PDA

View Full Version : Whissle while I drive

ericbendler
03-26-2004, 04:48 PM
I have a high pitched sound coming from (I think) the fuel rail when I hit the throttle. It does not seem apparent when the car is idling. I am the proud owner of a 1991 BMW e34. THanks for any help that you can give me. I've put a lot of work into it and hope that someone can help me :(

632 Regal
03-26-2004, 10:07 PM
I whistle while I work...

do you think its possible to be a wheel bearing or no chance of that in all?

ericbendler
04-03-2004, 05:15 PM
I hear it coming from the fuel rail. If it was the wheel bearing I didn't think it would make the sound when I was parked. It does, and there is no wobble in the steering. THANKS for the reply though!!

632 Regal
04-03-2004, 06:34 PM
since its obviously not a bad wheelbearing (one too many sodas here) did you check everything connected with the air intake system and make sure nothings loose? Is there any other symptoms besides the sound? If not maybe you need to close the hood and forget it.

:D

Javier
04-03-2004, 06:40 PM
and stick your head under the hood to identify where the whissle is comming from!!

BigD
04-03-2004, 08:52 PM
How is the engine running? Could be a vacuum leak.

I have a high pitched sound coming from (I think) the fuel rail when I hit the throttle. It does not seem apparent when the car is idling. I am the proud owner of a 1991 BMW e34. THanks for any help that you can give me. I've put a lot of work into it and hope that someone can help me :(

ericbendler
04-04-2004, 02:27 PM
There is a little hesitation. I will check on the intake and look for a leak./

ericbendler
05-22-2004, 05:08 PM
What vacum are you refering too. I have had a couple of other guys who said that it sounds like a vacum leak, but I don't know which vacums are being refered too. THANKS FOR THE HELP!!!!

Brian C.
05-22-2004, 06:06 PM
....seven little guys under the hood!

http://students.washington.edu/hhtlle/postcards/snowwhite/DwarfsWatchHelplesslyAsTheWitchPlummetFromTheCliff .gif

They often whistle while they work!

Brian C.
hi-ho, hi-ho...
;)

George M
05-22-2004, 06:16 PM
Hey Brian...you miss your Bimmer? Gonna get into another one at some point?
Hope all is well,
George

Brian C.
05-22-2004, 08:34 PM
Yeah, I miss the bimmer, but I'm surprized how much I enjoy the PT Cruiser. I've just got to get used to(still)being in such a light vehicle compared to the E34. About 3200lbs. That and sitting "up high" is a bit weird. It's like driving from a bar stool. But no drinks.

Lots of plusses....it uses regular, and the cheapest gas. It's very easy to get in and out of the front and rear seats. That helps a lot with my parents. There is TONS of storage space, and if I want I can completely remove the rear seats to get a totally carpeted, flat cargo area. Hhmmm, maybe a sleeping bag or two??? All sorts of hooks for bunjees in the rear. And it moves pretty good too. A bit of "turbo-lag", but I guess that's inherent in that kind of beast. Otherwise it hauls booty. Probably won't top out over 100mph though. I'm only leasing it so I guess I won't do any "mods" to it unless I see that I may keep it after the lease is up. No flames. :p I'll have to post a photo when I get one.

It's certainly not a BMW when it comes to safety construction, but then, you get what you pay for. I should have looked into the side airbags when I was there, but it did'nt occur to me until a few weeks after I got it. You're an old airbag guy, it seems that they may become manditory soon. Not a bad idea. What do you think of them?

I'll see what life brings in the next 4-5 years. Maybe Jr will need some "college finance" money and let the M5 go cheap in a few years. :D

Brian C.
'04 PT Cruiser
'95 525ia...r.i.p.

George M
05-23-2004, 06:16 AM
yup...know what you mean Brian...just because it isn't a Bimmer, doesn't mean it can't be fun. I own a much lighter vehicle than your PT...one of the last Saturn SC2 5 speeds...S-series is no longer available...the car is great fun...very light and tossable and has no trouble keeping up with traffic with its little willing 4 valve engine. Because they made so many of them, a good low miles engine can be had for $500...lol...a far cry from what it costs to put a Bimmer back on the road with a blown engine. Reminds me of the crude if not primitive old British sports cars I owned in my youth only with more power, creature comforts and a bit more refined. The thing most noteable about Bimmers is not only how solid they are but their materials...the interior in particular is a very nice place to live. With gas prices going up which was expected long before this with Europe paying twice what we pay, this car just makes more sense for a daily commute.
Difference with me is, I like to wrench and own my cars...and if possible pay cash for them. I have really enjoyed working on this car and lightly modding it. As to airbags,
in fact just finished designing the roll-over roof bags for the new Hummer. They are difficult to design, expensive and add complexity to the vehicle but well worth it from a crash survivability standpoint. I know in your line of work you understand better than most that virtually everyone that is killed annually on the roads each year never expected it to happen to them or a family member...cars can't be made safe enough.
Glad to see you still are hanging around the board. Getting a deluge of rain in Michigan these days....Pistons lost the first game of playoffs to the Pacers last night after getting by the Nets and the Ryder Cup is coming to Detroit this summer at a club I have been fortunate enough to play a couple of times in my life...fabled Oakland Hill's south course, coined the Green Monster by the great Ben Hogan. The tour as you probably know is at Hogan's home course this week in Texas at the Colonial.
Cheers bro,
George
A pic of my Saturn interior with short shifter I installed this spring:
http://members.roadfly.com/georgemann/SaturnInteriorResize.jpg

jplacson
05-23-2004, 10:03 AM
How heavy were your E34s? My 520i weighs only 1400kgs (according to the manual anyway)... that's about the same weight as the PT Cruiser.