PDA

View Full Version : mirror paint+body paint=no match

LAXman2205
05-16-2006, 08:10 PM
Ok so the color of my car is a bright red and my mirror's paint color is a more lighter red than the rest of the car. Is this a mistake by bmw or is it supposed to be like this? Everytime i wash and wax my car I notice this disturbing fact about the two different color reds.....just got bored and was always wondering about this odd color. Anyone?

AllGo'n'Show
05-16-2006, 11:59 PM
Probably more the issue of body is metal and mirror is plastic, therefor not ageing correctly and have faded differently.

Buff, Wax, Polish, Re-Clear coat.

632 Regal
05-17-2006, 12:17 AM
or replacement mirrors or more possibly an upgrade with a similar color.

Probably more the issue of body is metal and mirror is plastic, therefor not ageing correctly and have faded differently.

Buff, Wax, Polish, Re-Clear coat.

Omega
05-17-2006, 07:00 AM
You will find this effect on loads of red cars for some reason. The plastic parts and metal parts nearly always appear to be different.

I have even watched a panel and bumper be painted with red paint from the same can and when dry the bumper looked to be a different shade.

Buffing and re-waxing could help but I do think that it's a "red thing" and I remember that BMW red from the 80's nearly always went pink after a while in the sun. You could be seeing the same effect on your mirrors.

neil_004
05-17-2006, 07:22 AM
My car is the same color with the same issue. My mirrors are original. When I got the car they were basically pink. Took a couple applications of 3M paint restorer to get them close to red again.

califblue
05-17-2006, 09:59 AM
same problem here...just need to wax them more often

or you could buy the mirror covers from Bav Auto

http://www.bavauto.com//assets/product_images/prod/colganmirrorbra.jpg