PDA

View Full Version : Does all E34 have a deadbolt locking function?

Espen
05-10-2006, 01:55 AM
Hi.

Ive read alot of this fancy feature, but i cant get mine to deadlock.
I roll down my window, turn the key all to the right and hold it there. But i can still open it by pulling the lockpin upwards.

Mine is a 1992 German 525i M50.

I also have a problem when i turn the key fast to the right so that it locks, it wont stay locked, it just pops up again. I have to turn it to the right and hold it there for about 3 seconds, then it locks, pops up, and locks again. Anyone had that problem before?

Rob
05-10-2006, 02:10 AM
Deadlock is on all E34's as far as I know. It was definitely on your model/year as my 525i '90 has it. Sounds like there's a small issue with your locking system. Have you tried it from the passengers side?

Espen
05-10-2006, 02:38 AM
When i lock from my passenger side, the centrallocking does not work, it only locks the passenger door..

Im gonna fit a keyless entry module, thats why i wonder if i have a deadlock function or not..
And the lock signal from the keyless entry module is just a pulse, so i think my locks wil just pop open again... that what happends when i just "pulse" my key to the right, and not keep it there for some seconds..

Rob
05-10-2006, 02:46 AM
Locking from Pass side, driver's side or from the trunk should lock all doors and the trunk. Your locking system has a sfew faults with it. I'd suggest getting it fixed before having the keyless entry put it. Otherwise you're going to have more problems with that as well.

Espen
05-10-2006, 03:07 AM
Ok, any suggestions? I dont quite know where to start looking for faults. Relays?

ILoveMPower
05-10-2006, 03:19 AM
When i lock from my passenger side, the centrallocking does not work, it only locks the passenger door..

Im gonna fit a keyless entry module, thats why i wonder if i have a deadlock function or not..
And the lock signal from the keyless entry module is just a pulse, so i think my locks wil just pop open again... that what happends when i just "pulse" my key to the right, and not keep it there for some seconds..

I have this same odd problem, but I also have keyless entry (aftermarket) installed. Occasionally I have the problem of my locks popping back unlocked, but usually if I just hold the button for an extra half second or so I have no trouble. :)

Hope this helps,
-JK

Espen
05-10-2006, 03:28 AM
Yes it helped me just by knowing that others have the same problem
Does your car deadlock?

I dont know if my keyless system is able to send a "longer" signal when i hold the button..

joshua43214
05-10-2006, 09:32 AM
As far as I know, all e34's had double lock feature. Fix the centrla locking before you install the aftermaret keyless entry. All you your symptoms are common and have been covered many many times, search the forums and you will find every thing.

Lock, locks tthen unlocks, has 2 common problems, the door latch is sticky or the actuator is weak. If the lock is not able to travel far enough, the locking module will interpret its posistion as an unlock command and unlock the doors.

ILoveMPower
05-10-2006, 09:44 AM
I'm not aware of the deadlock feature or how to use it, perhaps you could inform me and I'll try it out ;)

31Hertz
05-10-2006, 12:40 PM
I have a 95 and it does not have the deadbolt locking feature (or is it broken?)

joshua43214
05-10-2006, 01:01 PM
I have a 95 and it does not have the deadbolt locking feature (or is it broken?)

You do have it, it is called double lock not deadbolt. the owners manual has a full description of how to use it. basicaly turning the key partway locks the car, turning it all the way double locks the car. when double locked, you can not unlock the car from the inside or start the engine until it is unlocked with the key or the remote. you can double lock the 540i by hitting the lock button 2 times on the remote, if you do this, you will not be able to unlock the double lock with the key, so use it at your own risk since EWS-II sucks.

Not sure when people started calling this deadbolt.

Espen
05-10-2006, 02:21 PM
I called it deadbolt just because i saw other calling it that.
Its a bolt that physical locks the actuator, right?

Ive searched alot on my problems, but my english skills aren`t that good, so i couldnt find the right keyword to search for.

It allways work the second time the car tries to lock when i hold the key all the way to the right, but it doesnt doublelock..

Any englishspeaking people who could find appropiate searchwords for me? For the following subjects:
-Central lock not working on passenger side.
-Double lock not working
-Lock pops back to open, when i do a "quick push" on the key to the right..

Thank`s alot.

Espen.

