PDA

View Full Version : Fridge in rear armrest

Robin-535im
05-19-2006, 12:16 PM
Got my hands on a "BMW Optional Accessories" booklet circa 1992.

One of the coolest (!) options in there, apart from the moonroof and spare tire bucket, was a refrigerator that fit in the center rear armrest compartment. Came with a compressor and everything. Anyone ever seen one of these / have one?

ryan roopnarine
05-19-2006, 01:26 PM
i guess you never saw/forgot the pile on on me about this issue two years ago.

que people saying: "lotsa e24s had them"

I accidentally ran into this item about 2 years ago, and i'm absolutely smitten with the idea. i don't indulge in the marijuana, but i was awestruck by the presence of an ACTUAL WORKING FRIDGE LIGHT that goes on and off when you open/close the door. my understanding is that you plumb into the a/c lines, i don't recall another compressor being on the engine belt train to operate the unit. if they were cheaper.......

you can find them on german ebay for between $300-$400 USD plus shipping. make it ~$150 or so, and i'd have bought one by now.

shogun
05-19-2006, 07:28 PM
Here is one for sale in Germany. But I guess you have no chance, the guys from the German E32 7-forum are already getting ready to pull the wallet out. Very rare. Maker is WAECO. 2 years ago WAECO offered on German Ebay 4 sets they found in the farest corner of their warehouse, produced years ago but never used. They went for around 300-350 EURO in average, demand was too high.
http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8065982057&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT&rd=1
Here more pics on Herbie's car installed
http://people.freenet.de/Herbie01/

SchnellE34
05-19-2006, 07:34 PM
Now that is class...

Robin-535im
05-19-2006, 09:23 PM
That's even cooler than I thought. Talk about class...

diamond777
05-19-2006, 10:01 PM
hey gang i have to say that i have that option on my e-34 91 535i it is a compressor unit all in one in the center armrest.looks cool and has a variable coldness switch.:D

Ross
05-19-2006, 10:04 PM

One of the coolest (!) options in there, apart from the moonroof and spare tire bucket, was a refrigerator that fit in the center rear armrest compartment. Came with a compressor and everything. Anyone ever seen one of these / have one?
Neat idea but pretty impractical unless you plan on running the engine 24/7. Talk about needless complication!They didn't sell when new for good reason. Alas as the cars become older and cherished only by enthusiasts the oddball stuff becomes desireable and expensive. Just like restored American cars of the fifties usually sport every accessory known,even though they were seldom equiped that way when new.
If you really want refrigeration,one of those thermo-electric units that come in the portable 'fridges would be simple enough to rig up.

angrypancake
05-19-2006, 10:47 PM
hey gang i have to say that i have that option on my e-34 91 535i it is a compressor unit all in one in the center armrest.looks cool and has a variable coldness switch.:D

pics or ban.

angrypancake
05-19-2006, 10:48 PM

were there any additional "body kit" options? rear wing, front/rear valences, etc, besides M-tech?

ThoreauHD
05-20-2006, 12:45 AM
I don't know. I guess if it's dead space there anyway, might as well put a fridge in there. I think it takes it a step towards rolls royce's line, or modern limo's. I don't think passengers would mind a armrest full of cold beer/wine. Would make the time go by alot quicker.

shanek
05-20-2006, 01:58 AM
The other body kit in the accessories book is the "aerodynamics package" which I have on my car minus the rear spoiler.

BigKriss
05-20-2006, 03:01 AM
whats mary jane got to do with the fridge though?

i don't indulge in the marijuana, but i was awestruck by the presence of an ACTUAL WORKING FRIDGE LIGHT that goes on and off when you open/close the door. my understanding is that you plumb into the a/c lines, i don't recall another compressor being on the engine belt train to operate the unit. if they were cheaper.......