PDA

View Full Version : Conscious I.V. Sedation

Alexlind123
05-15-2006, 12:36 AM
Conscious I.V. Sedation. Has anyone had it? What is it like?

Im getting three of my wisdom teeth removed on thursday morning and im going to be under this type of sedation. Im not really sure what to expect. I guess they will slice into the gums, break apart the teeth, and rip them out piece by piece.
I already had one removed, but it had come partially through the gum and it didnt require anything but gauze and vicoden for a day and a half.

Zeuk in Oz
05-15-2006, 03:13 AM

Im getting three of my wisdom teeth removed on thursday morning and im going to be under this type of sedation. Im not really sure what to expect. I guess they will slice into the gums, break apart the teeth, and rip them out piece by piece.
I already had one removed, but it had come partially through the gum and it didnt require anything but gauze and vicoden for a day and a half.
I had something similar for a gastroscopy (tube into stomach) some years ago. I had to be awake enough to swallow it.

Not sure what type of sedation it was but it was no big deal - back to normal quickly.

Gayle
05-15-2006, 07:20 AM
I have had it a couple of times. You mostly don't care what happens to you in that state. It is a massive "yeah whatever" experience. It is actually pleasant.

I had the same issue with my wisdom teeth being in facing forward instead of up. The one thing that bothered me about the procedure was the sound of my teeth being cracked into pieces. Since it is in your head it is really loud and you know that it is you breaking.

Follow the dentist's instructions carefully to avoid having the blood clot get dislodged. Dry sockets are nasty as in days of pain.

632 Regal
05-15-2006, 08:11 AM
I just had gas and some shots, mine were impacted so after 10 minutes of crunching and pulling and bleeding he got through the jawbone and was able to bust apart the teeth and remove them. I had all 4 done at the same time and lost 15lbs before I could eat again.

liquidtiger720
05-15-2006, 08:23 AM
I'm gonna have my wisdoms done without being put to sleep/in state of "uncaring".....im scared, but its a lot damn cheaper.

KenB
05-15-2006, 10:01 AM
I had one done a few months ago with just novacaine. The sound was sickening, but the tooth came right out without much of a fight. If your insurance pays for the dope, get it. Careful not to dislodge the plug, like Gayle said.

Bleeding_Knuckles
05-15-2006, 10:18 AM
spark plug?
I had one done a few months ago with just novacaine. The sound was sickening, but the tooth came right out without much of a fight. If your insurance pays for the dope, get it. Careful not to dislodge the plug, like Gayle said.

trumpetr
05-15-2006, 10:52 AM

Conc. IV sedation, usually involves an iv dose of a benzodiazapine, most often Versed (Midazolam)-- its like valium, however one of the beneficial side effects, is short term amnesia,,,in other words, you forget all of the time you were in the dentists chair, after you get the dose of Versed. Not a bad thing at all!!
It doesnt react with the lidocaine, or stay in your system long enough to interfere with the 'buttload' of narcotic pain medication you will need in the next few days after this procedure.

Its the way to go,,if you are having that much dental work done, at one time.

Jay 535i
05-15-2006, 02:07 PM
Unless there are issues, the teeth should come out in one piece. Only if things are a little wonky does the hammer come out. Either way, you'll be in la la land.

The amnesia thing is true. You won't remember anything, even though you were technically conscious.

Good luck!

jrobbo
05-15-2006, 02:51 PM
I had to have a gastro-endoscopy a few years back, and they used that on me, it was amazing stuff. One minute the anethesist is telling me this wll feel cold, the next minute the nurse is waking me up outside the operating room. It's like one split second had passed, and I can't remember any of it, though apparently I was awake and obeying orders from the doctor at the time. Amazing Stuff!

Regards

John

Alexlind123
05-15-2006, 05:44 PM
Im not worried about remembering it afterwards. What if someone spent 10 years in a vietnam POW camp, and then got zapped with something that made them forget it. Sure, they couldnt remember the camp but they still had to go through it...

Anyways, thanks for the responses, i wasnt expecting nearly this many! :) From what i could see of my x-rays last time i was at the dentist, the wisdom teeth arent all sideways or anything, they are just still under the gum. The reason they need to be taken out is that my orthodontist is afraid that they could move my other teeth around when they come in. If it werent for that, there might be other reasons too but they dont matter now anyways.

SC David
05-15-2006, 05:53 PM
When I broke my arm and it was dangling in an "S" like position, I was put under conscious sedation while they bent it back into place and stitched up the hole in the bottom where the bone popped through. I didn't remember a thing but entering the emergency room, then exiting in a wheelchair. That was a fun experience.