PDA

View Full Version : has anyone used this "water-wetter" from Redline?

SharkmanBMW
05-11-2006, 05:19 PM
I am going to place an order with Bruno at Racing King for some Redline fluids...

just want to know if this is worth anything?!

athflying79
05-11-2006, 05:30 PM
It is mostly for race applications where anti-freeze is not allowed. It has some anti-corrosive properties that is better than running straight water. Anti-freeze is slick on the track, so usually not allowed. Some say it will drop your running temps by 10-15 degrees...that is BS.

31Hertz
05-11-2006, 07:10 PM
Funny this pops up... I just added a bottle of Water Wetter to my 540's reservoir. Now, when I added this I also squeezed on the upper rad hose and the level in the coolant reservoir went down a notch. Was the system not fully bled? I guess there was some air trapped in there. So it may be a coincidence, but my temp guage now reads just to the left of (but still touching) the center hash mark; whereas before it was dead-on-center. Was it the trapped air making my engine run ever so slightly normal? OR is it the Water Wetter doing it's stuff? I don't know, but it was only $8.00 at Auto Zone.

632 Regal
05-11-2006, 07:22 PM
the wetter stuff is a complete waste if you use antifreeze...and the V8s self bleed, you dont have to ever bleed them.

onewhippedpuppy
05-11-2006, 08:09 PM
Guys in the 944 Turbo world swore by the stuff, they are notorious for running hot (water cooled turbo). Probably not worth the money on a regular NA car.

winfred
05-11-2006, 10:14 PM
it changes the surface tension of the coolent a little so it transfers heat better (slightly) i ran it in the bosses e30 m3 and it helped it stay in range, it won't cure a problem or work wonders but if you are on the edge it can help

Dash01
05-12-2006, 01:09 AM
I used in my Porsche 944 Turbo, and it helped to reduce temps somewhat. Not earth shattering, but maybe 10 degrees or so.

bahnstormer
05-12-2006, 10:01 AM
water has the best heat transfer of any fluid. period the end this is a fact.
so water wetter is only put into water to prevent rust and crap as was
said above...

adding water wetter to ur 50/50 mix is silly...just add more water

Bill R.
05-12-2006, 10:08 AM
water enabling it to transfer more heat... that said it doesn't make a tremendous difference on most of the cars i've seen it used on and on some cars it can cause problems since its very alkaline and your ph on your coolant can change quite a bit depending on whose coolant you use and what the ph is... isn't usually a problem on bmw's but it was on some of the older brass tanked soldered radiators.

water has the best heat transfer of any fluid. period the end this is a fact.
so water wetter is only put into water to prevent rust and crap as was
said above...

adding water wetter to ur 50/50 mix is silly...just add more water

Ross
05-12-2006, 10:13 AM
It has also worked for me on a Ferrari that had marginal cooling.

Qube
05-12-2006, 12:53 PM
On my car, the needle was edging slightly over the middle day-by-day. Not very much but noticable after a while. Added Water Wetter and the needle went back to just left of center (after a day). Does it work? Probably. Has the needle went past center? No. Draw your own conclusion.

BillionPa
05-12-2006, 01:55 PM
I use it.

It works.

I changes the surface tension of water which allows it to "adhere" to metal better, and also makes bleeding out air easier because the bubbles are pushed of surfaces by the lowered tension.

not that big of a deal on a V8 system, but all the I6s should benefit.

BigTed00
05-12-2006, 02:16 PM
I used it when I did the fan delete mod on my e36 (running without an engine fan). It always worked well for me, but I dont think I would spend my money on it unless it was for a specific application as was already mentioned

Qube
05-12-2006, 04:49 PM
BTW it's pretty close price. You'll find it off the shelf for 9 to 11 bucks.

Alexlind123
05-12-2006, 05:20 PM
On my car, the needle was edging slightly over the middle day-by-day. Not very much but noticable after a while. Added Water Wetter and the needle went back to just left of center (after a day). Does it work? Probably. Has the needle went past center? No. Draw your own conclusion.

If your needle was starting to "edge over" i would say there is something else wrong with your cooling system. It should never get past the 12 o'clock mark

Qube
05-13-2006, 12:13 AM
If your needle was starting to "edge over" i would say there is something else wrong with your cooling system. It should never get past the 12 o'clock mark

Yeah, that I know :) I have all the parts necessary for a complete cooling system change (rad, pump, hoses, etc). I just need to slate a full day to do it all... oh and I need to get rid of this green crap and get some BMW fluids.

Alexlind123
05-13-2006, 01:01 AM
Yeah, that I know :) I have all the parts necessary for a complete cooling system change (rad, pump, hoses, etc). I just need to slate a full day to do it all... oh and I need to get rid of this green crap and get some BMW fluids.

Wow, im surprised you car even runs at all with a bad radiator. Is it leaking?

Qube
05-13-2006, 02:43 AM
Wow, im surprised you car even runs at all with a bad radiator. Is it leaking?

Yeah minor leak. I promised my car that if she got through track day without problems, I'd do the entire cooling system. Note to self... buy BMW coolant tomorrow.