PDA

View Full Version : Ominous Rumbling noise

Alexlind123
05-11-2006, 04:46 PM
After i have been driving my car for a bit, when i come to a stop there is a rumble that i can hear with my window down. Its a deep sound, like a bad bearing might make. Today when i got home, i left the car in park and opened the hood and listened around but the results of my un-tuned ear were inconclusive as to where the noise might be coming from, although it seemed lower down somewhere. I plan to take the main belt off and spin the water pump and alternator to see if their bearings are bad. I hope its not the transmission :(

Any suggestions on what to inspect?

wingman
05-11-2006, 05:56 PM
Have a listen to the tranny. I used to be able to hear my E12 gearbox rumble quite clearly from the driver's seat, window down, next to a wall. Couldn't hear diddly squat from the engine bay. Going through Maccas drive through today?

Alexlind123
05-11-2006, 07:32 PM
Nope, no drive throughs. (i had to look up "maccas" on urbandictionary.com) The alternator and water pump *seemed* ok tho.

joshua43214
05-11-2006, 10:39 PM
Drive it until you hear the sound. remove the drive belts and run it again. Sounds typical for a failing water pump.

It is safe to run the engine with no belts for testing purposes.

Alexlind123
05-11-2006, 10:55 PM
I hope its the water pump. I will post an update tomorrow.

adamisbomb
05-12-2006, 02:42 AM
when i stop mine mikes like a churning sound, but i havent noticed it much lately