PDA

View Full Version : Starter problem? Best place to buy?

OlegŠ
03-27-2004, 01:11 AM
The car wouldnt start but makes a relay ticking-clicking noise, battery seems to give 14 Volts, I bet it is starter...

What is the best place to buy maybe besides BMA for fastest delivery to NY?

ryan roopnarine
03-27-2004, 06:29 AM
put off by used....you can get one in NY for about 50$, and always get your old one rebuilt for about the same (if you go to the right dingy-@ss, no nonsense place) from das car-part.com.

The car wouldnt start but makes a relay ticking-clicking noise, battery seems to give 14 Volts, I bet it is starter...

What is the best place to buy maybe besides BMA for fastest delivery to NY?

Tiger
03-27-2004, 10:17 AM
If you can get near the starter with a hammer... give it a whack before starting to see if car cranks...

What kind of battery gives out 14V? I have never seen a car battery put out 14V without the car running... 12.6 is about fully charged standing battery.

632 Regal
03-27-2004, 12:15 PM
they do make batteries that kick 14 volts but thats for dragracing. they are gell batteries, you need a special (expensive) charger to fill em back up too. Reason being for racing you can do a run without an alternator to save your valuable .25hp on your 1200hp engine. still doesnt make sence to me unless you dont have the room for an alternator.

OlegŠ
03-27-2004, 01:07 PM
Must be the error of voltmeter reading or something, can I short out the solenoid to crack the engine?

Tiger
03-27-2004, 01:39 PM
You can use the remote starter trigger to see what's wrong with your starter... When hitting with a hammer on the starter, it sort of like shaking your starter and hopefully gets the brushes to contact and makes the starter spins.

The Clicking sound is the sound of the selenoid activating... so the selenoid is fine... here is the simple dianostic sound...

Clicking but no whirling sound... weak battery or bad starter

Whirling spinning sound but no engine spinning is bad selenoid.

Hook up another car using jumper cable to see if it is not the battery problem.

Tiger
03-27-2004, 01:43 PM
What are the probability of Oleg having this battery? Not likely. With a 14V battery, you would need a 16V charger to bring it up. Racing would use deep cycle battery especially if no alternator... good for a race I guess. I would say it is good for drag racing or some race very short time. But not good for a long race like Nascar, Indy, etc. Otherwise cars would die before race ends... all the sparks for ignition system draws it from battery if no alternator.