PDA

View Full Version : Yeah so my supercharger ate a vacuum line today... :(

Jon K
05-16-2006, 12:27 AM
One of my charge pipes rubbed a hole in one of my brake lines out of my ABS unit (!) so i took my intake and charge pipes out today and reflared a new brake line etc - that's fixed, hurray. So rather than go pack it all back up and mess with the intake hose and charge pipes I just pop my stock NA intake boot on, maf, and start her up. Everything seems good so I take it up the driveway and down the road. Blower spools like normal than around 2500 it makes a funky noise - I instantly put the clutch in but not before it did its damage. It sucked my vacuum line for bypass valve, which was tucked away, into the inlet. I have driven the car like this a million times before, once for a month while I battled going to school and making charge pipes. Figures it was this one time that something happens Pretty upset about it, but its just a car part...

The damage is that the compressor wheel has a couple impeller fins chipped up and it looks like the wheel made contact with the housing (sigh). It looks like the wheel base (near the nut that holds it down) is missing a chunk, at around 3000 rpm it makes a bad noise... prob because its out of balance. So I contacted ASA in germany, along with Infinitas, trying to see if I can get a new compressor wheel for reasonably cheap. I am going to assume not since Infinitas charged me... $350+ship for my pulley alone. So what does this mean?

Turbo time.

Because I have FMIC coming wednesday, Bosch 30# injectors, my MS standalone, BOV and a BPV, like 10' of mandrel bent 2.5" piping, etc., I am only a couple items short for turbo. I am going to go with the SS Autochrome manifold for now and see how it holds up. I am going to take a different route than most people here. Since all my tuning is custom I might as well try something else out on the ol' M50... Going to rock a Holset H1E or HX35. Let's see what happens.

Bill R.
05-16-2006, 12:30 AM
engine?

One of my charge pipes rubbed a hole in one of my brake lines out of my ABS unit (!) so i took my intake and charge pipes out today and reflared a new brake line etc - that's fixed, hurray. So rather than go pack it all back up and mess with the intake hose and charge pipes I just pop my stock NA intake boot on, maf, and start her up. Everything seems good so I take it up the driveway and down the road. Blower spools like normal than around 2500 it makes a funky noise - I instantly put the clutch in but not before it did its damage. It sucked my vacuum line for bypass valve, which was tucked away, into the inlet. I have driven the car like this a million times before, once for a month while I battled going to school and making charge pipes. Figures it was this one time that something happens Pretty upset about it, but its just a car part...

The damage is that the compressor wheel has a couple impeller fins chipped up and it looks like the wheel made contact with the housing (sigh). It looks like the wheel base (near the nut that holds it down) is missing a chunk, at around 3000 rpm it makes a bad noise... prob because its out of balance. So I contacted ASA in germany, along with Infinitas, trying to see if I can get a new compressor wheel for reasonably cheap. I am going to assume not since Infinitas charged me... $350+ship for my pulley alone. So what does this mean?

Turbo time.

Because I have FMIC coming wednesday, Bosch 30# injectors, my MS standalone, BOV and a BPV, like 10' of mandrel bent 2.5" piping, etc., I am only a couple items short for turbo. I am going to go with the SS Autochrome manifold for now and see how it holds up. I am going to take a different route than most people here. Since all my tuning is custom I might as well try something else out on the ol' M50... Going to rock a Holset H1E or HX35. Let's see what happens.

Jon K
05-16-2006, 12:32 AM
No Bill - supercharger outlet was venting to atmosphere. The only manner in which it was hooked to car was via the belt and oil feed/return. The air portion of the unit was sucking in and spitting out, just for a quick brake test... engine was sucking NA via stock boot/maf/K&N

winfred
05-16-2006, 08:06 AM
it'll be interesting how a hx35 runs on a 2.5 motor as that's the same turbo on my truck, seen people list them in mods for m20s and m30s not sure what trim though, on a 5.9 diesel it starts to run off it's map at 32-35 psi and blow hot air but some run em past 40 (and blow things up from the heat )

Going to rock a Holset HX35. Let's see what happens.

bahnstormer
05-16-2006, 08:21 AM
thicker hg?

