PDA

View Full Version : transmission blew

nariusb
05-18-2006, 04:53 PM
Hello everyone. I was just starting my trip and my auto transmission gave out. I heard a loud thump sound and now I have no forward at any speed. I used reverse to get back home. What Are my best options right now, rebuild, used, new??? Thanks for your input in advance. Or maybee it's a fix situation.
I have 1989 525i with m20 and 4hp-22 transmission.

Rustam
05-18-2006, 05:51 PM
Hello everyone. I was just starting my trip and my auto transmission gave out. I heard a loud thump sound and now I have no forward at any speed. I used reverse to get back home. What Are my best options right now, rebuild, used, new??? Thanks for your input in advance. Or maybee it's a fix situation.
I have 1989 525i with m20 and 4hp-22 transmission.

Someone will probably ask you to fill out your profile with information on mileage...

BillionPa
05-18-2006, 05:57 PM
if reverse works its not the electrohydraulic clutch or the torque converter, probably the forward planetary gear shaft, which is one single part.

i would try to rebuild it before anything else.

nariusb
05-18-2006, 06:21 PM
if reverse works its not the electrohydraulic clutch or the torque converter, probably the forward planetary gear shaft, which is one single part.

i would try to rebuild it before anything else.

Just to mention millage is 124k. When/if I replace planetary gear shaft, what else should be done? The compleat rebuild is very expensive here in Ontario, Canada? Maybee someone can suggest a good shop?

BillionPa
05-18-2006, 06:22 PM
go for seals and clutch plates, as well as new filter.

BillionPa
05-18-2006, 06:30 PM
well... i should mention that i have never seen the inside of your tranny.

It could also be the forward gear band, or even one of the gearsets.

if its the band that snapped, easy fix.

if its a gearset, new tranny.

632 Regal
05-18-2006, 06:40 PM
new good used trans, saves bux and then you have the time to get the old one inspected and repaired, either save it as a spare or sell it.

Rustam
05-19-2006, 01:13 AM
Just to mention millage is 124k. When/if I replace planetary gear shaft, what else should be done? The compleat rebuild is very expensive here in Ontario, Canada? Maybee someone can suggest a good shop?

I got my 4hp22 transmission brand new from Autosport Unlimited - $1400US in Chicago. I was told by my mechanic that this was cheap price.

Please send me a private message for the phone number if you care to call them...

VentoGT
05-19-2006, 10:30 AM
Put in a 5 speed :)

Denasti
05-20-2006, 07:05 AM
I got a used tranny from www.car-part.com and the shop was out of Fortworth, Tx. It only set me back $425 US total and has a 90 day guarantee.

If you go used then you may want to ask what else you will need, like mounts or something that may break like exhaust nuts. I am not sure untill I do mine.