PDA

View Full Version : OT Non-BMW stalled vehicle question

Dash01
05-10-2006, 09:35 PM
This morning at a traffic light, my '92 Ford E150 van just quit running.

It would not crank or restart til 30 mins. later, then started multiple times and ran fine all day. The mechanic could not detect any fault.

When it quit, the electric windows and turn signals failed completely, as well as no cranking or starting.

The OBDII diagnostic test showed no faults.

The battery was good, per bench test, and showed a good charge. So, alternator and battery are apparently OK.

Given the total electrical failure, seems like the fault must be pretty basic.

Any insights much appreciated!

Sorry for being off topic for BMW stuff, but we're stumped and need the van for daily chores.

632 Regal
05-10-2006, 09:40 PM
theres probably a major ground or cable issue somewhere. check all connections for corrosion too. I once had an intermittant power problem that finally traced to the batt positine cable, when I cut it apart it looked like someone cut the cable inside the plastic covering. Looked like a clean end cut and another cable was butt ended to it during manufacture.

Ross
05-11-2006, 10:22 AM
Check your harness at the firewall connector.

Felixdacat
05-11-2006, 03:48 PM
This might sound weird, but I had an 88 f150, and my truck did the same thing. It was my connection to the starter. I found this out after I payed a couple hundred to have the thing towed a fair distance. Also have you checked all of the thermal fuses in line on the positive cable? You will see a couple of black rubber buldges inline by the battery, and possibly by the firewall. If the line overheats the wires inside the rubber will melt, or create a gap between them.

SharkmanBMW
05-11-2006, 05:44 PM
F O R D = ****er Only Runs Downhill

good luck!

TheEndIsNear
05-11-2006, 06:01 PM
Dealt with that many times, always a grounding problem in my experience.

FORD - Found On Road Dead
FORD - Fix Or Repair Daily
FORD - ****ed Over Rebuild Dodge

The list goes on, I've owned my share...