Jon K
05-16-2006, 09:30 AM
it'll be interesting how a hx35 runs on a 2.5 motor as that's the same turbo on my truck, seen people list them in mods for m20s and m30s not sure what trim though, on a 5.9 diesel it starts to run off it's map at 32-35 psi and blow hot air but some run em past 40 (and blow things up from the heat )

they seem to work good in the 15 psi arena on the M50 high revving motor. Winfred if you see any turbos in decent shape around please let me know.

winfred
05-16-2006, 11:36 AM
heres a hy35 i can't remember the difference between hy and hx, they came on automatic diesels and usually were gated a couple psi lower, theres usually something in the classifieds at tdr (http://www.turbodieselregister.com/cgi-bin/classifieds2/classifieds.cgi?session_key=&search_and_display_db_button=on&db_id=16558&query=retrieval)

they seem to work good in the 15 psi arena on the M50 high revving motor. Winfred if you see any turbos in decent shape around please let me know.

Jon K
05-16-2006, 11:42 AM
heres a hy35 i can't remember the difference between hy and hx, they came on automatic diesels and usually were gated a couple psi lower, theres usually something in the classifieds at tdr (http://www.turbodieselregister.com/cgi-bin/classifieds2/classifieds.cgi?session_key=&search_and_display_db_button=on&db_id=16558&query=retrieval)

Thanks winfred - I like that the Holset sell so cheap too. I am going to go external wastegate.

Booster
05-16-2006, 03:52 PM
Sweet Jon. Nothing like being pushed into a decision , is there ? lol:p
I've got a Garrett T/3-T/4 and a hybrid Borg Warner awaiting my M50 on the shelf. I bought one of the SSA stainless manifolds some time back to mock things up.
Have you fitted up your FMIC yet ?
.............V'

rob101
05-16-2006, 04:01 PM
I am going to go external wastegate.
hehe you should run a screamer pipe muhaha!

Jon K
05-16-2006, 06:16 PM
hehe you should run a screamer pipe muhaha!

I thought that went without saying - contemplating drilling a 1.5" hole in the right front fender....

How are the SS Autochrome manifolds? Can you get actual pics? I am considering that one! Does it feel substantial?

FMIC comes thursday, I don't know if I'll mount it - I probably will, but I have a while to wait before turbo.

jjdickm
05-16-2006, 06:56 PM
sorry to hear about that jon, is that a pretty efficient turbo your going to use? im supprised you aren't going with a garret ballbearing.

Jon K
05-16-2006, 07:04 PM
Its fairly efficient... i cant afford a GT series... I like turbo lag, I consider it traction control.

jjdickm
05-16-2006, 07:05 PM
good call are those turbos fairly cheap?

winfred
05-16-2006, 09:00 PM
that looks like a good deal after i went back and looked at the listing, $325 delivered, assuming it's not been abused 80k on a diesel is easy miles, they don't run near the exhaust temps that a gas motor runs, if you can see a picture of it and the intake side is not golden brown it's a steal (the intake side usually turns brown when towing hard, not a automatic indication that it's bad just that the truck was worked)

Thanks winfred - I like that the Holset sell so cheap too. I am going to go external wastegate.

Jon K
05-16-2006, 09:29 PM
Holsets are usually cheap yet are SUPER reliable. they can be had for around $300 on ebay all the time. Try not to bid war with me JJDickM, i need one lol.

jjdickm
05-16-2006, 09:45 PM
i won't im still going for the gt42r

TheEndIsNear
05-17-2006, 03:10 AM
So, what do you plan on doing with the remains of that supercharger...

Jon K
05-17-2006, 08:17 AM
So, what do you plan on doing with the remains of that supercharger...

Well yesterday I noticed that my T3/T4 turbo that is apart for a rebuild had a compressor wheel chilling on the table. I held that wheel up to the supercharger, and it looks like a dead fit. Not positive yet... I may be able to swap compressor wheels!

TheEndIsNear
05-18-2006, 06:57 PM
Oh, I was going to try to buy it off you... Need a new project and have a full machine shop at my fingertips... Welcome to aerospace metal finishing... MUHAHAHA

Jon K
05-18-2006, 10:07 PM
Oh, I was going to try to buy it off you... Need a new project and have a full machine shop at my fingertips... Welcome to aerospace metal finishing... MUHAHAHA

Confirmed that the T3 wheel does not fit. Hrm.