PDA

View Full Version : If it's not one thing, it's another.

Rob
05-16-2006, 12:51 AM
Hey all,

Okay I've just driven my car to work this morning after fixing the overheating problem this weekend. Needless to say she doesn't overheat at all. Very happy about that, really I am. :)

However, having said that she has given me a new problem now. Which I susspect is just meaning she needs new spark plugs. Want to check this out with you guys.

While I'm driving, she's fine. Put my foot down, she goes and does what she's asked to. It's when I come to a complete stop or take my foot completly off the gas and she slows right down to about 10ks or slower is when I get this problem. Actually it's only when I come to a colpete stop or just about that she gives more ****. You see if I push the gas pedal far down to pull off quickly, as you need to when crossing main roads, she hasitates, big time. If I had to push my foot all the way down she will stall and it will be a bitch to start again. When she does start again, I need to give her a bit of revs to get her to go, then when she's going, she's perfect.

It's only when I stop the car or slow right down. The way I bypassed this problem this morning was just by pressing the gas pedal a tiny bit, she'll give a slight heistation but will move along fine.

I susspect it's spark plugs. They were last changed two or more years ago.
Anyone else have a different opinion?

Also in the morning when she is cold, I have to press the gas pedal right down and bring it back up slowly while cranking her for her to start. A week or two ago she would start first time without touching the pedal. If the engine if warm, she's start just fine most of the times.

Anyone got some advice for me here?

Much appericated as always guys.

Thank you so much.

Robert. :)

P.S, Other then that, she was a dream to drive to work this morning. :D

genphreak
05-16-2006, 02:23 AM
Hey Rob,

You mustn't be so hard on her. Chicks can handle it at 16 but its old for a car... you've got to be less demanding! For a car she's old and most probably abused at some point...

It could be bad gas. Poor fuel means the computer has to learn that the octane rating is poor; it takes some time to adjust (probably after about half of the tank through she'll work it out, but by then you're only a couple of hundred km from filling the tank with hopefully good fuel. And the ECM may not be able to adjust enough if the fuel is really bad. A shogun reset may help in the short-term, but it may also delay the computer adjusting the mix closer to stoic too.

Perhaps the AFM is bad. Most likely there is an intake leak somewhere. See if pulling the oil cap off makes much difference at idle- it should run a bit rough when u pull it off and smooth out once you seal up the valve train again. :) Nick

Rob
05-16-2006, 02:34 AM
Hey Nick.

Lol, I try not to be so hard on her. She got me to work just fine. But last time going home from work I stopped at a stop street as soon as I stopped, she just stalled. Took a few tries to get her started again eventauly got it started and then when I revved her she was spluttering and not revving smoothly. But I've alwaysed filled up at the same garage, and she's never done this?

Don't think they changed their fuel?

Oh, how would I find out if there is a leak, and where to find it?

Thanks a lot Nick!

BigKriss
05-16-2006, 02:42 AM
have you changed the fuel filter recently?

Rob
05-16-2006, 02:45 AM
No I haven't. Meaning to do it next month. Why?

BigKriss
05-16-2006, 02:49 AM
yeah, it might be a bit blocked. Its not a hard job.

http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/maintenance/gen_maintenance/filters.htm

Rob
05-16-2006, 02:58 AM
Anyway to unblock it for now and replace it when I can or do I have to just replace it?

BigKriss
05-16-2006, 03:06 AM
I don't know how to unblock it, I would just replace it. I added you to my msn list, but you didn't accept the invite.

Rob
05-16-2006, 03:10 AM
Ah, okay. Will just replace it then.

Sorry I'm not on MSN that much. Will go on now and accept your invite as soon as I can.

Thanks, BigKriss. :)

Rob
05-16-2006, 03:14 AM
Okay added you as well. Don't see you online though.

BigKriss
05-16-2006, 03:16 AM
i'm here. i'm trying to type to you right now. Your name is Robert on msn. Just double click on my name and type some stuff.

BigKriss
05-16-2006, 03:26 AM
For some reason its not working :(

Rob
05-16-2006, 03:29 AM
Okay, speaking to you on there now, i think?

Rob
05-16-2006, 04:41 AM
Just went to go see if she'll start first time now. Turned the key, she started almost straight away - First time.

So maybe it is the fuel filter?

DaveVoorhis
05-16-2006, 06:12 AM
... Poor fuel means the computer has to learn that the octane rating is poor; it takes some time to adjust ...

A stock M20 engine & ECU has limited capacity for sensing -- AFM, intake air temp, coolant temp, crank position, open/closed throttle, spark, exhaust O2 on some, and that's it. Octane rating is generally determined with a knock sensor. The M20 doesn't have one.

Rob
05-16-2006, 06:55 AM
So you're saying it could be AFM or Fuel filter?

Also coolant low, engine oil low, brake linings, low beam, dip beam sensores. And a few more I'm sure. :)

Nick.Hay
05-16-2006, 06:55 AM
Could be plug leads too (unless someone has already suggested it)

My 535i is practically undrivable atm coz the damn thing runs on 5 cylinders!! We were unsure what the issue was, and finally tracked it down to a plug lead shorting onto the head.

Might be worth a look...

Rob
05-16-2006, 07:03 AM
Ya maybe. You see she doesn't always do it. Only some times, like 7 out of 10 times. She runs perfect aside from that though?

DaveVoorhis
05-18-2006, 06:25 PM
Also coolant low, engine oil low, brake linings, low beam, dip beam sensores. And a few more I'm sure. :)

Those are "check" sensors, intended for safety or reliability, and are independent of engine management. They do not affect how the engine runs. Similarly, ABS sensors do not affect how the engine runs.

632 Regal
05-18-2006, 06:38 PM
vacuum leak?

Rob
05-19-2006, 04:32 AM
I did a stomp test. I get error 1215. Air Sensor?

Where is this and I'm gonna try clean it..