PDA

View Full Version : Replace radio/e34 compat? Vendor veracity?

Gene in NC
05-15-2006, 07:41 PM
Replacement radio/e34 compatability? Vendor veracity? Who is telling the truth? Claims sound like a mattress salesman.

Need a little guidance here. All I need is a replacement with integrated CD and CD RW that is simple enough for grandma to operate.

Best Buy claims any din1 size fits e34 din1 oem opening. Free install for $100+ HU. But, my Alpine CDE 9846 of choice has no compatable wiring adapter so 2 x $20 "plugs" plus 2 x $17.50/hour service units are required. That's free?

Crutchfield offers free shipping for $129+ and "free kits and adapters for most cars". However, Alpine CDE 9846 is not compatable with e34.

What the heck. I decided on Alpine after reading threads here. Posters, with a little help seemed to get installed w/o serious problems. The BMW three antenna situation seems iffy and maybe it is. Reception doesn't seem all that great with oem radio.

How can I find an independent installer, or can I do the job myself, which was my inclination after reading the site posts?

632 Regal
05-15-2006, 08:43 PM
this is the only vehicle in a hundred im not willing to mess with, keep us updasted

ThoreauHD
05-15-2006, 09:19 PM
I have the Alpine CDA-9856 with a 30 dollar converter/wiring harness. It took 5 minutes to install at crutchfield. I have the car listed above. I don't know what car you have.