PDA

View Full Version : Sword repair

Anthony (M5 in Calgary)
05-18-2006, 01:12 PM
Just fixed the sword (fan control) on my dad's '90 535. Selected a far more robust MOSFET from International Rectifier: IRF1310N - Digi Key stock at about $2 each.

Also installed a 40V TVS diode from my parts bin across the FETs to protect them from surges - likely what kills them in the first place.

On re-assembly it still didn't work. The problem was the comparator (8 pin chip near the relay). Used an ST LM2903N.

All good. $9 and a bit of time vs paying through the nose.:)

Rustam
05-18-2006, 06:32 PM
Just fixed the sword (fan control) on my dad's '90 535. Selected a far more robust MOSFET from International Rectifier: IRF1310N - Digi Key stock at about $2 each.

Also installed a 40V TVS diode from my parts bin across the FETs to protect them from surges - likely what kills them in the first place.

On re-assembly it still didn't work. The problem was the comparator (8 pin chip near the relay). Used an ST LM2903N.

All good. $9 and a bit of time vs paying through the nose.:)

good information...
do you have pics?
do you care to add this to my website under your full copyright?

Anthony (M5 in Calgary)
05-20-2006, 09:40 PM
good information...
do you have pics?
do you care to add this to my website under your full copyright?

Pix locked in my PC due to internet problems (posting from alternate service, no photos...). Info shared for all - copyright? Sure.

Rustam
05-20-2006, 09:43 PM
Pix locked in my PC due to internet problems (posting from alternate service, no photos...). Info shared for all - copyright? Sure.

As soon as you get the pictures and appropriate comments please direct them to me.
Info shared for all.
Copyright proclaimed on top of the page with big letterhead...