PDA

View Full Version : A/C Condenser

t_marat
05-13-2006, 04:43 AM
I am thinking of buying a used condenser. Car from which it will be taken had a fire in the engine bay. It was quickly extinguished and did not spread to the other parts of the car. I will definitely pressure test the condenser before buying (it looks ok).
But can there be any long term failure due to the fire it had to sustain? It is slightly covered with black smoke (soot).

Rob
05-13-2006, 04:46 AM
If the pressure tests come through okay, and the casing of the A/C looks okay, no cracks or dents, then I'm sure it shouldn't be a problem. :)

BillionPa
05-14-2006, 12:58 AM
you can buy mine. no fire damage heh.

trumpetr
05-14-2006, 01:09 AM
You need to replace the drier, too,,since the system was opened up to the air.

Id say get new parts,,,,since that is the least of your expenses, if its just a condensor and drier, and O rings,,,,,,,,labor and replacing refrigerant is way $$$.

Kalevera
05-14-2006, 01:35 AM
You need to replace the drier, too,,since the system was opened up to the air.

Id say get new parts,,,,since that is the least of your expenses, if its just a condensor and drier, and O rings,,,,,,,,labor and replacing refrigerant is way $$$.
I agree. You can mess around with used parts all day long, but if a used condenser leaks, you're effectively throwing away money.

I tried this a few weeks ago. We got about four used E32/E34 condensers from a friend of mine. I popped one in the 535 and wasted about $40 worth of R134 before caving and just buying a new one. $145 for peace of mind and time savings sure beats throwing more dye and r134 (money) at others that potentially leak.

Another thing about condensers, and I'm sure others will have more to say on this, is that they're tricky to test. Simply putting a 15 minute vacuum on it might not show a leak that would take a day of use to reveal with dye.

best, whit

trumpetr
05-14-2006, 01:55 AM
I agree. You can mess around with used parts all day long, but if a used condenser leaks, you're effectively throwing away money.

I tried this a few weeks ago. We got about four used E32/E34 condensers from a friend of mine. I popped one in the 535 and wasted about $40 worth of R134 before caving and just buying a new one. $145 for peace of mind and time savings sure beats throwing more dye and r134 (money) at others that potentially leak.

Another thing about condensers, and I'm sure others will have more to say on this, is that they're tricky to test. Simply putting a 15 minute vacuum on it might not show a leak that would take a day of use to reveal with dye.

best, whit

And,after,stuffing in a questionable condenser,,,and a full charge of r134 and dye,(cuz thats what the shops do) then find out two weeks later that your a/c doesnt blow cold, and your drier was shot, too, now your out 3 1/2 pounds of r134,,,and that stuff is spendy!!!

Whit is right,,,,,get new parts,,,if someone is selling A/C parts,,,,might raise an eybrow as to why.

t_marat
05-14-2006, 02:50 AM
Whole winter I had been driving with air conditioner not working. The condenser had been broken in a frontal collision. As it was winter I decided to do it when it gets hot, meaning now.

what is a drier? evaporator? where is it located? why replace it just because the system was openned to the air?

trumpetr
05-14-2006, 03:05 AM
The condenser, and dryer,,are located in the front left, of the car,hard to get to,, the evap, is under the dashboard.
If your ac system has been open to the elements,,,,then you need to replace the dryer, too. The explaination is way too long and id be just repeating a very concise pervious post.

there was an extensive write up on this, not long ago.

Do a search on A/C air conditioning AC.
Ill try to find the post and direct you to it,,,,,
I share your frustrations with AC. expensive and frustrating.

trumpetr
05-14-2006, 03:12 AM
I am thinking of buying a used condenser. Car from which it will be taken had a fire in the engine bay. It was quickly extinguished and did not spread to the other parts of the car. I will definitely pressure test the condenser before buying (it looks ok).
But can there be any long term failure due to the fire it had to sustain? It is slightly covered with black smoke (soot).
Heres everything you need to know:

http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?p=159621&highlight=a%2Fc#post159621

t_marat
05-14-2006, 03:40 AM
I need to replace the dryer also because it is kind of a filter, and being open to the air it is kind of "clogged", right? The dessicant in it absorbed a lot of moisture (rainy days)?

632 Regal
05-14-2006, 05:29 AM
Yes! You got it now...lol

I need to replace the dryer also because it is kind of a filter, and being open to the air it is kind of "clogged", right? The dessicant in it absorbed a lot of moisture (rainy days)?