Incantation
05-10-2006, 02:52 PM
or start the engine

i didn't know that.. that's pretty cool so i guess putting the code in is just an extra safety function if that's the case

Espen
05-10-2006, 03:27 PM
Oh well, i forgot to mention that my windows and sunroof doesnt roll upp when i hold the key all to the right.. Could it be the "sensor" in the lock that doesnt "know" that the key is all the way to the double lock position?

Paul in NZ
05-10-2006, 03:32 PM
AFAIK the early cars had the two posistion locking 1st was normal lock,second was double lock or deadlocking.The later cars may double lock automatically ,esp from the remote.If you want to research these problems the easiest way is to look at Javiers profile and look through his posts,he ussually responds,to these sort of questions.Its a multi feedback system,so there are different components and lots of wiring,to do which on the face of it seems a simple thing.

SchnellE34
05-10-2006, 05:19 PM
Ok I just went out to the car to double check before posting. Not sure if this is going to help cause my car is a '95.

First of all, you don't have to have the window open to double lock the doors. (you said 'I rolled down the window and tried the double lock') Just an FYI.

With Key, on driver's side: I hold the key as far as it will go to the right about 45 deg and the doors lock. If I hold it there all windows and sunroof will close. But I never hear the double lock.

With Remote: I press the top button and the doors lock. I press the middle button and I can hear the double lock. You may want to ask Jay about his aftermarket install. (http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=21685) But I'm not sure if you will be able to use th double lock feature with an aftermarket keyless entry system. I put an auto start/keyless entry system into my '89 535i and the installers told me that the remote would not double lock the doors. Also on my '89 I could have sworn I had to turn the key completely horizontal (90 deg to the right) to double lock the doors. Not sure if you can do this but its worth a shot.

Anyways, I think you have an actuator problem. Do a search on the board for more information.

If you knew all this disregard my post, just my .02

joshua43214
05-10-2006, 05:29 PM
i didn't know that.. that's pretty cool so i guess putting the code in is just an extra safety function if that's the case

EWS-I(remote fob) may not have starter lockout, but EWS-II(3 button key) does, as well as he code in the OBC on the e34. The EWS-II(and maybe the EWS-I) can have the double lock feature defeated by the dealer so it wont function any more as well. Its all over redundant IMO. It is almost impossible to over ride the ignition lock on a BMW in the feild. Anyone who can do this, will be smart enough to just tow your car to a chop shop or stick a gun in your face while you are stoped at a light.

The double lock feature is cool in some places, but all it will do is slow a thief down a bit, not stop them. If you have ever fixed cars that where broken into by professionals, its pretty clear that not much would stop them. They will be in and out of your car with all your valuables long before the police arrive even with the alarm blaring. Not to mention, thieves will often slash tires or break all the windows if they get pissed at your car for not opening up. I knew a guy back in the early 80's that put razor blades on the bottom of his FM convertor, he found his convertor gone, all of his tires slashed and the body looked like it had been gone over with a sledge hammer. And he still had too clean all the blood from his interior. I have seen this sort of stuff on cars I have worked on over the years as well.

I normaly recomend to people not to use the double lock feature both because of the buggy nature of EWS and the potential for revenge from a would be thief.

The owners manual has the best description I have seen on how to operate the door locks and the assorted features, I would read this to get an understanding of what it is supposed to do.

Basicaly, when you operate any of the key locks, you are triping a microswitch that tell the EWS to lock or unlock all of the doors. If a lock does not travel far enough, the EWS will interpret that as a comand to unlock and then unlock all the doors. so, if every thing works fine from one door, but not another, themicr switch in the faulty door is most suspect. If a door locks and pops up again, most likely it is a weak actuator or a sticky latch.

Search the forums, there a tons of posts on this.

31Hertz
05-10-2006, 06:15 PM
"You do have it, it is called double lock not deadbolt." Ach, ja Joshua, I see it now on page 9... I was accustomed to the E28 which you had to turn the extra distance to engage. I have read the manual, but it's been a while. It is funny that they call it the "double lock" since you really have no choice. I guess it's akin to "these locks go to eleven." :p

Kakaire
05-11-2006, 12:04 AM
Search for "Trunk Hinge wires"

Espen
05-11-2006, 02:36 AM
Ive read through some post from Javier on this subject..

