PDA

View Full Version : Rear Sunshade

Scott H
05-17-2006, 05:17 PM
not an option on US cars, but I just stuck one in the M5...

I had always wanted to throw one of these on my old 89 535 sedan. Now
that I have the blk/blk M5, I have more of a need to keep the sun from
beating directly on the seat backs. Non-US parcel shelves do not have
the 3rd brake light molded in the package tray, so I had to scavenge
the sunshade from a Euro shelf and cut the opening in my parcel shelf.
The thing needed to be recovered to begin with, so I went to town. $75
to have the shelf covered in a nice material that was a bit thicker
than stock material. There is one area that did not turn out perfect,
but overall I cannot complain. Although the original material was
anthracite, I figured that would only fade again. Since my black
interior is an early build, my carpet, headliner, a-b-c pillars are
actually gray. I went for the match with this fabric color choice.

http://www.hersted.org/M5%20sunshade/

liquidtiger720
05-17-2006, 05:24 PM
Very Gosh Darn NICE.

Bill R.
05-17-2006, 05:25 PM
power shade?

not an option on US cars, but I just stuck one in the M5...

I had always wanted to throw one of these on my old 89 535 sedan. Now
that I have the blk/blk M5, I have more of a need to keep the sun from
beating directly on the seat backs. Non-US parcel shelves do not have
the 3rd brake light molded in the package tray, so I had to scavenge
the sunshade from a Euro shelf and cut the opening in my parcel shelf.
The thing needed to be recovered to begin with, so I went to town. $75
to have the shelf covered in a nice material that was a bit thicker
than stock material. There is one area that did not turn out perfect,
but overall I cannot complain. Although the original material was
anthracite, I figured that would only fade again. Since my black
interior is an early build, my carpet, headliner, a-b-c pillars are
actually gray. I went for the match with this fabric color choice.

http://www.hersted.org/M5%20sunshade/

Scott H
05-17-2006, 05:29 PM
I guess it's a cheap M5 :)

Didn't want to hassle with that one yet....baby steps. Plus, with the manual shade the car only weighs 3,802 lbs instead of 3,808 as it would if I located an electric one.

power shade?

Bill R.
05-17-2006, 05:32 PM
..:)

Didn't want to hassle with that one yet....baby steps. Plus, with the manual shade the car only weighs 3,802 lbs instead of 3,808 as it would if I located an electric one.

Scott H
05-17-2006, 05:39 PM
I have the euro shelf sitting around still which was a suitable template for the cutout I needed to make....

..:)

Kalevera
05-17-2006, 07:52 PM
Hah! I was about to ask the same question as Bill did. Seems like most euro cars have the rear manual shade. Apparently, though, the hot item to find is the rear passenger window shades. I've mucked with them on a few cars and they're a bit of a pain, as they're fastened in place with unique (and small) speed nuts that tend to fall out and disappear. Those stitched all leather door panels are pretty awesome, though -- no more shrinking vinyl, either. I highly recommend.

I gave up trying to mod the E32 rear power shade last fall. Too much of a hassle. Then my handiwork got sold to a coupla local kids on my day off (hahaha). Still hunting around for that perfect E34 unit. Even kept my old parcel shelf to cut for when I do find the shade (notice how early vs late cars use different backing material?). I did run the harness, though. So once I find that sucker, we'll be all set to go.

What kind of fasteners did you use? Glue on the original screws or ?

Slick.

best, whit

Scott H
05-17-2006, 08:39 PM
there aren't really any. The shade box clips in to the opening and then the trim pieces tidy up the ends. It took a few tries to get the opening right as I did not want to open it up so much that the shade fit loosly. Once the fabric was on I had to open it up a bit more to allow room for the thicker fabric to fit snugly under the frame for the shade.

I used to be interested in those rear door shades as well, but if one breaks, it becomes exponentially more difficult to find/fix.....I figure the next best alternative is this, which I plan to do to the M5 at some point. It's uber sharp.

http://www.huperoptikusa.com/products_ceramic.cfm

Hah! I was about to ask the same question as Bill did. Seems like most euro cars have the rear manual shade. Apparently, though, the hot item to find is the rear passenger window shades. I've mucked with them on a few cars and they're a bit of a pain, as they're fastened in place with unique (and small) speed nuts that tend to fall out and disappear. Those stitched all leather door panels are pretty awesome, though -- no more shrinking vinyl, either. I highly recommend.

I gave up trying to mod the E32 rear power shade last fall. Too much of a hassle. Then my handiwork got sold to a coupla local kids on my day off (hahaha). Still hunting around for that perfect E34 unit. Even kept my old parcel shelf to cut for when I do find the shade (notice how early vs late cars use different backing material?). I did run the harness, though. So once I find that sucker, we'll be all set to go.

