PDA

View Full Version : Help Tranny Problem

clhorton
05-16-2006, 02:21 PM
I just got my new 4hp22 in my car and it was running fine. I have a major leak though. It appears to be coming from somewhere around the rear of the tranny and is leaking all down the bottom of the car. So I can assume that it is coming somewhere from the top of the tranny, but I can't be 100% sure of that. What do you guys think. I am so close to having her back on the road, but I just have to get this solved. I also have checked the cooling lines and there is no leakage from around them. Are there any "small" things it could be that I possibly forgot? Thanks in advance.

Alexlind123
05-16-2006, 04:33 PM
Im almost sure it is either the selector shaft seal or the electrical connector right near it. You will probably want to remove the exhaust and lower the transmission a few inches with a jack. I was replacing my expansion tank at the same time, so i removed that and the fan shroud and fan while tilting the engine a tranny back a few degrees. You might not need to remove those things up by the engine, but i tend to be careful about such things.

I took some pictures and i was planing to make a writeup, but i lost all but this one:

http://servo.postverket.us/alex/tranny!.jpg

Kalevera
05-16-2006, 08:26 PM
Hi Corey,

You can still email me that picture if you want, but I'm relatively certain I know what happened. How was the tranny topped off with fluid? The 4hp-22 is rather sensitive to fluid level -- too much and it tends to blow it out the dipstick or (as I think in this case) out the vent. Get the car warm and on a level surface. Pull the dipstick with the car running and the trans in park, check the level and adjust as necessary.

Remember that your trans shipped nearly full of fluid -- don't know how much, if any, leaked out on its way to you, but it should've needed very little to get things good and going.

best, whit

shogun
05-16-2006, 08:34 PM
I also assume it was overfilled and then it blows out the vent hole.
It sometimes also then drops on the exhaust (depending on model/engine type) and you will see a 'nice' smoke coming from under your car while driving.
In case of older transmissions the leak is usually the sealing at the front shaft between engine and trans or the rear shaft.
I have changed both, front and rear shaft seals on my 750.

clhorton
05-17-2006, 06:50 PM
Well I tried taking out some of the fluid and making sure it is at the correct level and it seemed to run fine, but today on my way home I got the tranny program error. Any ideas guys?

clhorton
05-17-2006, 11:22 PM
bump

632 Regal
05-17-2006, 11:31 PM
low fluid now? theres a certain way and temp to check it, if your off the level will be off. Did you change the filter too? What fluid you use? How many miles on the trans? Whats is history?

bump

clhorton
05-18-2006, 12:27 AM
Well tranny is practically new I bought it from lowell I think he said it only has around 8000 miles on it. I topped off the fluid, but think I may have added too much that is what I thought was spilling out but apparently it was leaking.

clhorton
05-18-2006, 05:23 AM
bump

clhorton
05-18-2006, 12:34 PM
bump

Kalevera
05-18-2006, 03:48 PM
Corey, need to know that the tranny isn't leaking anything and that the fluid level is correct. Once those items are checked, we'll have to confirm that the thing still drives (does it dump directly into transprogram?) After we've covered those two things, we need to figure out if it's still dropping into failsafe mode. If it does, we need to get the error code(s).

Best, whit