Ive also tested alittle on my car, the conclusion so far:

When unlocked, i turn the key right 90degrees in the drivers door, all doors locks, and all of them pops up again

When unlocked, i turn the key right 90 degrees in the drivers door, and hold it there, all doors locks, unlocks and locks again.

When unlocked, i turn the key right 45 degrees in the passengers door, only this door closes.

When unlocked, i turn the key left 90 degrees in the trunk, all door locks.

When locked from the drivers door, i try to unlock from passengers door, nothing happens, i can turn the key about 45degrees to the left, but none of the doors opens.

When locked from the drivers door, i try to unlock from the trunk, all locks opens.

When locked from the drivers door, i try to unlock from the drivers door, all locks opens.

It seems like the passenger door actuator is the problem, but it still obeys the commands sent from the drivers door, it seem like it cant send signal to GM module to lock all other doors. It only locks its own lock when i turn the key. Could it be a oneway wiring problem from the passenger lock actuator to the GM module?

Or maybe its the drivers door that is cracked. If i close from the trunk, all seems OK, except i cant double lock from the trunk..

Paul in NZ
05-11-2006, 05:40 AM
thats right you cant double lock from the "trunk",i dont think its the passengers actuaaotor i think its the passengers latch,microswitch or wiring

Espen
05-11-2006, 05:52 AM
Ill try to remove my doorpanel after work, and take a look.

I found this in this post (http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=19943).. might be usefull:

For who ever have a 1991 and before model, to have the issue related to the need of locking twice to have the knobs stay down, mean a trouble in the trunk lock actuator, as long as driver's knob issue the lock command properly when pushed down. In this case, probably the trunk will not issue the lock command to the GM. Experience has show to this forum members that the problem mostly is in the hinge harness.

GoldenOne
05-11-2006, 09:52 AM
I also have a problem when i turn the key fast to the right so that it locks, it wont stay locked, it just pops up again. I have to turn it to the right and hold it there for about 3 seconds, then it locks, pops up, and locks again. Anyone had that problem before?

I used to have this same "problem" espen...I figured (atleast) on mine, when you lock the car and the locks pop back up, its telling you that somethings still not locked. That something is the trunk, if the slot is vertical, it is unlocked and you will have to turn the key twice if you wanted to lock only the four doors.

So you only have to "lock once" by the drivers door, insert the key into the trunk slot, turn right 90 degrees and remove the key while its still in the horizontal position. Here it will lock all doors, but go to the drivers door or passenger, unlock the car, then lock it again...hopefully you will happily see that the car will lock once and not pop back up again.

You just have to keep in mind whether or not the trunk is unlocked. This irritated the living hell outta me for the first two weeks I bought my E34.

Hope this helps!

Espen
05-11-2006, 12:54 PM
Hey.. Thanks, ill try that!

I removed the back seat now, and found out that i allready have a keyless system.. It was not connected though. a big black bmw marked box with an antenna on. It was markeg "GEMEL ITALY" The product number on it was 82929402527, I googled it and RealOEM.COM (http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=GD21&mospid=47340&btnr=65_1033&hg=65&fg=95&hl=77) says it is an "Control Unit Alarm System" It is obviously not working, its full av scratches and screwdrivermarks. And I dont have the remotes for it.

Here is the 1 millon$ question, who can find the drawing for the wiring to this box, i think i can connect my aftermarket keyless system to the alarm units wires.. At least some of them..?

I`ll make a new thread on this subject.. This is off topic.. and the question in this topic have allready bin answered.

The new thread is HERE (http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?p=162356#post162356)

Espen
05-11-2006, 01:57 PM
I used to have this same "problem" espen...I figured (atleast) on mine, when you lock the car and the locks pop back up, its telling you that somethings still not locked. That something is the trunk, if the slot is vertical, it is unlocked and you will have to turn the key twice if you wanted to lock only the four doors.

So you only have to "lock once" by the drivers door, insert the key into the trunk slot, turn right 90 degrees and remove the key while its still in the horizontal position. Here it will lock all doors, but go to the drivers door or passenger, unlock the car, then lock it again...hopefully you will happily see that the car will lock once and not pop back up again.

You just have to keep in mind whether or not the trunk is unlocked. This irritated the living hell outta me for the first two weeks I bought my E34.

Hope this helps!

I cheked the trunk lock thing.. mine was horizontall, i tried both ways but it still pops up...