap it in for her. They told her the headliner would need to come out and the car needed to be rewired. A 2 hour job!

We told them forget it, but has anyone done this and is it anywhere near this big a deal? I would have though a plug and play swap....

Any info would be appreciated! Bill Mann

wmann
05-20-2006, 04:59 PM
Anybody done this? Bill

I bought a self dimming e39 mirror for my wifes e39 525it (2001). I made sure to buy one that had the alarm light below the mirror like the manual dimmer that she has now.

The car was in for service at the dealer today and she asked them to swap it in for her. They told her the headliner would need to come out and the car needed to be rewired. A 2 hour job!

We told them forget it, but has anyone done this and is it anywhere near this big a deal? I would have though a plug and play swap....

peterllo
05-23-2006, 12:07 PM
Strange but possible I guess. Maybe BMW, to cut costs, no longer runs the wiring harness up there.

I installed in my E34, the rear view out of a 740. The job was simple. Twist off the old mirror. Pull the sun roof motor access panel, i.e. the interior lights. Locate the wiring harness, mine was tucked up under the s/r harness on the right, others have reported in the forums it being on the left and in other various places. From inside the access port cut a notch in the front of the headliner, (the headliner was marked). Run the wiring harness through, mine had a rubber boot to fit around the hole. Lengthen/shorten the harness to enable the boot to snug up to the new mirror. Plug the harness into the mirror and screw the mirror back onto its mounting plate on the glass, simple 30 min. procedure. Hope it applies.:)

VentoGT
05-24-2006, 10:38 AM
I wouldn't mess with an auto-dimming mirror--just something that can break that is completely unnecessary--my 2002 M3 has had 2 Auto dimming rearviews fail and at night the lights kill you. I would rather reach my arm up and twist the knob--it's like opening a door--we don't need an automatic driver's door opener when we want to get out of the car, so why bother? Just my opinion based on experience...