PDA

View Full Version : low fuel indicator light

Mendozart
05-11-2006, 11:58 AM
So how many people fill-up their fuel tanks when the light goes on? I know I usually push the range button and monitor that way. I've never let the range get below 40 miles remaining.

dacoyote
05-11-2006, 12:01 PM
So how many people fill-up their fuel tanks when the light goes on? I know I usually push the range button and monitor that way. I've never let the range get below 40 miles remaining.

I wait till the range zero's out at 9miles :-)... or at least I have a couple times driving on long road trips...

31Hertz
05-11-2006, 12:43 PM
With usual driving around town, I will let my trip ODO get to around 300 miles before I start thinking about how to fit in a trip to the BP station. There is only one in town that I take her to. But I cannot lie: I have seen the orange glow a couple of times (besides at start-up)...

JD525IA
05-11-2006, 01:00 PM
saying that letting the fuel get very low on a regular basis makes the fuel pump in the tank work harder and wear out faster?

I like to do a cheaper refill whenever the tank is at about 1/2 full, or some would see it as 1/2 empty.

JD

ILoveMPower
05-11-2006, 01:18 PM
saying that letting the fuel get very low on a regular basis makes the fuel pump in the tank work harder and wear out faster?

I believe certain engine components (most likely fuel pump) are lubricated by the fuel... certainly letting your car get ungodly low on gas can't be a good thing.

I usually fill as soon as the light starts intermittantly turning on and off.

SchnellE34
05-11-2006, 01:29 PM
I buy gas whenever I see a good price

Jay 535i
05-11-2006, 02:48 PM
I rarely let it get that low. I've only seen the light come on once or twice.

I park in an underground garage with steep inclines going in and out. I'm always worried that if I'm down to the last gallon I'll starve the fuel pickup while driving up/down an incline. I dunno if that's a valid worry, but I'm so full of invalid worries that one more won't kill me. :)

BlackOnBlack
05-12-2006, 12:58 AM
My light comes on with about 40-50 miles left on the range display. I'll usually drive it down to ~90 miles on the range display before I fill up. That's enough to get to work and back in case I don't get the chance to fill it up going or coming. I get easily over 400 miles per tank.

uscharalph
06-05-2006, 10:56 PM
I usually do smaller refills. It feels like less wallet pain, even though it's really not. I usually make a gas run at between 1/4 - 1/2 tank left.

BillionPa
06-05-2006, 11:41 PM
the more fuel in the tank, the more pressure due to gravity, and the less the pump has to work to produce the same amount of pressure.

and yes, the pump is lubricated by fuel, letting it get too low can sieze the pump.

KenB
06-06-2006, 04:05 AM
In winter I try to keep more than 1/2 tank, in case of snow, better traction with more weight in rear or plenty of gas if stuck in a storm in traffic. I've only seen the light come on in the e34 once. The rest of the year, I do like the feeling of less weight when the tank gets below 1/8, feels like it performs better. most of the time I fill it between 1/4 and 1/8.

In my e30 on long trips I really ran it low until after the OBC reads 9 it changed to ---- and blinks, I did have to replace a fuel pump in that car too, don't know if it was related to this practice.

we_call_him_doher
06-06-2006, 11:29 AM
Ya I wait until the light starts coming on whenever I first start the car. For some reason once the car gets to a 1/4 tank, and I park it for a while, when I start it the needle stays on R/the light comes on. I've never had to put more than 18 gallons in it though (I think my tank holds 21?), you guys get 400 miles on a single tank?? Thats amazing.

angrypancake
06-06-2006, 11:33 AM
only a couple times, when my range went blank, it was just blinking ---- at me.... guess thats about time to fill up? i try and refill around 1/4 if i can. winter time is always 1/2...

Mewsy
06-06-2006, 05:39 PM
that if you just drive faster, you will have less time to run out of fuel!! I like his train of thought..........:D :D :D

s_ribbens
06-06-2006, 06:16 PM
That's because they have 1 liter less engine displacement than we do.