PDA

View Full Version : OT why wet cell batteries?

Russell
05-14-2006, 10:22 AM
Seems like new cars could be built to use multiple low cost modular dry cell batteries that would handle different circuits. For example one battery could handle starting sytem, another lighting, another electroncs, Etc. All could still be 12 volt. perhaps there could be a switchover in case of failure for once battery.

Are the wet cell companies like Johnson controls keeping the current wet cell use going? Perhaps the technology/cost/performace is just not there yet.

Any known research in this area. Just a thought.

winfred
05-14-2006, 06:00 PM
it will continue till they come up with a cost effective fuel cell to replace the battery and charging circuit, the tech *******s have been wanting a 42 volt electrical system for years and integrated starter/alternators, 12 volts is bad enough to lean on and get zapped, 42 outta knock you on your ass

632 Regal
05-14-2006, 06:25 PM
volts shock, amps kill...or something like that

Alexlind123
05-14-2006, 06:43 PM

I think thats how it is. Lotsa volts will burn you or cut you in half in extreme cases tho. The Amps stop your heart or something. I dont know really. Im hopeless when it come to elektrickity.

winfred
05-14-2006, 07:10 PM
i know, but after laying a sweaty arm across many a 12 volt battery and getting lit up i don't wanna try it at almost 4 times the voltage

jplacson
05-14-2006, 09:10 PM
Voltage will just shock you. Case and point, stun guns... 200,000++ volts... micro amps of current.

Current wet cell technology is a LOT cheaper than dry cell, rechargeable technology.

You get a LOT more amps per $ with wet cells than with dry cells.

Not to mention heat tolerance. Dry cell batteries hate temp changes. Wet cells are a bit more tolerant with temp changes.

fujioko
05-14-2006, 09:57 PM
The 42 Volt electrical is comming soon! You'll see it within five years.

winfred
05-14-2006, 10:43 PM
been seeing that statement for almost 10, i suspect that it will happen when the fuel cell thing is worked out till then ill hold my breath

The 42 Volt electrical is comming soon! You'll see it within five years.

joshua43214
05-14-2006, 10:53 PM
My pocket mig welder runs at 12 volts.

Lead acid batteries are just very efficient at being able to store energy both rapidly and slowly and are able to discharge at both a high rate and a low rate without adverse affects. They do all this accross a very wide range of temperatures and cost very little to manufacture. Until the long awaited breakthrough in battery technology comes along, you wont see anything besides lead acid batteries.

Paul in NZ
05-15-2006, 04:34 AM
we wil see the 42 volt system before the fuel cell thing.I predict that we will have cars with electric steering pumps electric oil pumps electric A/c compressors....

Russell
05-15-2006, 07:24 AM
Learning a bit here. Now I have a little bit better understanidng why wet cell batteries still have a place.

Even so, I suspect that we will soon see battery "breakthoughs" that changes battery use in vehicles and electronics in general. Thanks everyone.

winfred
05-15-2006, 07:45 AM
electric steering is old, been around for many years

we wil see the 42 volt system before the fuel cell thing.I predict that we will have cars with electric steering pumps electric oil pumps electric A/c compressors....

jplacson
05-16-2006, 09:33 AM
Actually, so are "electric A/C compressors"... I remember reading somewhere a while back that GM was experimenting with Peltier plates instead of heavy compressors. Electric systems are a lot more power efficient than their mechanical counterparts... on E34.net, there's even a procedure to replace the fan clutch with an electric aux fan... gives you .5hp more I think.

Bill R.
05-16-2006, 09:42 AM
prius since 2003, not experimenting...

Actually, so are "electric A/C compressors"... I remember reading somewhere a while back that GM was experimenting with Peltier plates instead of heavy compressors. Electric systems are a lot more power efficient than their mechanical counterparts... on E34.net, there's even a procedure to replace the fan clutch with an electric aux fan... gives you .5hp more I think.

Bill R.
05-16-2006, 09:47 AM
cost efficient enough yet. Toyota and hond are using nickel metal hydride batteries on the hybrid and the 12 volt battery used on the prius is a valve regulated lead acid glass mat battery that does not discharge any hydrogen gas while charging and discharging. The 98 camry and prius hybrids will use a lithium ion battery system that will increase the gas mileage to a claimed 93 mpg

Learning a bit here. Now I have a little bit better understanidng why wet cell batteries still have a place.

Even so, I suspect that we will soon see battery "breakthoughs" that changes battery use in vehicles and electronics in general. Thanks everyone.