What kind of fasteners did you use? Glue on the original screws or ?

Slick.

best, whit

bimmerd00d
05-17-2006, 08:49 PM
Glad i could help.

Scott H
05-17-2006, 09:28 PM
1) you told me the shelf was US AND that it was black. neither turned out to be true.

2) the Nak CD-400 I bought from you is not working properly

thanks for the help

Glad i could help.

632 Regal
05-17-2006, 09:34 PM
HAHAHAHA... friends will be friends.

1) you told me the shelf was US AND that it was black. neither turned out to be true.

2) the Nak CD-400 I bought from you is not working properly

thanks for the help

wingman
05-17-2006, 09:37 PM
I love my rear sunshade but they don't look real good when they sag (I've seen some saggers in photos). According to realoem they are no longer available.

Paul in NZ
05-18-2006, 04:22 AM
having a blk blk car i have often thought about it myself....going to the junkyard tomorrow!

Elekta
05-18-2006, 06:46 AM

Didn't want to hassle with that one yet....baby steps. Plus, with the manual shade the car only weighs 3,802 lbs instead of 3,808 as it would if I located an electric one. :D

You and my franken c builder are two peas in a pod.

on a side note...

Scott, I bought the M5 side shades for the rear pass/kids for my tourer, but as yet haven't installed them. My rear headliner has almost completely failed (where the speakers are). I was thinking of re covering it in gray vinyl (as opposed to the fabric) as it was the labrador's wet hide from aqua fetching that failed it.

My headliner is slowly giving way everywhere, first it was under the visors, now the areas next to the sunroof. I super 7'd it back under the visors, but that really only lasts about 6 months. My tourer is beginning to get hacky on the inside and the list is growing all the while I need to do a valve body replacement before I can let the wife drive the car (as she would be prone to jamming on the accel in the event of a tranny slip where I would lift) as she would surely do the tranny in...maybe even for spite.

She just got her silver XC90 and I just drove home my new lil mule from Boise last weekend (what a peaceful 1800 miles that was)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/ggil-tx/madeit.jpg

So now we have 4 cars, and her 535iA is up for sale real soon. I am out of garage space for 3.5 swap and certainly the time (and skill set). She is not going to like the offers she's gonna get because of all the dings and swirls, but someone is going to get a beautifully maintained bulletproof 3.5 with a measely 117k on the clock.

You think I should just pull the engine/ guts and speedo out for the future and firesale the rest? I suppose I could pay her the $2500 she's gonna get offered (she's thinkin $4500)

or should I wait for a cheap sub $8k e34M5 with black interior donor car???

top o the mornin to yall
spent the night in Utah and I came up in the hills
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/ggil-tx/DSCN3702.jpg

Scott H
05-18-2006, 07:16 AM
I would wait for the S38 engine and driveline to come along.....make it worth your while.

There are two main reasons why I did the M30. 1) I had it available from a wrecked 535 5-spd and 2) Everyone always said that BMW should have done it that way from the factory.

If my 535 was perfectly fine to sell and get a few bucks for, I would have sold it. Instead, the insurance company gave me money and I got to keep the pieces. :D It was just one of those situations where a mess turned out just right.

You think I should just pull the engine/ guts and speedo out for the future and firesale the rest? I suppose I could pay her the $2500 she's gonna get offered (she's thinkin $4500)

or should I wait for a cheap sub $8k e34M5 with black interior donor car???

top o the mornin to yall
spent the night in Utah and I came up in the hills

Elekta
05-18-2006, 08:59 AM
I would wait for the S38 engine and driveline to come along.....make it worth your while.

There are two main reasons why I did the M30. 1) I had it available from a wrecked 535 5-spd and 2) Everyone always said that BMW should have done it that way from the factory.

If my 535 was perfectly fine to sell and get a few bucks for, I would have sold it. Instead, the insurance company gave me money and I got to keep the pieces. :D It was just one of those situations where a mess turned out just right.

sounds about right.

I will have some pics of the 535iA later this week when it's ready for sale.

Jon K
05-18-2006, 09:32 AM
Scott is that sunshade to keep your bald head from burning when you're in the backseat with your boyfriend? That's the gayest thing evar.

:)

Bill R.
05-18-2006, 09:43 AM
#1 gay mans fabric choice in his car? Suede..... my mistake they call that alcantara now don't they :)

Scott is that sunshade to keep your bald head from burning when you're in the backseat with your boyfriend? That's the gayest thing evar.

:)

Jon K
05-18-2006, 11:08 AM
#1 gay mans fabric choice in his car? Suede..... my mistake they call that alcantara now don't they :)

Haha oooh low blow bill!

Haha scott and i are buds he knows im joshing him.

but he knows its true too...